Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I've asked if we can make the BF buddies thread in the pregnancy buddies section a sticky. Hopefully that will make it easier to find. :thumbup: Just waiting to see if we can. :flower:

I've asked if we can make the BF buddies thread in the pregnancy buddies section a sticky. Hopefully that will make it easier to find. :thumbup: Just waiting to see if we can. :flower:

That should help matters!! Let's hope it's approved :flower:

Hi there,

I've been BFing for 3 weeks 1 day - my DS was 9lbs 7oz at birth and has been very hungry from the start, cluster feeding for hours on end sometimes.

So the first thing I would love support on is expressing, as we've resorted to the occasional bottle ready made formula so I can rest, and would prefer this to be my milk!

Secondly, DS was described as having 'mild tongue tie', but so far has fed well and gained weight famously (only lost 5 oz on day 5, up to 9lbs 10oz on day 10) in the last day or two he has intermittently come off the breast and then cant seem to latch on again...just a phase or should i revisit the TT issue?

Thank you :thumbup:

Hi there,

I've been BFing for 3 weeks 1 day - my DS was 9lbs 7oz at birth and has been very hungry from the start, cluster feeding for hours on end sometimes.

So the first thing I would love support on is expressing, as we've resorted to the occasional bottle ready made formula so I can rest, and would prefer this to be my milk!

Secondly, DS was described as having 'mild tongue tie', but so far has fed well and gained weight famously (only lost 5 oz on day 5, up to 9lbs 10oz on day 10) in the last day or two he has intermittently come off the breast and then cant seem to latch on again...just a phase or should i revisit the TT issue?

Hi there - and well done for doing an amazing job :thumbup:

Re the tt, it is possible the hours of cluster feeding could indicate a difficulty in sucking....or it could be normal. Do you think you have over supply? Signs might be fast strong letdown, spurting out everywhere at the beginning of a feed, him seeming to choke or splutter at the start of a feed, and him coming off when you let down and perhaps refusing to go back on the same side but not appearing satisfied.

I only ask because if you do have over supply it could explain the excellent weight gain in a baby with tt. Not saying the tt is an issue, but good weight gain doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an issue...if that makes sense?!
How does his latch seem? Any nipple pain?

My LO had severe tt but very good weight gain - but I was in agony for every feed so there was definitely an issue!

HTH :hugs:

Eta: what sort of help with expressing are you after? I expressed from 4wks to get a break from the pain and LO never had an issue switching between boob and bottle - but it was only a handful times maybe once a week. It is generally advised to wait until 4-6 weeks before expressing as it can confuse your supply while it's regulating, but do what you need to do to keep your sanity in the early weeks!

Just as a thought you might have the breastfeeding champ blinkies go to the other thread too!

Hi there,

Hi there - and well done for doing an amazing job :thumbup:

Re the tt, it is possible the hours of cluster feeding could indicate a difficulty in sucking....or it could be normal. Do you think you have over supply? Signs might be fast strong letdown, spurting out everywhere at the beginning of a feed, him seeming to choke or splutter at the start of a feed, and him coming off when you let down and perhaps refusing to go back on the same side but not appearing satisfied.

I only ask because if you do have over supply it could explain the excellent weight gain in a baby with tt. Not saying the tt is an issue, but good weight gain doesn't necessarily mean it isn't an issue...if that makes sense?!
How does his latch seem? Any nipple pain?

My LO had severe tt but very good weight gain - but I was in agony for every feed so there was definitely an issue!

HTH :hugs:

Eta: what sort of help with expressing are you after? I expressed from 4wks to get a break from the pain and LO never had an issue switching between boob and bottle - but it was only a handful times maybe once a week. It is generally advised to wait until 4-6 weeks before expressing as it can confuse your supply while it's regulating, but do what you need to do to keep your sanity in the early weeks!

I don't think I have over supply - the milk will start to come before he's latched on but dribbling really, he has appeared to choke once or twice but not at the beginning of a feed..

I'm getting a little desperate as his night feeds are now not going well, hence time of posting! until a few days ago he would feed wonderfully but now he feeds for 5 min tops, comes off and cant get back on again, yet still appears hungry. its very frustrating for us all and he's getting overtired with it..

I don't think I have over supply - the milk will start to come before he's latched on but dribbling really, he has appeared to choke once or twice but not at the beginning of a feed..

I'm getting a little desperate as his night feeds are now not going well, hence time of posting! until a few days ago he would feed wonderfully but now he feeds for 5 min tops, comes off and cant get back on again, yet still appears hungry. its very frustrating for us all and he's getting overtired with it..[/QUOTE]

UPDATE:

Sorry for the delirious middle-of-night post!

After a very tiring 3 hours he finally slept, in the end he was too tired to do anything except rest his head on the breast:sleep: woke up 2 hours later ready to start his day and fed nicely - I did tilt myself back a bit unintentionally to feed out of tiredness, and that seemed to help? Perhaps you're right about oversupply?

I'm a little terrified as we've planned a couple of days away at my parents 200 miles away and hadn't bargained on the BFing being uncertain!

In need of help again! So I had mastitis and finished antibiotics 10 days ago. Felt completely better. Now am sore again on the same side bit lumpy and feels different. The pain is deep inside if you know what I mean. I can express easily so not convinced it is a blocked duct but what else could it be? Pain no better after feeding. No red area and no white spots on nipple. Baby hasn't got thrush in her mouth. What does thrush feel like?

My thrush has been a burning pain, I felt it all through the feed and for a few hours afterwards too. It's really horrible. Hope you don't have thrush. X

Have just had a good luck and there is a big red welt again! I guess it's a blocked duct and I am not amused at all! Still getting good flow and planning to feed lots and express and hope I can clear it without it becoming mastitis.

Someone I know suggested getting baby to feed with their chin where the lump is.

Remember that your breast is like multiple bunches of grapes so it's possible for a bit to get blocked and still be able to pump and feed well out of all the other 'bunches'.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things and hopefully it won't go to mastitis this time. Some people are more prone to blockages than others but it might be worth getting your positioning and latch checked as it would seem like your LO isn't managing to drain the breast fully.

xXx

Thanks. Managed to get her on in rugby ball position yesterday and it was initially agony but the blocked area does seem to be smaller and less red/painful. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted. I don't think she does drain fully - I think my supply is more than she needs at the moment so I often feel quite full. Latch is usually good but somedays she will be all clicky and I have no idea what's different or how to correct it.

Sent a pm then realised I was meant to post it in the thread if I wanted to be added as a BF champion. Blaming the lack of sleep!!:haha:

Anyway, I'm happy to to be anyone's personal cheering section. Here are the specific things I've had personal experience with, if you'd like to add me to the list.

BFing after elective c sections for medical reasons, BF for over 1 year, BFing with little to no support, establishing milk supply after being separated from baby during 1st week, forceful let down, oversupply, baby falling asleep while bfing, sore nipples, exclusive bfing (first child), supplimenting (second baby), co-sleeping, NIP, babywearing (I'm a newbie at this, but I'm happy to discuss and share experiences), prolonged teething, having to wean off breast suddenly, cluster feeding, engorgement, baby refusing bottle... and, that's all I can think of at the moment, LOL

Sent a pm then realised I was meant to post it in the thread if I wanted to be added as a BF champion. Blaming the lack of sleep!!:haha:

Anyway, I'm happy to to be anyone's personal cheering section. Here are the specific things I've had personal experience with, if you'd like to add me to the list.

BFing after elective c sections for medical reasons, BF for over 1 year, BFing with little to no support, establishing milk supply after being separated from baby during 1st week, forceful let down, oversupply, baby falling asleep while bfing, sore nipples, exclusive bfing (first child), supplimenting (second baby), co-sleeping, NIP, babywearing (I'm a newbie at this, but I'm happy to discuss and share experiences), prolonged teething, having to wean off breast suddenly, cluster feeding, engorgement, baby refusing bottle... and, that's all I can think of at the moment, LOL

PM or thread, either works!! :haha: I'll add you when I have more than a second to check out BnB, but in the meantime consider yourself a champ and grab the champion blinkie from the first post on this thread. Welcome aboard! :flower:

Thanks. Managed to get her on in rugby ball position yesterday and it was initially agony but the blocked area does seem to be smaller and less red/painful. Fingers crossed it'll get sorted. I don't think she does drain fully - I think my supply is more than she needs at the moment so I often feel quite full. Latch is usually good but somedays she will be all clicky and I have no idea what's different or how to correct it.

Have you tried pumping once she has finished feeding to drain the rest of the boob?

When Jacob is being lazy I manually move his lower lip down a bit more to increase the size of the latch.

PM or thread, either works!! :haha: I'll add you when I have more than a second to check out BnB, but in the meantime consider yourself a champ and grab the champion blinkie from the first post on this thread. Welcome aboard! :flower:

Way-hey!
I'm excited to get the chance to help!

Hi girls, wondering if anyone can help me. I've just found out I am pregnant again - total surprise 'on the pill and while breastfeeding' baby!! Super happy though :)
My milk supply has taken a bit of a dive, does anyone know of a safe way to increase milk. I don't want to dry up yet, by 8 month old still needs me.

Hi girls, wondering if anyone can help me. I've just found out I am pregnant again - total surprise 'on the pill and while breastfeeding' baby!! Super happy though :)
My milk supply has taken a bit of a dive, does anyone know of a safe way to increase milk. I don't want to dry up yet, by 8 month old still needs me.

Thats a tough one. I have read that mothers milk, and fenugreek should not be taken during pregnancy to get your supply up. I've heard oatmeal is great with milk production. Have you tried that?
Sorry im not much of a help, usually I see most women have to give up breastfeeding in pregnancy cause the milk decrease or baby does not like the taste of the milk anymore. I hope someone answers your question and you can continue to feed bubs as long as you both want too:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->