Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Popples is he still having numerous wet and dirty diapers? Has he gained any weight?

Popples is he still having numerous wet and dirty diapers? Has he gained any weight?

Yeah, loads of wet/dirty nappies and he gained 80g at his last weigh in (increase over 48 hrs). I'm topping him up with EBM though so no idea how much he's getting from the breast.

Yeah, loads of wet/dirty nappies and he gained 80g at his last weigh in (increase over 48 hrs). I'm topping him up with EBM though so no idea how much he's getting from the breast.

Do what works for you. I have known a few people to only give ebm cause they just wouldn't take the breast for all different reasons. Your doing good momma

Do what works for you. I have known a few people to only give ebm cause they just wouldn't take the breast for all different reasons. Your doing good momma

Thanks. Xx

I think I need to put my game face on either way, DH just came for a cuddle and shed a tear because he's so worried about me. Bless him.

Hi - can anyone reassure or advise me please?

My little boy is 15 days old & has had lots of issues with bf, he was tongue tied and because of this he couldnt get my milk of well enough and I ended up with mastitis when he was 5 days old. This affected my supply & it has therefore always been low. Joshua still isn't at his birth weight and I'm worrying he's hungry. He feeds all the time he is awake, which is so tiring. I understand he is trying to get my supply up but it doesn't seem to be increasing :( he had his tongue done at 5 days old and feeding was immediately better. Can anyone reassure me, or does anyone have any similar experience with birth weight? xxxx

Your little boy's weight shouldn't be much of a worry at the moment as long as everything else seems fine. My dd lost weight for 14 days after birth and didn't regain her birth weight until she was 4 weeks so he's doing better than her already! How is his nappy output? Lots of wet nappies and around one to two dirty nappies in one day is a good indicator he is getting enough. What is it that makes you think your supply isn't increasing?

The midwives have worried me i guess. They said his weight gain is very sluggish and put it down to me possibly not having a well established supply because of the initial problems we had. They have prescribed me domperidone too, to try and increase my supply. One mw also suggested I top him up with 10-20ml of formula from a syringe if I feel he needs it. I haven't done that, I'm waiting to see if his weight is going in the right direction when he is weighed on Tuesday. I'm so anxious about it all :( xx

He has lots of wet nappies but usually only one dirty one a day, which hasn't turned yellow yet. The mw said his poo should definately be yellow now, and he should be having three dirty ones a day :( xxx

Generally it's said two a day is average so I don't know where your midwife got three a day from. DD never went more than once a day for quite awhile and it never turned a bright yellow either, it stayed an orange colour most of the time. Neither of these things were a worry to the hp's I saw. I think it's worth baring in mind that there are variations of normal.

How do you feel when you look at your baby forgetting what anyone else has said? Do you think he's heading in the right direction or do you think there might still be things that need looking at?

Hi just looking for some advise / information . My LO is 3 weeks old and is exclusively BF . Over the past couple of days he has been a lot more windy and spitting up a lot more than before . Is this usual ? Could it be something I've done differently ? I can't think of anything significant I've had orange juice and oranges as I've low iron and on tablets and told. To increase vitiam c to help with absorbsion . Ah ideas , thanks ?

Mine does this and it seems directly associated with what I ate. Like garlic, or strong spiced foods, or even wheat, then about 26 hrs later I have a fussy baby with loads of gas. But that is me and my baby. I also notice more spitting up if he pigs out then he will have more spit ups. The other day it was projectile. :sick:

Hello everyone, looking for some advice and reassurance . I think I'm over thinking BF at the min . My LO is almost 5 weeks and exclusively BF . I have given a bottle of expressed milk once a day for about 10 days now . Firstly as ill have to leave LO for a short period once a day soon and also as OH really wanted to be involved in feeding .

Anyway I'm not sure if its guilt for introducing a bottle but now I'm convienced LO has nipple confusion :( I don't think he is making as much effort sucking when BF and gets frustrated every now and again when feeding .

I'm also concerned that he is not getting enough to eat that last two days I've noticed less soiled nappies and today we only have had one so far . I got him weighed yesterday and he is now 10lb birth weight 8lb so he has put on 2 lb in four weeks . I so don't want to give up BF but I'm loosing confidence in myself and it :( also I get concerned when I try express ( I have electric medlela pump and don't produce a lot . Most times 1-3 oz a day ! I'm confused as to when the best time to express is so as to ensure there is still sufficient supply for LO as he is kinda feeding on demand at the moment .

As you can see I think I'm panicking a bit as I so do not want to give up I love it but need to be sure LO is happy and getting what he needs .

Thanks for reading and any thoughts are welcome :)

Nipple confusion is a good reason to be concerned. I would be too, so I don't think you are wrong to second guess it all. If I were you I would stop the bottle for a bit, and reattaching him every time you think he is not latched properly. Technically you have a few more weeks until he will have a really good sense of what he is doing. So be patient with yourself and him, as you too are still trying to learn together, this dance called BF!! You will figure it out I am sure!! :hugs:

At around 4 weeks babies start pooing less, it can be worrying but it is normal. We went 10 days without a poo once! They're digesting so much of the goodness that there isn't much left to come out. As long as there are still plenty of wet nappies it shouldn't be a problem.

Pumping isn't a very reliable way to judge how much you are producing, don't forget that a lot of your milk is going into your baby and you're expressing out more milk on top of that. A mum who is exclusively expressing could expect to see a lot more. Some women just can't express very much no matter what they do but babies are far more effective at getting the milk out, a lot of it is about comfort and atmosphere and having a baby nursing at the breast is generally a lot nicer than a pump!

It can be normal for a baby to start fussing at feeds, especially if they are going through a growth spurt. If you are worried about nipple confusion could you speak to you OH about cutting out the bottle for a little while to see how it goes? If you really don't want to give up that feed you could try cup feeding instead, it can be a bit more tricky but feeding a baby this way is closer to the action of breastfeeding than bottles.

Try not to get hung up on weight, he is gaining and that is fantastic. Some babies gain faster or slower than others and often there is nothing you can do to change that.

It sounds like you are doing a great job mama :thumbup: keep up the good work.

Hi Ladies/BF Champions....two questions....

I have been exclusively BF'ing my 8 month old DS since he was born. In the last month of so, I have been packing him an extra 4 oz bottle of formula while I am at work since my MIL insists he needs more milk. All I have been able to pump is three 6 oz bottles of breastmilk per day for him to have while I work 9 hrs.

I have kept the same schedule for the past 6.5 months while working full time:

7am - Breastfeed
***Go to work***
12 pm - Pump for 20 minutes
3:30 p.m. - Pump for 20minutes
***end of workday***
7pm - Breastfeed to sleep
2:30a.m. - Pump for 20 minutes

Over the past couple months, my milk supply has been slowly decreasing. I'm not sure why. It seemed to be about the same time I got AF back, I've heard that can affect supply somewhat. I have tried to think of a time I can fit in another feed or pump, but the day is so busy I can't figure out a good time. If I do it when I get home at 5:30, I', afraid there wont be anything in there for his last feed of the night. Any ideas how I can try to increase my supply with this schedule?

Also...I forgot a part to my breast pump today and now cannot pump at work at all today...it will be like 10 hours without pumping or feeding...is this going to totally ruin the small supply I have left?! I'm stressing over this big time!!!!

Help!! I really want to continue BF'ing until 1 year :flower:

Hi Ladies/BF Champions....two questions....

I have been exclusively BF'ing my 8 month old DS since he was born. In the last month of so, I have been packing him an extra 4 oz bottle of formula while I am at work since my MIL insists he needs more milk. All I have been able to pump is three 6 oz bottles of breastmilk per day for him to have while I work 9 hrs.

I have kept the same schedule for the past 6.5 months while working full time:

7am - Breastfeed
***Go to work***
12 pm - Pump for 20 minutes
3:30 p.m. - Pump for 20minutes
***end of workday***
7pm - Breastfeed to sleep
2:30a.m. - Pump for 20 minutes

Over the past couple months, my milk supply has been slowly decreasing. I'm not sure why. It seemed to be about the same time I got AF back, I've heard that can affect supply somewhat. I have tried to think of a time I can fit in another feed or pump, but the day is so busy I can't figure out a good time. If I do it when I get home at 5:30, I', afraid there wont be anything in there for his last feed of the night. Any ideas how I can try to increase my supply with this schedule?

Also...I forgot a part to my breast pump today and now cannot pump at work at all today...it will be like 10 hours without pumping or feeding...is this going to totally ruin the small supply I have left?! I'm stressing over this big time!!!!

Help!! I really want to continue BF'ing until 1 year :flower:

Have you considered ditching the pump?

I have an electric pump and have always got more milk (in faster time!) by hand expressing. I have used my pump once with my second LO and have now just gone straight back to hand expression. I found that milk flow would stop with the pump but I was still able to hand express where the pump failed.

Look up "The Marmet Technique". obviously everyone has their own method and it's up to you to figure out how to trigger let down for you but once you have it mastered I'm sure you'd never need a pump again - which means no worrying about forgotten parts. :winkwink:

If you're expressing more at each sitting this will help increase your supply if you're struggling to fit another session in. :thumbup:

You're LO is having more milk in the day than my LO was when I was working. Why does your MIL say baby needs more? My LO took to reverse cycling. She would take most of her milk in the evening when I was home. I'd recommend feeding on demand once you're home. Offer the breast as soon as you get in and then just allow a feed when baby wants. :thumbup:

Thank you Lown - some great ideas I hadn't thought of! I will look into hand expressing, although I have to admit, it is not appealing to me at all. :wacko:

MIL tends to like to STUFF the baby while I am work which is very irritating. I have tried to be firm and tell her that I think the 3 bottles is plenty sufficient but its been just non-stop every day with her telling me "You need to leave more food". It has been very frustrating. Her feeding style is way different than mine - I like to feed just until comfortable...not stuffed. She does not agree and just won't let up making me feel like the baby is uncomfortable while I am at work since I'm not leaving more food. He eats A LOT while I'm gone....3 bottles breastmilk + 1 jar fruit and 1/2 jar vegetables.

He is so used to this schedule and seems very happy and good weight that I am scared to try to change it up, as he LOVES his food.

I'm going to have another firm talk with her and see if I can get the reverse cycling going a bit.

Grateful could you tell MIL a little white lie to stop her going on and tell her y ou have checked with your health visitor/ phn and they say he has more than enough with what he. S currently getting . I kinda get the same from my mam who is 73 .She thinks BF is wrong and would much perfare me to bottle feed with formula .She is coming from the era where only poor people who could not afford formula BF ! Weird I know ! But when formula was invented first it was seen as a luxury ! She is constantly telling me baby is hungry,looks hungry ect and asking how can I tell he is getting enough . I keep her. Quite by telling her well the phn / Hv told em so lol !!!

LOL great idea! I just texted MIL and told her that I called the lactation consultants and they said he needs to stop eating so much during the daytime. :thumbup: She texted back "OK".

I don't have much confidence she will listen, but let's hope it helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->