Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

It is a tough one without being there to see, it may well be that it's a matter of positioning with the attachment, which is much easier to look at in person. If you are feeding her in a cradle position you could try bringing her bum further round into your armpit so that her head needs to lean back more to latch on, you really want to make sure that her nose is to nipple and her chin is as far away from it as possible.

It is definitely possibly to get through this if that's what you want to do, my nipples were red raw and unbelievably cracked and I too was an absolute wreck for awhile. When we finally cracked it, it was the most amazing thing. Pain free feeding!

The support groups in my area are absolutely fantastic for both the professional support and the fact that you get to talk to other mums who know exactly what you are going through. I hope you find your local group as useful :flower:

Went to the doctor today, and she's not tongue tied, and the GP checked the latch and it was fine. However, she's got oral thrush which has spread to my breasts so this is where the pains coming from.

I don't know what to do. She's using my breasts as a soother, more than anything else. Had to give her the bottle just to calm her down. At my wits end! Any suggestions would be great x x x

We've been through 2 bouts of thrush and it's not fun I know. The first time it was a few days into us both having it before seeing the GP and being diagnosed so I was in immense pain. I tried expressing and bottle feeding but that was too painful. I used nipple shields until the cream started taking effect. That only took a day before I started feeling some relief.

I'm assuming from LO's age that you've been given canesten and LO nystatin? DD had 2 bottles of nystatin before we moved onto daktarin which finally shifted it but it's not licensed for use in infants under 4months. The cream you've got for yourself, apply liberally after every feed. Just needs wiping off before next feed.

As far as the comfort sucking goes, I found that once DD's thrush started clearing, she would feed better and wouldn't need to comfort suck as much. At this early stage, she's likely to cluster feed a fair amount anyway. It just becomes easier when you're not in constant pain. :flower:

I was given Daktarin for my lo straight away, the lc in this area doesn't recommend nystatin as it's not usually effective anymore. You don't need to wipe any cream off either your nipples either, you run the risk of making them even more sore if you do. Rub it in well after a feed and you'll be good to go for next time. If the thrush has gone ductal then you may need a course of fluconazole but your doctor or an lc can advise you on that.

You were lucky Loopy! We really had to fight to get the daktarin. Nystatin was useless. I was told I had to make sure there wasn't any canesten on my nipples before feeding. I swear they just like to give different advice everywhere!! :haha:

Hi everyone! I would like to introduce myself. I am a mom of 5 boys. I tried to bf my first and stayed in the hospital for 5 days trying to get the hang of it cause I was in excruciating toe curling pain even with the correct latch. The day I got home I went to feed him and my nipple started to separate. That was the day I couldn't continue.

Ds2 was born earlier at 37 weeks and was sent straight to NICU, where our difficulties started. Because of his blocked bowel I was only able nurse him twice before they took all food from him for 24 hrs. After that I was only able to get him to latch with a shield full of milk first. He started to get colic and received bad bf support and told me it was time to switch him to formula because I had no milk. (when at 12pm at every mom has lower amounts of milk) Once we started to formula started major problems with his digestive problems and I felt horrible for stopping being him. (today he has been diagnosed with ASD or autism spectrum disorder)

DS3 I was determined to make bf work this time. I did tons of research. I read books researched Jack Newman, and talked numerous LC. I was told by many that I knew more than most and was doing everything right when it came to positioning. I found out at this point, after a month and a half of cracked nipples and toe curling pain trying to nurse him, that I have raynauds. As I had blanching of my nipples and they turned purple right after them turning white with the toe curling pain reaching all the way to my back. When I was treated over and over again for thrush with no relief using nystatin or gentian violet. I was put on Adalate which made a big difference for me, that and keeping my breasts warm!! I also had troubles with over active let down which caused problems with green frothy poo's, so I had to switch to one sided feeding, which caused problems with cluster feeding lasting longer than they should if I just would have kept switching sides during that time.

DS4 I bf again, where again I delt with the toe curling pain and two months of cracked nipples. With raynauds it made it really hard to tell if I actually had thrush this time again or not, so tried treating them with both nystatin and more often gentian violet. Again I was put on the Adalate which helped. I still was in constant contact with LLL, LC and researched everything I could to try and get a more comfortable latch. Wasn't until my baby got bigger that things felt better. Though keeping my nipples as moist as possible with the lanolin cream and a piece of plastic wrap over them helped with keeping the ripping open and totally decreased the pain.

This time I have had even more problems. Though this time we found a great position that felt amazing. We tried the baby led laid back position. Wow just letting do it himself was amazing, very little pain. My cracks started to heal faster than I have ever seen them do in the past. I was elated. Though a day later a crack developed at the base of my nipple and everything changed. I didn't have any other sign of thrush, so figured because it was taking longer to heal because of my raynauds. Then a few days later after talking with a LLLl I noticed a rash on baby's bottom, and I swore because I knew what that meant. I then started looking at natural remedies. This time I was also diagnosed with an intra-uterine infection which I knew would just make things harder to deal with. I started adding probiotics and gentian violet and it was just starting to get better when I was told I had a piece of placenta left in my womb, so I was rushed off for a DNC. They were able to give a spinal so it wouldn't affect nursing. I went home only to be rushed back in by ambulance to the ER with a severe PPH. Where then already weak trying to get the ER to explain to my DH how to bottle feed the baby with formula, where he has never done before. The amount of blood dropped my milk down to nothing, and baby and I had to work really hard at bring back my milk. It was all the sudden like day one and two again, but worse because I was so low on my hemoglobin, so I was that much more tired. I could hardly hold him in my arms to nurse him, but I kept putting to my breast. At this time I called in the LC in the hospital and came up with a good plan to get my milk to come in faster. As I was not able to rest when I was constantly nursing him. If I wasn't sleeping it wasn't making milk effectively. The placenta pills though did help to start bringing the milk in but it was hard. Then on top of that because I was running a fever and on some major strong meds to keep that infection away my thrush was causing even more pain. We decided that we would top him up with a feeding tube while he was nursing. So that after he was already been working for at least an hour to top him up so I could sleep. We did this for two days before my milk started back up and now I am at home and I have a baby sleeping well after feeding. Even though we are still dealing with thrush I have new and better ways to deal with it. Like the coconut oil, grapefruit seed oil and probiotics I am sure we will concur it well once i am finished the next days of meds.

I am a very well read with tons of experience with when things go wrong, as with everything I have gone through I now as much as any LC. I feel i could be a very good asset to your champions team. I would love to be able to help out anyone that needs it.

Hi everyone :) I'm Regina and my LO is a week old . So far we have exclusively BF and he almost is back to his birth weight already . I've a few questions I really would like help with.

1. Should I feed on demand around the clock or try establish some routine this early ? I've been told so many different things now I'm not sure what end is up !

2. How long feeding is a " good feed " 10 mins , 20 mins or does it vary from baby to baby ?
3) my OH is driving me mad and unintentionally upsetting me , he keeps saying as baby might feed then look for food again 30-1hour later , are you sure he is getting enough ? How can you tell ? Maybe we should introduce a bottle ? I know he is just afraid as a first time dad that the baby is being left hungry but I've tried to explain as best I can to him but now he has me doubting myself . Baby sometimes just looks for " topping up " rather than a " good feed " he is grazing throughout the day rather than set meal times . But he isn't getting it . I'm looking for advise as to if its ok for baby to graze or should I be " holding " him off for a big feed ?

All replys would be more than welcome . Baby is sleeping at night for 3 + hours at a time so nights are not causing a difficulty at all . I just want to make sure my baby is getting enough . He has loads of poo and wet bums also .

Hi everyone :) I'm Regina and my LO is a week old . So far we have exclusively BF and he almost is back to his birth weight already . I've a few questions I really would like help with.

1. Should I feed on demand around the clock or try establish some routine this early ? I've been told so many different things now I'm not sure what end is up !

2. How long feeding is a " good feed " 10 mins , 20 mins or does it vary from baby to baby ?
3) my OH is driving me mad and unintentionally upsetting me , he keeps saying as baby might feed then look for food again 30-1hour later , are you sure he is getting enough ? How can you tell ? Maybe we should introduce a bottle ? I know he is just afraid as a first time dad that the baby is being left hungry but I've tried to explain as best I can to him but now he has me doubting myself . Baby sometimes just looks for " topping up " rather than a " good feed " he is grazing throughout the day rather than set meal times . But he isn't getting it . I'm looking for advise as to if its ok for baby to graze or should I be " holding " him off for a big feed ?

All replys would be more than welcome . Baby is sleeping at night for 3 + hours at a time so nights are not causing a difficulty at all . I just want to make sure my baby is getting enough . He has loads of poo and wet bums also .

Baby's who Bf should IMO never be put on a schedule. This can and will reduce your milk supply. The only one that will know how much is enough is baby. So on demand is the very very best.

As for how long just depends on your flow of milk, fast or slow, and how efficient baby is at getting the milk. So let baby guide you. You may find one day they seem like they are there all day and next they don't seem to take as long. This is baby regulating the amount of milk he/she needs.

Now how to know if baby is getting enough. Wet diapers. As long as baby is peeing all the time and having a few decent poo's that are yellowish/seedy in colour or growing, gaining weight, even if seems slow. Baby will also tell you in behaviour. Does he/she seem content and happy?? These are all good signs baby is thriving.

It is also ok for baby to have a small feed at one sitting then a longer one later in the day. This is normal too. Your milk has ebs and flows all though out the day.

These are all great questions. Keep up the good work!!:thumbup::flower:

You were lucky Loopy! We really had to fight to get the daktarin. Nystatin was useless. I was told I had to make sure there wasn't any canesten on my nipples before feeding. I swear they just like to give different advice everywhere!! :haha:

We are very lucky in this area to have a two lactation consultants who also run the BFI accredited NHS infant feeding team, these women really know their stuff. When it comes to breastfeeding I would trust what they have to say over any GP, they're the ones who try and keep the GP's up to date about their knowledge of breastfeeding anyway!

It is a tough one without being there to see, it may well be that it's a matter of positioning with the attachment, which is much easier to look at in person. If you are feeding her in a cradle position you could try bringing her bum further round into your armpit so that her head needs to lean back more to latch on, you really want to make sure that her nose is to nipple and her chin is as far away from it as possible.

It is definitely possibly to get through this if that's what you want to do, my nipples were red raw and unbelievably cracked and I too was an absolute wreck for awhile. When we finally cracked it, it was the most amazing thing. Pain free feeding!

The support groups in my area are absolutely fantastic for both the professional support and the fact that you get to talk to other mums who know exactly what you are going through. I hope you find your local group as useful :flower:

Went to the doctor today, and she's not tongue tied, and the GP checked the latch and it was fine. However, she's got oral thrush which has spread to my breasts so this is where the pains coming from.

I don't know what to do. She's using my breasts as a soother, more than anything else. Had to give her the bottle just to calm her down. At my wits end! Any suggestions would be great x x x

We've been through 2 bouts of thrush and it's not fun I know. The first time it was a few days into us both having it before seeing the GP and being diagnosed so I was in immense pain. I tried expressing and bottle feeding but that was too painful. I used nipple shields until the cream started taking effect. That only took a day before I started feeling some relief.

I'm assuming from LO's age that you've been given canesten and LO nystatin? DD had 2 bottles of nystatin before we moved onto daktarin which finally shifted it but it's not licensed for use in infants under 4months. The cream you've got for yourself, apply liberally after every feed. Just needs wiping off before next feed.

As far as the comfort sucking goes, I found that once DD's thrush started clearing, she would feed better and wouldn't need to comfort suck as much. At this early stage, she's likely to cluster feed a fair amount anyway. It just becomes easier when you're not in constant pain. :flower:

Well my GP gave me dark train straight away. But she was really bad today so went to the out of hours clinic and he told me not to use that and gave me nystatin.

I've continued breast feeding, she was on both breasts for about 40 mins, yet she was still hungry. I just couldn't cope with the pain any longer as it's definitely spread on my breasts and I've got cream too and she's still making all the signs that she's hungry so have. Ended up topping up with formula. Don't want to do that but my breasts can't cope - know she's latched in correctly and it's the thrush that's causing the pain. How long should 10 day old bf for at a single sitting? I'm determined to crack this and be on exclusive bf within the month!

Help! I'm feeling like failing at bf and would love some advice...

Leo is 6 days old. He didn't get the hang of bf for our first couple of days on hospital so I did hand expression every couple of hours and finger fed him colostrum. On the second night, despite practicing positions (I've been told my positioning is good) and having multiple midwives squeezing my boobs, shoving my nipples in his mouth and helping me keep him awake, he wasn't very interested (being mucusy didn't help). My day 3 he was looking less energetic so we were put on a feeding plan where I would express milk after each feed (so it was ready for the next one) and top him up with formula. I spent night 3 offering him the breast before the EBM and found he would latch and suckle but still kept falling asleep. I had to tickle him or blow on his face to keep him at it. By day 4 my nipples were agony and I was crying through each feed. I spent a day going back to EBM/ff and then tried some nipple shields yesterday which really helped. He did feed using these yesterday but it was for ages - almost 2 hours - and we still had to top him up with formula afterwards. Today, he's slept since his 9am feed (EBM & fed). We're having a skin to skin cuddle and I did offer him both breasts about 30 mins ago but he wasn't interested. I'm wondering if my nipples are the problem - they're kind of flat though do come out when stimulated. I've definitely had him latched several times so I know it IS possible, but why does he fall asleep a couple of sucks into the feed? It's really hard to keep him awake and feeding. I wondered if he just can't be bothered because my nipples are hard work? He fed much more consistently yesterday using the shields.

I just feel like I'm letting him down :cry: His weight didn't increase from day 3 to day 5 and we have another weigh in tomorrow. I'm really worried he won't have increased again :(

Edit: he was checked for TT in hospital and they said that although he is a little tied, it's not too bad. However the midwife yesterday suggested he was and told me to 'see how we get on'.

Help! I'm feeling like failing at bf and would love some advice...

Leo is 6 days old. He didn't get the hang of bf for our first couple of days on hospital so I did hand expression every couple of hours and finger fed him colostrum. On the second night, despite practicing positions (I've been told my positioning is good) and having multiple midwives squeezing my boobs, shoving my nipples in his mouth and helping me keep him awake, he wasn't very interested (being mucusy didn't help). My day 3 he was looking less energetic so we were put on a feeding plan where I would express milk after each feed (so it was ready for the next one) and top him up with formula. I spent night 3 offering him the breast before the EBM and found he would latch and suckle but still kept falling asleep. I had to tickle him or blow on his face to keep him at it. By day 4 my nipples were agony and I was crying through each feed. I spent a day going back to EBM/ff and then tried some nipple shields yesterday which really helped. He did feed using these yesterday but it was for ages - almost 2 hours - and we still had to top him up with formula afterwards. Today, he's slept since his 9am feed (EBM & fed). We're having a skin to skin cuddle and I did offer him both breasts about 30 mins ago but he wasn't interested. I'm wondering if my nipples are the problem - they're kind of flat though do come out when stimulated. I've definitely had him latched several times so I know it IS possible, but why does he fall asleep a couple of sucks into the feed? It's really hard to keep him awake and feeding. I wondered if he just can't be bothered because my nipples are hard work? He fed much more consistently yesterday using the shields.

I just feel like I'm letting him down :cry: His weight didn't increase from day 3 to day 5 and we have another weigh in tomorrow. I'm really worried he won't have increased again :(

Edit: he was checked for TT in hospital and they said that although he is a little tied, it's not too bad. However the midwife yesterday suggested he was and told me to 'see how we get on'.

Ok, we've just had a textbook feed using nipple shields - 20 mins on right breast, a very stinky nappy change, then 25 mins on left breast. He's now dozing and occasionally latching then dropping off again. Why is it I'm not 'allowed' to use these long term? They're magic!

Popples - I am sorry that you are having such difficulties. How was your delivery? What kind of drugs did you use? Is he possibly jaundice? It very well could be the TT!! My SIL had trouble much of what you are describing, the falling asleep taking 2 hrs to nurse because of it, and she also had tons of meds during labor. If I were you I would maybe see if you can still get that fixed. It will feel way different if and when he can take more into his mouth. Now I hear you about the shields. I used them with my #2nd and for him was amazing, but the problem is that you will have to pump just to help increase your supply. It is virtually impossible to do so just with the shields themselves, as they don't take in the proper amount of the breast to do so. So if they work for you and want to continue with them cause that is the only way he takes them, then make sure you are pumping too. I hope this helps a bit. I am proud of you for sticking it out this long. It is never easy when pain is involved.

Popples - I am sorry that you are having such difficulties. How was your delivery? What kind of drugs did you use? Is he possibly jaundice? It very well could be the TT!! My SIL had trouble much of what you are describing, the falling asleep taking 2 hrs to nurse because of it, and she also had tons of meds during labor. If I were you I would maybe see if you can still get that fixed. It will feel way different if and when he can take more into his mouth. Now I hear you about the shields. I used them with my #2nd and for him was amazing, but the problem is that you will have to pump just to help increase your supply. It is virtually impossible to do so just with the shields themselves, as they don't take in the proper amount of the breast to do so. So if they work for you and want to continue with them cause that is the only way he takes them, then make sure you are pumping too. I hope this helps a bit. I am proud of you for sticking it out this long. It is never easy when pain is involved.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I had a natural water birth delivery, no drugs except gas and air whilst pushing. He was slightly jaundice but it seems to have gone now. I am pumping a bit but will make a concerted effort to do it more often to increase the supply. I'm seeing the midwife tomorrow so will mention the TT again. I really don't understand why they don't just snip it in hospital, given that they make such a fuss about breastfeeding they should give you all the tools to do it successfully.

Just had a crying fit because DH said I was grumpy. He's currently topping Leo up with some EBM. It just feels like I'm wasting my time when I spend hours bf then have to give him a bottle anyway.

So... He's still a little yellow and we've been put on a 3 hourly feeding plan - bf, EBM & ff as needed. I'm pumping after every feed to try and increase my supply. What happened to this being the most natural thing in the world? :cry:

Awh poppies its not easy is it ?? But stick with it and don't get disheartened . You are doing the best for your LO right now and that's what's important :) xxxxx

I know many moms that either have a slow start or end up exclusively pump, or switch over to FFing all together. What ever you choose is the right decision ok? But we are here for you if you have any more questions.

I do want to point you toward Jack Newman, you can find him on the internet with tons and tons of info there, on FB too, and if you email him he will email you back with specific information on how to solve your problems.

https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca

Well my supply has definitely increased. I officially have drippy nipples! The main problem now is that he'll latch on, suck for a couple of times then stop and sleep. It's incredibly frustrating for both of us.

Well my supply has definitely increased. I officially have drippy nipples! The main problem now is that he'll latch on, suck for a couple of times then stop and sleep. It's incredibly frustrating for both of us.

When do you put him to the breast? After he has cried a bit or while still half asleep or when quietly awake?

Great question allfor . I was initial poping him on the second he woke up, was advised to leave him till he is good and hungry , sucking his hands ! Also to undress his bottom half to keep him cool so he doesn't just fall asleep after 2 mins . It worked :) got him weighed and since coming home he has put on 1lb 6oz Im delighted :)

I do have a question though in the next week or so I want to introduce one bottle a day with expressed milk . When is the best time to express and how do I go about it ? I still want to have enough of a supply to feed on demand so don't want to express and then leave my boob empty :( not sure if it works that way lol ........ Can anyone advise ?? Would,love to express enough for one feed and one additional for freezing . Is this possible every day ? Tis all new to me ? And what if you can only express a oz or two at a time does this mean that this is all that's in your boob ? And all that is available to baby. ?

Great question allfor . I was initial poping him on the second he woke up, was advised to leave him till he is good and hungry , sucking his hands ! Also to undress his bottom half to keep him cool so he doesn't just fall asleep after 2 mins . It worked :) got him weighed and since coming home he has put on 1lb 6oz Im delighted :)

I do have a question though in the next week or so I want to introduce one bottle a day with expressed milk . When is the best time to express and how do I go about it ? I still want to have enough of a supply to feed on demand so don't want to express and then leave my boob empty :( not sure if it works that way lol ........ Can anyone advise ?? Would,love to express enough for one feed and one additional for freezing . Is this possible every day ? Tis all new to me ? And what if you can only express a oz or two at a time does this mean that this is all that's in your boob ? And all that is available to baby. ?

How old is baby now? I would wait until baby is 2-3 months before introducing the bottle, preferably 3 mths, to give baby a chance to really get the hang of the breast, before potentially confusing baby with something else, i.e. the bottle.

As for when to pump/express, do it after a feeding for no more 5-10 min to start and then as your supply increases you can then express longer.

When do you put him to the breast? After he has cried a bit or while still half asleep or when quietly awake?

It varies because I've been told to feed him every 3 hours. Sometimes he's hungry and rooting around, other times I have to wake him up and change his happy or something to rouse him a bit. Even when he's hungry he tends to fall asleep very quickly, just a few sucks in. I can see milk on his face when he pulls away so I'm not too worried about supply, just that he can't seem to get going. Having said that, there gave also been occasions where he's done a good 15 mins sucking but they are exceptions rather than the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->