Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I am feeling so defeated, LO need supplementing and now she wont latch, not even with a nipple shield. I am able to pump at least 3 to 4 feeds a day of breast milk. She is definitely preferring the bottle now, makes me so mad. Its took so much to finally get her, I am had a decent pregnancy but I did have GD. My labour and her birth was filled with issues, this is all I really wanted. I am taking herbal remedies. but I see the dream slip away. I want someone to tell me its okay either way, as long as she is healthy and happy.

I am feeling so defeated, LO need supplementing and now she wont latch, not even with a nipple shield. I am able to pump at least 3 to 4 feeds a day of breast milk. She is definitely preferring the bottle now, makes me so mad. Its took so much to finally get her, I am had a decent pregnancy but I did have GD. My labour and her birth was filled with issues, this is all I really wanted. I am taking herbal remedies. but I see the dream slip away. I want someone to tell me its okay either way, as long as she is healthy and happy.

:hugs:

Can you contact a lactation consultant? They may be able to work on the latching issues with you and your LO.

Keep offering the breast before every bottle, even if she seems like she won't take it.

You're a fab mother and pumping is hard work, it's amazing that you're keeping up with it to give your baby breastmilk. Whatever happens, you did your best and you should be proud of yourself! But I would definitely try to get in touch with a LC.

Good luck hun, wish there was something more I could say to help.

Hi I'm Helen :wave: and I'm breast feeding my first born, 4 day old son Micah.

I would love to have a breast feeding champion. I thought Micah was doing quite well until I was told yesterday that he's lost just over 10% of his body weight since birth and needs to be weighed again after 24 hrs.

I've been advised to feed him a minimum of every 3 hrs even if I have to wake him. As he won't settle till he's fallen into a really deep sleep on me and then cries when I put him in his Moses basket, it can easily be 2 hrs after a feed before I can close my eyes, which seems pointless when I'm waking him again after half an hour to allow us time to latch!

He latches well on my right boob but we're finding the left one significantly more difficult. He seems frustrated and desperate as soon as he sees it and sucks frantically with a small mouth rather than opening wide and relaxed.

My right nipple doesn't hurt when feeding but my left one pinches.

Theoretically I know how to get him to latch well as I'm doing it on my right!

I hope someone can offer some advice xx thank you xx

Hi, I'm Lisa and I've been breast feeding my 2 week old since he was born. He is feeding really well and gaining weight brilliantly and therefore I know he is doing brilliant and that I need to carry on but the last few days I'm really struggling. The pain on my left nipple is excruciating - it is not cracked or anything, it just hurts so much and like Helen above he is sucking with a very small mouth. He latches on brilliantly on my right boob and whilst the initial few sucks hurt, it's much easier than the left. He struggles a lot when he can't get latched on, pushes my boobs away, wriggles away from it even though he is crying for it. It's starting to make me cry when he cries as its like a bitter struggle. I keep thinking damn it I'm just going to give him formula but I really don't want that. I do have a pump and have just bought some storage bags and keep thinking about expressing but I don't really know where to start with that if I do begin and would want to try and do both. Would really love a BF champion to try and help get me through this really hard time.

Hi I'm Helen :wave: and I'm breast feeding my first born, 4 day old son Micah.

I would love to have a breast feeding champion. I thought Micah was doing quite well until I was told yesterday that he's lost just over 10% of his body weight since birth and needs to be weighed again after 24 hrs.

I've been advised to feed him a minimum of every 3 hrs even if I have to wake him. As he won't settle till he's fallen into a really deep sleep on me and then cries when I put him in his Moses basket, it can easily be 2 hrs after a feed before I can close my eyes, which seems pointless when I'm waking him again after half an hour to allow us time to latch!

He latches well on my right boob but we're finding the left one significantly more difficult. He seems frustrated and desperate as soon as he sees it and sucks frantically with a small mouth rather than opening wide and relaxed.

My right nipple doesn't hurt when feeding but my left one pinches.

Theoretically I know how to get him to latch well as I'm doing it on my right!

I hope someone can offer some advice xx thank you xx

Exactly the same happened to my son, even got us admitted to hospital, but it basically came down to my milk hadn't properly come in, by day 6 there was a loy more milk, after feeding him try expressing a little too (to stimulate your supply) and can your OH do the resettling after a feed so you can get some rest?
re. his latch rugby hold might be worth a try, bit easier to latch, you'll find as his mouth gets bigger its easier. alsoo if he's 'fish lipped' you can try and gently pop them out to give a better olatch xx

Hi, I'm Lisa and I've been breast feeding my 2 week old since he was born. He is feeding really well and gaining weight brilliantly and therefore I know he is doing brilliant and that I need to carry on but the last few days I'm really struggling. The pain on my left nipple is excruciating - it is not cracked or anything, it just hurts so much and like Helen above he is sucking with a very small mouth. He latches on brilliantly on my right boob and whilst the initial few sucks hurt, it's much easier than the left. He struggles a lot when he can't get latched on, pushes my boobs away, wriggles away from it even though he is crying for it. It's starting to make me cry when he cries as its like a bitter struggle. I keep thinking damn it I'm just going to give him formula but I really don't want that. I do have a pump and have just bought some storage bags and keep thinking about expressing but I don't really know where to start with that if I do begin and would want to try and do both. Would really love a BF champion to try and help get me through this really hard time.

:hugs: the initial pain is normal at this stage, that'll pass. are you putting lansinoh on your nipples before and after each feed? even if they're not cracked they may well be getting sore and dry. How often are you feeding him?? just wondering if u need to try before he's starving? of whether there's some trapped wind which might be causing him to fuss. Keep going hun, it's all worth it in the end xx

Hey, thanks for the reply! I don't have lasinoh but do use a nipple dream. Maybe I should get some! During the day he generally feeds every 2 or so hours, sometimes it's only an hour and a half!
He does have wind, he is forever farting and straining! He also keeps choking on the milk, heaving a bit and spitting up, worried he's got a touch of reflux.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I don't have lasinoh but do use a nipple dream. Maybe I should get some! During the day he generally feeds every 2 or so hours, sometimes it's only an hour and a half!
He does have wind, he is forever farting and straining! He also keeps choking on the milk, heaving a bit and spitting up, worried he's got a touch of reflux.

No probs :), def get lansinoh it really is the best imo! i also ended up using infacol which i think worked to some extend. Fx'ed he's not getting reflux! xx

He just had an amazing feed on my sore boob! It didn't hurt at all :) makes me feel better that it can be pain free!!!

Yay what a star! Micah's just fed for the best part of an hour lying side by side next to me in bed and is now sleeping like an angel! I coaxed out his bottom lip with my finger as you suggested caro103 and it was a pain free feed!! Thank you so much :) Such a lovely bonding experience when things are going well! :)

Hey guys, I posted in the general BF section but I'm kinda in a hurry and thought it best to post here as well. Here's my post:

I think I've done something stupid but need to confirm.

I took three bags of BM out of the freezer to give my LO with this evening's cereal, and left them on the kitchen bench. And then about three hours later, when they were fully liquidified, I put them in the fridge.

Doing a bit of research now and it looks like this is a no-no. Shall I express fresh milk for her then, and discard the old one?

Help?

in the book the womanly art of breastfeeding there is a section on this and they say that breastmilk is very durable and that its even ok to refreeze defrosted breastmilk. This book is from le leche league so i trust it but its up to you. x x

in the book the womanly art of breastfeeding there is a section on this and they say that breastmilk is very durable and that its even ok to refreeze defrosted breastmilk. This book is from le leche league so i trust it but its up to you. x x

Thanks very much, that's reassuring enough for me.:thumbup:

Hey all.

LO was born at 32+5 and is now 36+2. I have been trying to BF for 2+ weeks now and, although she latches and sucks, she doesn't seem to actually get anything in. The scales show a max gain of 4g after a 30 min feed.

So issues with my let down. Touch me and I'm ready to go. She had her first bottle last night and finished it in 12 minutes so the suck swallow breath thing isn't an issue.

Just want to know how long it took other preemie moms to get going properly. The birth was horrible (c section under general) I was sick during the pregnancy and had her early. I don't want to give up on this but am feeling to disheartened!

I just need some encouragement today :cry: LO seems to be having a growth spurt and has been feeding every hour almost around the clock. (We have never had issues with transfer.) This is hard!!! We are getting through it, but I am so tired that I'm finding it hard to stay emotionally connected with baby and DH, and I hate that. I would just love to hear that we are doing ok and that this won't last forever!

You are doing amazing - keep going!!!

My LO is every 2 hours but has done 1.5 before and my boobs really felt it. I sometimes feel like a cow but know its worth it! I hate the fact that I'm completely reliant on and that OH can't do it...especially when it's the middle of the night, I have to feed and he rolls over and goes back to sleep!! Just think though, if it wasn't for our boobies!! Us mums are amazing!!!

It won't last forever :) bubby is just building up your supply and the feeds will slow off again soon. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, eating well and resting. You are doing a fantastic job <3

my lo keeps throwing up almost every feed. Putting on weight like a champ. gets hiccups and is hard to burp. We are currently trying only one Breast at a time till he finishes and sitting him up for 30 mins after each feed. Does that sound like it will help? Plus I'm having a hard time with finding a more up right position for him to feed on me. i'l sit him on my lap facing my breast but I need it so my posture doesn't go bad, as I have back issues. Please any advice is welcome :) could he have reflux? I love him with all my heart and don't want to ever have to give up breast feeding. plus do I keep demand feeding him? and when is it safe to let him sleep longer then 4 hours? he generally wakes earlier but sometimes sleeps thru. thanks reading this thru .lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->