Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hiya. I'm desperate for some advice. I've been bf for nearly 6wks solely bf ! It's been nearly a week that vie been suffering from realllllly sore/tend breasts. As if they r bruised and I am constantly feeling sharp pains in them. ESP wen my lil one begins to feed. This may be the let down reflex but it's only stArted to happen a wk ago since breasts started to become Tender.

I've got no redness, inflammation, white dots, cracked nipples. It's just the whole breast.

On top of this, I had postnatal bleeding for approximate 30days. It started to become browny colour and whitish discharge( sorry for too much detail), then since then (without a break) i started bleeding heavily again with clots. It's day 40 now since birth.

I've spoken to two health visitors, breastfeeding support group& midwife. They all said it can't be mastitis or thrush as I don't have those symptoms ( although I do get a temperature now and then, this might be due to tiredness) and my latching is fine And got a good bra on.

The bleeding - some said it doesn't sound normal 2 b like that & hvisitor said it's a period. Which might explain the soreness of breasts but not the sharp pains.

I have to see gp but have got earliest appo next wk. I'm. Agony...I've read bf is not supposed to hurt. Any one suffered something similar or advice. It's a nightmare !

Sounds like thrush to me, hon. I had a chase of thrush when I was BFing and pg... but had no signs except the pain. I had a doc check and he said it wasn't thrush because I didn't have signs. Hah. It eventually went away on its own, but took 5-6 weeks. Lots of yogurt and probiotics (acidopholus) helped in the end.

As for the bleeding, that is normal. My lochia only just now cleared up from my second LO... took about 7 weeks. I had it for 5 weeks with my first. It is also normal for it to start to clear up and then come back. That usually coincides with increased BFing and a growth spurt.

Ladies - posted on the main board, too - just a bit confused!

I've noticed in the last few days that Lizzie's BFing has changed. She's still latching on, but seems to comfort suck - and not 'gulp' hungrily, in her usual manner. I know I've still got milk coming out - I've squeezed and seen it (although, it always seems to be needing quite a squeeze?)

I'm wondering if she's even swallowing any, as I can't hear her swallow?!

She seems to be teething again, and she's a bit grumpy...but not sure what this new nursing thing is? Do you think she's drinking, and I'm overthinking? Or is this her way of weaning bit by bit? She still hungrily latches on - and I'm thinking, surely she'd be furious if none came out?! Unless she just likes the reassurance of the boob?

Otter does the same thing. Sometimes he chooses to drink and sometimes he chooses to just comfort suck. I think it is a way of self weaning. If she isn't getting upset or frustrated, I would just go with it. :thumbup:

Thanks - am so not ready to stop! Not for her, and not for me...so as long as she is happy, that's great! Works wonders for my PCOS, too :D

Thank you :hugs: Your new arrival is just gorgeous, and huge congrats on tandem feeding both your beauties :hugs:

Hi my LO is only 5 days old and i have been breastfeeding,initialy i had to hold him in a rugby position under my arm but since yesterday i have managed to feed tummy to tummy.
before he was feeding for 25-30min but last night his feeds were lasting50min to 1hr every 2.5 hrs. i think that my milk supply is now in.
i mentioned the times to the midwife today and she said i need to try and condense the time of the feed and not let him fall asleep mid feeding-i did say that i woke him up and he only slept for seconds.
his weight when born was 7lb 14oz but today was 7lb 4oz (up from weight pre discharge)
im just looking for a wee bit of advice thanks

Hi Ladies,
Well my problem is this.. i've been ebf my 3 month old, and recently he has started to do this really annoying thing of popping on and off constantly , every few seconds sometimes, it's driving me insane, as i have to re-latch him on everytime, as i have such big boobs iykwim!

I've tried feeding in a quiet room etc... and sometimes with persistance he'll feed properly,( mainly because he's falling asleep though!) is this normal? i'm wondering if there's a prob with my supply, as he's dropped 2 centiles, and is only putting on about 3oz a week it seems, which is really worrying me, though the HV didn't seem worried?

Sorry for the rambling, just feeling a bit like a failure is all!:dohh:

Hi my LO is only 5 days old and i have been breastfeeding,initialy i had to hold him in a rugby position under my arm but since yesterday i have managed to feed tummy to tummy.
before he was feeding for 25-30min but last night his feeds were lasting50min to 1hr every 2.5 hrs. i think that my milk supply is now in.
i mentioned the times to the midwife today and she said i need to try and condense the time of the feed and not let him fall asleep mid feeding-i did say that i woke him up and he only slept for seconds.
his weight when born was 7lb 14oz but today was 7lb 4oz (up from weight pre discharge)
im just looking for a wee bit of advice thanks

1 hr seems a little long, but not unusual. In early days my LOs would feed for 20-45 minutes at a stretch sometimes. Can you tell the difference between comfort sucking and drinking yet? If so, is he comfort sucking at the end? Both my LOs will do that -- finish a feed and then comfort suck for as long as I allow them. Maybe that is what he is doing? If so, you don't need to let him comfort suck -- only let it go on as long as you'd like.

Hi Ladies,
Well my problem is this.. i've been ebf my 3 month old, and recently he has started to do this really annoying thing of popping on and off constantly , every few seconds sometimes, it's driving me insane, as i have to re-latch him on everytime, as i have such big boobs iykwim!

I've tried feeding in a quiet room etc... and sometimes with persistance he'll feed properly,( mainly because he's falling asleep though!) is this normal? i'm wondering if there's a prob with my supply, as he's dropped 2 centiles, and is only putting on about 3oz a week it seems, which is really worrying me, though the HV didn't seem worried?

Sorry for the rambling, just feeling a bit like a failure is all!:dohh:

I don't think it is all that unusual. Every baby is different. Otter was a voracious eater and would plow through feeds. DK is different and pops on and off constantly. :roll:

Have you tried putting something in his hands to keep them occupied? That is usually something needed when they are older, but it may help early for you. Or just playing with him while he feeds so he doesn't fall asleep... tickle his feet or something?

I wouldn't worry about the slow weight gain. They start to slow at that age. He'll pick up during growth spurts, but overall his growth will be slower from about this age on. :thumbup:

hi
my name is victoria i am 23 years of age and my princess is 6 day old today i have been breast feeding through out this time and is going quite well the only thing is one of my nipples is sorer then the other one but not a red sore just becuase my nipples are so sesitive i think i am a red head and my midwife said that my sin is more sesitive then most any way but just wondered if any one else has had this?
or if there is anyone with red hair who has the same problem?

Sore nipples in the early weeks is VERY common and to be expected for everyone. It happened to me both times. It will get better very soon. :thumbup:

hi
my name is victoria i am 23 years of age and my princess is 6 day old today i have been breast feeding through out this time and is going quite well the only thing is one of my nipples is sorer then the other one but not a red sore just becuase my nipples are so sesitive i think i am a red head and my midwife said that my sin is more sesitive then most any way but just wondered if any one else has had this?

Have you got any Lansinoh cream hun? Keep slapping it on all the time, it will help x x

It's been 6 weeks since I started bf and it's been tough. I was hoping things would start getting better around now but it doesn't seem like they are. Since day 1 DD has always been constantly hungry. Everytime she comes of the breast, within 5 minutes she's rooting for more and never seems satisfied.

I am quite large up top so I think that's the root of my problems because I think DD is only ever taking in the nipple which means she's not transferring the milk efficiently. I'm so sore from the 2 hours she was on me this morning and I have a toddler who also needs attention. If this is going to take ages to sort itself out I think I'll be switching to formula.

Is there anything I can do to make things better?

Thanks.

It's been 6 weeks since I started bf and it's been tough. I was hoping things would start getting better around now but it doesn't seem like they are. Since day 1 DD has always been constantly hungry. Everytime she comes of the breast, within 5 minutes she's rooting for more and never seems satisfied.

I am quite large up top so I think that's the root of my problems because I think DD is only ever taking in the nipple which means she's not transferring the milk efficiently. I'm so sore from the 2 hours she was on me this morning and I have a toddler who also needs attention. If this is going to take ages to sort itself out I think I'll be switching to formula.

Is there anything I can do to make things better?

Thanks.

I've just sent you a PM Hun, but i didnt see this bit about her not seeming to latch correctly. does it seem like your quite engorged still? You can try expressing a bit before, just with your hand is fine, this will make it softer and easier to latch. Are you waiting for her mouth to reach the largest point, ie as if she is going to do a 'a' sound before putting her on? Match the bottom part of her mouth first to the bottom of your areola and then kinda flip the nipple down to try and get her to take as wide a mouthful as possible? Have you got any bf support groups nearby that you can pop along to? They'll help you with positioning if your not sure xxx

Thanks for the pm pinkclaire. I'll try the latching thing and I'm going to see if there are any groups available to get some advice. I do wait until her mouth is nice and wide but she does tend to pinch it shut or she seems to readjust herself so her mouth goes small again when she's on. Fingers crossed it will start improving because I'll be waiting a long time for her mouth to get bigger :lol:

DD had a similar problem with not taking enough of the areola in her mouth. I've noticed her latch has improved loads in the last couple of weeks, so starting when she was about 8 weeks.

PC gave great advice. Also, if she is just comfort sucking, give her a pacifier to do that -- that is what I do.

I would like to talk to one of the girls that has a speciality in caesarians as well as the breast feeding. I had a c-section with my little girl 2 wks ago, and I have been having difficulty with it. omw to see the DR today about it, but could use the support as well. :thumbup:

I would like to talk to one of the girls that has a speciality in caesarians as well as the breast feeding. I had a c-section with my little girl 2 wks ago, and I have been having difficulty with it. omw to see the DR today about it, but could use the support as well. :thumbup:

Hi, hon! :wave: I had sections with both my kids and have breastfed both (am still breastfeeding both). You can either ask any questions you have here or you can PM me. :D

:hugs:

hi

I agree with what the others said hun. I had extremely sore cracked nipples after the 1st few days. i would scream in pain i just couldn't do it. i ended up expressing for a week and let them heal as well as putting on lansinoh cream, like Cocoa suggested. Also rub breastmilk on your nipples when you can that really helps too :thumbup: x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->