Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi I have an 8 day old and just can't get him latched properly I follow the steps but just can't get him to open his mouth wide enough to get enough nipple in and so have some cracks and pain while feeding any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Was baby full term?

Have the midwives / health visitor not offered assistance?

Has baby been checked for tongue / lip tie?

yes full term 8lb 12oz no tongue/ lip tie and I can't get in to see a consultant til the 28th :(

Hi guys

Would appreciate some help too. Our lo was born 9 days late was induced weighing 8lbs 6. I've tried breast feeding but am really struggling with it. The birth didn't require forceps etc.

Have had some support but the midwife saw me today and asked me to stop for 24 hours as our little girl hasn't latched correctly, my nipples are red raw. I've had expressed to keep milk flow up and to reduce some of the pressure on my boobs.

Many thanks

Congratulations! How old is she?
I'm surprised your midwife asked you to stop! That's not going to help her latch.
My nipples were red and bleeding, we just had to learn how to breastfeed together.
Can you get some peer support or la leche league help?
Xx

Congratulations! How old is she?
I'm surprised your midwife asked you to stop! That's not going to help her latch.
My nipples were red and bleeding, we just had to learn how to breastfeed together.
Can you get some peer support or la leche league help?
Xx

I think she wanted me to stop for 24 hours as I was a bit of a wreck when she turned up and couldn't stop crying. Given that I'm struggling with getting her latched on and the damage it's done to my nipples,moles that I've hardly eaten or slept since I gave birth 5 days ago. She said she wanted me to sleep and eat and up my fluid intake.

I couldn't handle her coming near my breasts just winced in agony and cried. Latch is definitely wrong and the nipples are red raw, bleeding and swollen. Both breasts where really engorged, but have managed to express enough for two feeds which brought this down, going to express again at next feed and give her one of the earlier ones.

I've got a support peer to peer group from the local council / nhs support group coming tomorrow to help but any help at the moment would be awesome. Feel miserable and depressed with it all at the moment x x x

It is a tough one without being there to see, it may well be that it's a matter of positioning with the attachment, which is much easier to look at in person. If you are feeding her in a cradle position you could try bringing her bum further round into your armpit so that her head needs to lean back more to latch on, you really want to make sure that her nose is to nipple and her chin is as far away from it as possible.

It is definitely possibly to get through this if that's what you want to do, my nipples were red raw and unbelievably cracked and I too was an absolute wreck for awhile. When we finally cracked it, it was the most amazing thing. Pain free feeding!

The support groups in my area are absolutely fantastic for both the professional support and the fact that you get to talk to other mums who know exactly what you are going through. I hope you find your local group as useful :flower:

You have my full sympathy -Oh my goodness my day 5 was atrocious! I was an emotional wreck. Dh had returned to work after 1 day. I opened the door to the midwife and burst into tears.
Then my milk "came in" and ds stopped feeding as much, I felt able to correct his latch after some great advice and my nnipples were able to heal between feeds.
My breastfeeding group was invaluable, I wish I'd gonr regularly sooner.
And so was mil who took ds for a walk in the pram after I fed so I could have a nap.
I always found holding with the opposite arm to which breast we fed from didn't stop him moving his head back to get a good latch.
Also I used to lean back slightly with his tummy laying directly on mine as if I cradled him I ended up with him laying back on my arm and head turned into the boob.
I was told once, imagine you're eating one of those tube yoghurts. The easiest way would be to tip your head up and back with your body in line with your head.
Now try doing it with your head to one side, or with your chin tucked down.
Xx

Looking for some advise! :flower:

I have been BF'ing for 6+ months now. DS recently got in two bottom teeth and has bit me a couple of times. I removed him immediately and sternly told him "No. Mommy cannot nurse you when you do that." He laughed. I made him sit there until he stopped laughing and I could try again.

He is biting here and there...I don't believe it is on purpose at all. Besides removing him and ending the session when he does that...how else can I get my point across? It hurts so bad it is making me consider stopping the BFing.....any advise is appreciated as I really am not wanting to stop yet!

I've heard you can push their face into the breast so they have to let go or not breath.
At this young age I don't think they understand, I hope it's a phase that'll pass shortly. Xx

Oh, I'd love to be a champion...

I've been breastfeeding DS for 4 1/2 years.

BLW
EBF
Extended BF
NIP
BW

Also knowledgeable with Mastitis, I am an AP mama, Gentle Parenting/Discipline, I'm also an "expert" with nursing while BW, and nursing lying down/dream feeding!

I LOVE helping guide other mamas who need some advice. We are in this together :)

BLW
EBF
Extended BF
NIP
BW

Also knowledgeable with Mastitis, I am an AP mama, Gentle Parenting/Discipline, I'm also an "expert" with nursing while BW, and nursing lying down/dream feeding!

I LOVE helping guide other mamas who need some advice. We are in this together :)

You can certainly be mine when I have my next baby ♡ .

Xx

Any advice hugely appreciated.

DD is teething and over the past couple of days her gums have been pretty painful for her. She has one tooth that has cut and when she's particularly sore she'll refuse to nurse and will just chew on my nipple. It can be a real fight to try and get her to suck rather than chew. When she starts chewing I take her off, tell her no, and then put her back to the breast. I do this 3 or 4 times and if she still won't nurse then I take her off completely.

I've tried giving her bonjela just before a feed but that doesn't seem to make any difference. We're now at the point that the moment her teeth starts hurting, if we're cuddling, she'll turn and ask to go on the breast. She never does this when she's actually hungry, and if I put her on the breast when she signals like this she'll just chew.

I'm just getting so sore!! She's not keen on teethers, hates cold things in her mouth, rarely takes a dummy. She just wants mummy to chew on.

Ouch.
For the teething... You can get chamomile sachets which we have always had success with.
A lot of people swear by Amber necklaces.
Obviously at 4 months she won't understand no etc.
If she's really hungry then she will feed, could you try not nursing too much for comfort if all your getting is being chewed?
If you're concerned that she's really not getting enough milk could you express and cup feed?
Xx

We use the sachets and normally they work brilliantly, but sometimes they're just not strong enough. I don't like to give her calpol when she hasn't got a fever or anything. Haven't tried the amber necklace yet.

I know she doesn't understand no yet, it's more for me than anything.
I've been trying not to nurse for comfort but I feel so awful watching her getting so distressed and refusing to give in. I'm not helping myself, am I?! Lol. I'm trying to only give her the boob if she's giving me hunger cues, but some of these are the same as teething cues.

I may have to express a bit more. She'll take a bottle but even then if her teeth are causing her problems, she'll chew on that rather than drink it.

This is going to be more trial and error isn't it? Lol.

BLW
EBF
Extended BF
NIP
BW

Xx
I'd love to :hugs:

Any advice hugely appreciated.

DD is teething and over the past couple of days her gums have been pretty painful for her. She has one tooth that has cut and when she's particularly sore she'll refuse to nurse and will just chew on my nipple. It can be a real fight to try and get her to suck rather than chew. When she starts chewing I take her off, tell her no, and then put her back to the breast. I do this 3 or 4 times and if she still won't nurse then I take her off completely.

I've tried giving her bonjela just before a feed but that doesn't seem to make any difference. We're now at the point that the moment her teeth starts hurting, if we're cuddling, she'll turn and ask to go on the breast. She never does this when she's actually hungry, and if I put her on the breast when she signals like this she'll just chew.

I'm just getting so sore!! She's not keen on teethers, hates cold things in her mouth, rarely takes a dummy. She just wants mummy to chew on.
Maybe try a washcloth/rag for her to chew on. I'm an adult and when I had my wisdom teeth growing in that helped me! LOL :)

When DS would bite down, i'd GASP and jump and say in a sad voice, "No bite, please. Hurt mama". Each time it happened. That worked for us. Hang in there!

We use the sachets and normally they work brilliantly, but sometimes they're just not strong enough. I don't like to give her calpol when she hasn't got a fever or anything. Haven't tried the amber necklace yet.

I've been trying not to nurse for comfort but I feel so awful watching her getting so distressed and refusing to give in. I'm not helping myself, am I?! Lol. I'm trying to only give her the boob if she's giving me hunger cues, but some of these are the same as teething cues.

I may have to express a bit more. She'll take a bottle but even then if her teeth are causing her problems, she'll chew on that rather than drink it.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with nursing for comfort but if it's just to chew your nipples off then that's not nice for you.
Can you try to make sure she's latched on really well so that she can't physically bite?
Does she have a regular feeding pattern? Xx

BLW
EBF
Extended BF
NIP
BW

Xx
I'd love to :hugs:

Hopefully not too far away, I fed ds for nearly 13m and would like to continue longer next time.
X

There's absolutely nothing wrong with nursing for comfort but if it's just to chew your nipples off then that's not nice for you.
Can you try to make sure she's latched on really well so that she can't physically bite?
Does she have a regular feeding pattern? Xx

She starts off latched really well, she's always had a good latch, but then will wiggle herself so she can chew and rub my nipple over her gum to soothe it.

She hasn't really got a regular pattern, only the bedtime/nighttime/morning feeds tend to stick to set times. Throughout the day we just feed on demand with no real every 3 hours or anything like that.

I think we've also hit wonder week 19 which isn't helping matters. She's never really been a clingy baby before. X

There are sooooo many phases, can't remember how old ds was when he wouldn't feed properly and we had to go in a dark room and he'd only feed when completely exhausted.
Xx

It is a tough one without being there to see, it may well be that it's a matter of positioning with the attachment, which is much easier to look at in person. If you are feeding her in a cradle position you could try bringing her bum further round into your armpit so that her head needs to lean back more to latch on, you really want to make sure that her nose is to nipple and her chin is as far away from it as possible.

It is definitely possibly to get through this if that's what you want to do, my nipples were red raw and unbelievably cracked and I too was an absolute wreck for awhile. When we finally cracked it, it was the most amazing thing. Pain free feeding!

The support groups in my area are absolutely fantastic for both the professional support and the fact that you get to talk to other mums who know exactly what you are going through. I hope you find your local group as useful :flower:

Went to the doctor today, and she's not tongue tied, and the GP checked the latch and it was fine. However, she's got oral thrush which has spread to my breasts so this is where the pains coming from.

I don't know what to do. She's using my breasts as a soother, more than anything else. Had to give her the bottle just to calm her down. At my wits end! Any suggestions would be great x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->