Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Just a thought, lots of daylight might help things if there's jaundice. Also we saw a cranial osteopath who helped loads (i literally credit her with getting j feeding), might be there's some misalignment from the forceps?

Hi, I just have a couple of questions about my 6 week old..

She is EBF, we have used nipple shields until 4 weeks and are weaning off. She isn't having trouble latching but between let downs isn't patient enough to stay on without the nipple shield.. Is this common? She gets frustrated with the waiting so won't suck then nothing comes out, how do I get her to stay on for more than a few minutes at a time?

Also, the last week she has been crying whenever I take her off to burp her. Even when she is finished she will cry for a couple of minutes then calm down, it's making me worry she isn't getting enough. Sometimes she takes her face away and cries while I'm feeding her, could something I've been eating be making the milk bad? It sounds like a painful, frustrated cry :( She has also started spewing a bit in the last two weeks, just after a feed will sick up a little bit. I'm sure it's normal but I'm wondering why it wasn't like that in the start?

Thanks in advance :flower:

It sounds to me more like an overactive let down/oversupply than an undersupply, problem with the milk or slow let down especially if she has started sicking up after feeds and is crying on the breast and pulling away-it sounds to me like the flow may be a bit too fast for her to handle. Have you tried lying down or feeding slightly reclined? xx

It definitely is too much for her to handle at the start of each feed, she often coughs and chokes a bit but then it's as though she can't get it fast enough a few minutes in :shrug: We lie down for a few feeds a day and it doesn't actually make any difference with the coughing or pulling off and crying. She also smacks me with her hands. I'm so confused.

Do you think her appearing frustrated with the flow could actually be wind caused by the fast letdown? Have you tried pumping a little before feeding or feeding sitting up but with your back reclined? xx

Thanks for all the advice so far. Hope it is ok to keep posting here?
She seems more awake today. She fed from me at 7pm yesterday and 6am. The 6am was only 8mins but I couldn't express at all afterwards so when she gets it right it seems really efficient - does that seem possible? At least with being more awake she is at least rooting and trying at each feed which makes giving the bottle easier. Getting really good volumes too - up to 75ml at a time - so at least supply isn't an issue. Her poo has now changed too.
Midwife was really happy with her today, less jaundiced and more alert. She agrees with me that she's behaving a bit like a premmie 35 weeker. I honestly think she wasn't ready when I was induced but understand it was the safest thing to do. She also suggested trying nipple shields to help her latch so husband has just been sent out for them. We are spending most of the day in bed skin to skin too, except when her other grandpa comes to meet her.
Does that sound like I'm doing the right things?
Thanks for letting me rant.

Sounds good to me :) are you pumping every time you bottle feed her? Even over night altho I know it's a faff. Can't remember if you said if you were offering boob before bottle but that might be a good plan.

Yep pumping every time. I offer both breasts before bottle then again half way though bottle if she's alert and rooting. It's tiring. I've emailed some local la leche leaders today too.

Sounds great then, others might be able to add more but you're def getting there :)

It can be hard work but I sometimes think that bf has all the hard work at the start then it's easy, with formula feeding it's a faff all the way through as you have to find hot water and wash up and if baby isn't hungry but you thought they were it all goes to waste, with bf you just pop a boob out. It's so worth it, you're doing great.

beanhunter sounds like you're doing everything right to me! One thing you might like to try though is biological nurturing. In a nutshell, you let baby find and latch onto the breast herself, so she's more comfortable with the latch and doesn't feel as though it's forced onto her if you see what I mean?? google it for more info, might help, might not :flower:

beanhunter, you're doing an awesome job!!

By the way, here's the biological nurturing link. https://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

Well my husband bought some avent shields - couldn't find any other brand on a Sunday pm. Was horrified looking at them as the nipple bit seems massive! However, she's just fed 15 mins one side and 10 the other and then I could only express about 20 mls afterwards and then she went to sleep without a bottle. Any tips on either best ways to use them and then remove or which brand is best?

Well my husband bought some avent shields - couldn't find any other brand on a Sunday pm. Was horrified looking at them as the nipple bit seems massive! However, she's just fed 15 mins one side and 10 the other and then I could only express about 20 mls afterwards and then she went to sleep without a bottle. Any tips on either best ways to use them and then remove or which brand is best?

I used Avent shields too, after trying some of the other brands out there, and for me they were the best of the bunch. Don't be put off by the size of the nipple! What I used to do was wash them quickly after a feed, then fling them into a big tupperware box filled with a water/milton solution to sterilise them (takes 15 mins). No need to rinse after this, so as soon as baby wanted feeding again I was ready in seconds. HTH :flower:

Oh yes shields are huge!

There's a la leche article somewhere about how stuff doesn't need sterilising if it's just breastmilk, something like the good bacteria in the bm kill off the bad bacteria anyway so may as well just wash it in hot soapy water. I sterilised my shields for yonks then a IBCLC told me about it. I did read the article but ofc can't find it now.

I haven't used the Avent shields.. but I had an LC show me a helpful way to get the shields to stay on better..
Pull on the shield until the nipple is almost popped inward and the shield is almost inside out and try to put some expressed breast milk around the edges of the shield.. and around your nipple.
Then put over your nipple and let the shield pop back into shape.. that usually helps the shield stay on a bit better. :thumbup:

Just seen midwife and Maddie has put on 90g in 4 days! She's really happy with her an also said that her latch with the shields is good and that because she will root so well without although she also couldn't get her to latch that she thinks it will all get better and we will be free of them in the next few weeks. Feel so relieved. Madeleine has been so much more awake today and actually demand feeding rather than me clock watching. Hopefully this is the start of things improving but I'm sure I'll have lots more questions for you all. I also haven't cried for over 24hrs which feels like a massive achievement!

That's great news, hun! You and your LO are doing a fab job. :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"