Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

my lo keeps throwing up almost every feed. Putting on weight like a champ. gets hiccups and is hard to burp. We are currently trying only one Breast at a time till he finishes and sitting him up for 30 mins after each feed. Does that sound like it will help? Plus I'm having a hard time with finding a more up right position for him to feed on me. i'l sit him on my lap facing my breast but I need it so my posture doesn't go bad, as I have back issues. Please any advice is welcome :) could he have reflux? I love him with all my heart and don't want to ever have to give up breast feeding. plus do I keep demand feeding him? and when is it safe to let him sleep longer then 4 hours? he generally wakes earlier but sometimes sleeps thru. thanks reading this thru .lol

His old is bubby?

bubby is two weeks tomorrow. Please excuse my dumbness. He is our first child

Clucky mine is nearly 3 weeks and is exactly the same! My 1st baby too so I'm stalking this bit!!

I'm a BF Champion, but we can all use a little help! Can anyone give any insight on my post: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...th-old-bf-baby-suddenly-refusing-bottles.html

I'm a BF Champion, but we can all use a little help! Can anyone give any insight on my post: https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/b...th-old-bf-baby-suddenly-refusing-bottles.html

Hey, I'm a BF champion too but post here all the time. :haha: You can never know it all, we all learn bit by bit.

Okay, whilst I don't have respective experience, I have two hypotheses. One, how long has he been going to daycare for? Could it be that he misses you and suddenly all he wants is 'the real thing?'. Two, how are you on the teething front? Could he be that he's teething and the bottle teat rubs against his sore gums? What type of teat do you use, silicone or rubber?

Finally, I've read that it's normal for babies to change their preferences every so often, and it should not alarm the parents. However, I'm not sure this could apply here. If you can't find an answer to that in a few days, you can perhaps contact a BF consultant? Our pedi is one and I turn to him for questions I can never find the answer to anywhere else.

:hugs:

Hey, I'm a BF champion too but post here all the time. :haha: You can never know it all, we all learn bit by bit.

Okay, whilst I don't have respective experience, I have two hypotheses. One, how long has he been going to daycare for? Could it be that he misses you and suddenly all he wants is 'the real thing?'. Two, how are you on the teething front? Could he be that he's teething and the bottle teat rubs against his sore gums? What type of teat do you use, silicone or rubber?

Finally, I've read that it's normal for babies to change their preferences every so often, and it should not alarm the parents. However, I'm not sure this could apply here. If you can't find an answer to that in a few days, you can perhaps contact a BF consultant? Our pedi is one and I turn to him for questions I can never find the answer to anywhere else.

We started doing one bottle daily at 3 weeks old. He started daycare parttime at 3 months old... so its been about 5 months now. Then we upped it to fulltime daycare when I had to go back to work when he was 6.5 months old. So hes been full time for about 7 weeks. maybe youre right, maybe he misses me. :)

I do not think he is teething. He has his two bottom teeth, and I knew when those were coming. He was waking frequently and very very fussy. Now hes not fussy at all and his gums appear fine.

Thanks for your advice. Do you think its okay for him nutritionally if he only nurses at 7am, 5pm, and 7pm for his age (8 months). Sometimes he will also wake around 4am for a 4th nursing session.

That's fine, nutrition wise but he could just be going through a phase. Can you try a sippy cup or even a cup with no lid?

You're not dumb! Is bubby crying in pain before throwing up? Is there a lot of spit up? There are many things that can cause spitting up after feeds. Reflux usually comes with pain and sometimes lack of weight gain. Some babies are just "spitty" babies and there is nothing wrong.

Sitting bubs up after a feed will help keep the milk down. You can also try taking bubs off when you let down and letting that initial rush of milk absorb into a towel and then pop bubby back on so the milk flow he gets is slower.

Good luck xx

You're not dumb! Is bubby crying in pain before throwing up? Is there a lot of spit up? There are many things that can cause spitting up after feeds. Reflux usually comes with pain and sometimes lack of weight gain. Some babies are just "spitty" babies and there is nothing wrong.

Sitting bubs up after a feed will help keep the milk down. You can also try taking bubs off when you let down and letting that initial rush of milk absorb into a towel and then pop bubby back on so the milk flow he gets is slower.

Good luck xx
he does sometimes cry before throw ing up but not much. He more fusses when he isn't on boob. But he gets real fussy just after a feed. Doesn't like being burped. I have tried the sit straight up method. And it seems to be helping. also I get really full so let him have a taste to stop the hunger and let the flow slow down . Thanks for the info I think it will be of great help. :flower:

Good luck :) I know my babies hates getting burped but sometimes burping half way through really helps that air get out :)

We started doing one bottle daily at 3 weeks old. He started daycare parttime at 3 months old... so its been about 5 months now. Then we upped it to fulltime daycare when I had to go back to work when he was 6.5 months old. So hes been full time for about 7 weeks. maybe youre right, maybe he misses me. :)

I do not think he is teething. He has his two bottom teeth, and I knew when those were coming. He was waking frequently and very very fussy. Now hes not fussy at all and his gums appear fine.

Thanks for your advice. Do you think its okay for him nutritionally if he only nurses at 7am, 5pm, and 7pm for his age (8 months). Sometimes he will also wake around 4am for a 4th nursing session.

Hey hon. My LO nurses about 4/5 times a day now, plus a couple of times during the night but I know that's comfort nursing because she's teething and falls asleep like a couple of minutes after she latches on. We're on three meals a day now. Count how many swallows per breath your son gets. If he gulps down a lot every few breaths :haha:, chances are he's getting a lot of milk. How are you on the peeing front? How often do you have to change him?

It sounds to me that he's going through a transitional stage. When did you start weaning him? How many meals a day is he on? He may come back to the bottle once he gets used to the full-time daycare routine, or he may start to get lesser feeds between meals, which is normal methinks.

x

In desperate need of advice....
Okay so first please dont judge as I feel awful already...
I have a cruise booked with my DH for 7 days my DS will be exactly 9 months old when we leave and I am VERY VERY concerned he will not want me when I come home. Have you heard of anyone taking that long of a break and the baby still wanting to nurse after? I plan on pumping and storing until then but I am struggling getting enough. I have a BA a year and a half ago and it really affected my milk supply. Any tips on increasing supply enough to pump and store for a week? Thanks in advance

Hey hon. My LO nurses about 4/5 times a day now, plus a couple of times during the night but I know that's comfort nursing because she's teething and falls asleep like a couple of minutes after she latches on. We're on three meals a day now. Count how many swallows per breath your son gets. If he gulps down a lot every few breaths :haha:, chances are he's getting a lot of milk. How are you on the peeing front? How often do you have to change him?

It sounds to me that he's going through a transitional stage. When did you start weaning him? How many meals a day is he on? He may come back to the bottle once he gets used to the full-time daycare routine, or he may start to get lesser feeds between meals, which is normal methinks.

x

Thanks ladies. I think he drinks ALOT of a milk from me when he nurses. When I feel full I can pump like 8 oz and to me it feels like he will often drink the same "amount" when he nurses so he probably is getting a lot. I guess I was just worried that he wasnt getting enough during the day when away from me. it's been about a week now and he's either refused the bottle or drank very little (under 3oz) the whole day away from me. We tried the sippy cup but he still refused. Hes drinking plenty of water from the sippy cup and eating lots of solids.

I decided to stop worrying about it. He's 8 months old, and very happy and healthy, and so i;m going to follow his lead. He still breastfeeds great morning and at night so I'm going to just try to stop stressing so much, and if he doesnt do a bottle at daycare so be it. i'm going to keep sneding in my pumped milk though for a while just in case he wants it.

I have a cruise booked with my DH for 7 days my DS will be exactly 9 months old when we leave and I am VERY VERY concerned he will not want me when I come home. Have you heard of anyone taking that long of a break and the baby still wanting to nurse after? I plan on pumping and storing until then but I am struggling getting enough. I have a BA a year and a half ago and it really affected my milk supply. Any tips on increasing supply enough to pump and store for a week? Thanks in advance

Hi I dont really know personally but I think you might not really know what will happen until the time arrives. for a week away you will need close to 400oz of pumped breastmilk. You will also need to either pump and dump on the cruise or plan a way to transport it all home with you. Just something to keep in mind.

I think thats fantastic that thats your goal and i hope it works!! I do think there may be a little challenge when you get back, but most likly by that point you will be able to get him back to the breast. When the time comes you might try nursing him in the middle of the night when you return. I found that whenever my son went on a "nursing strike" he will always still latch in the middle of the night because he forgets about his mini-protest!

Good luck and start saving milk ASAP!!! Trying pumping everyday after your first morning feed. After a week or so of doing this your body will start producing extra milk at that time for you. Thats how I built up my supply. Doing it at the same time everyday helps.

Hi I dont really know personally but I think you might not really know what will happen until the time arrives. for a week away you will need close to 400oz of pumped breastmilk. You will also need to either pump and dump on the cruise or plan a way to transport it all home with you. Just something to keep in mind.

I think thats fantastic that thats your goal and i hope it works!! I do think there may be a little challenge when you get back, but most likly by that point you will be able to get him back to the breast. When the time comes you might try nursing him in the middle of the night when you return. I found that whenever my son went on a "nursing strike" he will always still latch in the middle of the night because he forgets about his mini-protest!

Good luck and start saving milk ASAP!!! Trying pumping everyday after your first morning feed. After a week or so of doing this your body will start producing extra milk at that time for you. Thats how I built up my supply. Doing it at the same time everyday helps.

Thank you very much for your advice :)
I would love to pump first thing in the morning but I am so empty because he eats pretty much the entire night. He wakes up around 6-8x per night.
He had terrible reflux for a long time so he got in the routine of eating all the time to make himself feel better. I am trying everything to have enough saved I dont know what else i can do :/

May I please be assigned a breast feeding champion.
About me: Young mom, unable to get proper latch, trying to pump exclusively, supplementing with formula, doing it 90% alone. I could use some support with pumping exclusively! Thank you

About me: Young mom, unable to get proper latch, trying to pump exclusively, supplementing with formula, doing it 90% alone. I could use some support with pumping exclusively! Thank you

Hi Kat, I do not have much experience with exclusively pumping so i probably am not the best match, but I wanted to say great job getting to 2 months so far!!! :thumbup:

Hi Kat, I do not have much experience with exclusively pumping so i probably am not the best match, but I wanted to say great job getting to 2 months so far!!! :thumbup:

I second Jokerette's congrats and suggest you contacted Nervous (very first post of the thread) via pm. xx

I exclusively pumped for a premmie before going to ebf - ill help anyway I can :)

I'm looking for some advice.
LO is 12 weeks old. He has been almost EBF since birth - he's been getting one bottle of formula a day in the evening (not his bed time feed) for about a month and a half. Everything was going really well, I never had an latching issues, or soreness/cracking, etc.
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that every once in a while (about one feed every couple of days), he started getting a little squirmish during the feed and let go, but I was able to get him to re-latch within a minute or so. Then this past week I went out to a concert one night, so he was bottle-fed from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. (expressed milk plus his usual bottle of formula). Since then, he has been more and more squirmish, until yesterday it was at every feed except the morning and bedtime. And instead of eating well every few hours, he would eat a bit, but every hour or so. Then today he was quite squirmish during his morning feed (he STTN 10-9). He took a nap this morning and then the battle started. For an hour and a half, I tried to get him to feed, and he literally refused the breast. He would start crying as soon as I tried to get him to latch. I finally had to give him a bottle of expressed milk, which he happily took. He breastfed later, but it was like very small feeds every half hour for 2 hours. His bedtime feed went well as usual.
So now there's all sorts of questions running through my mind...
1. The only other time he refused to latch was after his vaccinations, where he also got medication for thrush that had a stomach ache listed as a possible side effect. He seemed in pain that time, the only position that suited him was straight up. He wouldn't even take a bottle very well that time though. He just seemed very gassy because he kept burping all evening. So could he have been in pain today? But he gladly took a bottle and didn't seem very gassy...
2. Thrush....he's been on antibiotics for 2 weeks. It was a very, very mild case to begin with, he wasn't in pain and neither was I. Technically it should have gone by now, but I still notice some left, so I keep giving him the antibiotics. Is it possible this is bothering him when nursing but wouldn't with a bottle?
3. I started thinking that my let-down is too slow, and that when he's squirmish he's just getting impatient that the milk isn't coming fast enough. But how would I know? How could I get it to speed up?
4. For the last couple of weeks, I've been getting up early in the morning and pumping to build some expressed milk supply. I used to try pumping when he'd get his bottle of formula in the evening, but I would get very little out. The only time I get a decent amount out is in the morning or say after the concert when I was gone several hours. Could this be somehow affecting him (he doens't have enough left over)? Mind you, it wasn't until this morning that he was squirmish for his first feed, and I've been pumping before the feed for 2 weeks.
5. How could I get more out while pumping if I pumped in the day time and when is the best time to pump?
I really really don't want to stop breast feeding, but I'm worried these are signs that this is the beginning of the end :cry:
Please help, I cried my eyes out today when he was refusing to feed, it broke my heart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->