Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Feed on demand an your supply will adjust to whatever Harry needs. If he only needs to feed once overnight, then your supply will match that, if he needs it more, your supply will change to catch up with him.

As long as you always feed on demand (not a schedule) you shouldn't have any supply problems. True supply problems are very very rare and usually based on a hormonal problem.

If I were you, I'd drop all formula top ups immediately. FF, even top ups, will cause supply problems much more easily than feeding only once at night.

Congrats on your baby boy!!!! Boys are so amazing and wonderful. :cloud9:

Thankyou that makes me feel better harry hasnt had any formula so far today i thought he would be starvng but hes actually asleep again so he must be getting what he needs. I had a mw in hospital who told me i'd never manage to fill him she wasnt helpful didnt seem to want to take the time to show me what to do my mw when i got home is much more helpful. My nipples are so sore now though hes got a very strong suck !!x

My nipples stayed sore for about 3 weeks when I had my DS. Ouchie! But it eventually will get better and then not hurt at all. :thumbup: Use lots of lanisnoh cream, that will help some.

I am here to seek help with relactation...but still havent gotten the hang of the website.

Hi! I don't have a great deal of experience with relactation, but there are ladies here that do.

You might consider posting a relactation thread on the main Breastfeeding board:
https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/

or doing a search on that board. There have been several threads about relactation there.

Here are some threads you can look at:

https://www.babyandbump.com/search.php?searchid=5290140

Do you have room for any more breastfeeding champions? I would love to volunteer!

Hi, would this be the right place to come for exclusively pumping questions?
for personal reasons, mainly being uncomfrotable, I am not breast feeding, but I want my daughter to reap the health benefits of getting breast milk... So, I plan to exclusively pump from the beginning. I know lots of women do it for whatever reason, so I knowi t's not impossible.. but when I spoke with the lactation consultant at work it was really discouraged and she told me when the baby is born I "need" her to come in the room and help get us off to a good start to build up supply... So I guess I am looking for help on that. Advice. choosing a pump. Pumping. Storage. . Etc. as I am unable to get support for that here.

I have FF 2 other babies and am not opposed, but I dont want to again if I dont have to.

Thanks, and hopefully someone can relate and help! :)

Hi, would this be the right place to come for exclusively pumping questions?
for personal reasons, mainly being uncomfrotable, I am not breast feeding, but I want my daughter to reap the health benefits of getting breast milk... So, I plan to exclusively pump from the beginning. I know lots of women do it for whatever reason, so I knowi t's not impossible.. but when I spoke with the lactation consultant at work it was really discouraged and she told me when the baby is born I "need" her to come in the room and help get us off to a good start to build up supply... So I guess I am looking for help on that. Advice. choosing a pump. Pumping. Storage. . Etc. as I am unable to get support for that here.

I have FF 2 other babies and am not opposed, but I dont want to again if I dont have to.

Thanks, and hopefully someone can relate and help! :)

I think it is great that you want to try to get your next baby as much breastmilk as possible. :thumbup:

Yes, exclusively expressing is possible, but I won't lie. It is the absolute hardest route to go. :( It is much harder than BFing and much harder than FFing. So, make sure you know what you are up against before you make any final decisions. I would encourage you to at least be open to the idea of directly breastfeeding as much as possible.

However, if that simply isn't an option for you, then you can try pumping. There is a thread in the breastfeeding section for exclusive pumpers. Check there. But I will give you what information I can:

Supplies:You will need a really good, double electric pump. I have an Ameda Purely Yours and like it. The Medela is also very popular.

I would also recommend bottles that are for breastfed babies. BreastFlow are my favorite.

Get good storage bags or bottles. If you are going to be EEing, you probably won't have to freeze loads, but will keep most of it in the fridge and use it quickly. I would have several (6-12) bottles for collection (at least a few will come with the pump you choose and you can buy more). If you want bags for storage, my favorite are by Lanisnoh.

Get a spare parts kit for your pump. ALWAYS always always have at least one extra part for everything (valves, tubing, etc.). This will be critical if you are EEing. If something breaks or stops working, not pumping while you wait for a replacement part could be big trouble for your supply.

For sterilization, I would suggest just washing things in warm, soapy water, then boiling them in water for 2-5 minutes, and then air drying.

You will need to start pumping as soon after the birth as possible. Normally a baby would be put to breast within about 30 minutes. You should pump immediately and then feed baby the colustrum. You should pump for 20 minutes minimum every 2 hours, around the clock. Count from the start of pumping... so you will actually only have about 1-1.5 hours between pumping.

Storage:
Milk is good for about:

a few hours at room temp

5-10 days (depending on what source you read) in the refrigerator.

4 months in a freezer that is separate from a fridge

6 months in a deep freezer

NEVER re-heat breastmilk in a microwave. Place bottle or container of milk in a bath of warm water to reheat it. This may take some time if it is frozen or very cold.

Once breastmilk has been thawed or taken from the fridge and heated, it is good for 1 hour. Discard any unused portion after that.

Once baby has drunk from a bottle of breastmilk, discard whatever they do not finish within an hour.

NEVER re-freeze or re-chill breastmilk.

Keeping up supply:
This is the tricky part if you are EEing. You will need to pump (as mentioned) every 2 hours, around the clock, probably for 3 or more months. After 3 months, if things are still going well, you might be able to space that out to 3-4 hours around the clock. No sleeping through the night and skipping pumping if you want to keep baby on breastmilk only. :nope:

You will need to watch for growth spurts in the baby, usually indicated by an increased desire to feed more frequently and in larger amounts. When you see a growth spurt, you will have to pump more often and for longer in order to stimulate your breasts to increase production. Some BFed babies will want to feed every hour in a growth spurt and that might last for 3-5 days. So, you will be pumping loads.

Make sure and do LOTS of skin to skin contact with baby. This will help keep your supply up. Warm baths together is a great way to do that.

Breastfed babies usually cluster feed in the evenings. That means they will want to eat more often, gearing up for night.

Your milk changes throughout the day, so make sure to make note of what time you pumped the milk (when you store it) and try to feed what you pumped at a similar time of the day. As the day goes on, evening progresses into night, your milk changes in such a way to help baby sleep better. That is part of the reason they cluster feed in the evening, they are getting ready for sleep.

I hate to be discouraging... but you may have figured out from reading this why EEing is so hard. I've seen VERY VERY few moms manage it. That is probably why your mw was so adament that you should feed directly. The only ladies that are successful are usually SUPER committed to breastfeeding and for some reason couldn't feed directly after trying (baby wouldn't latch or some thing similar). TBH, I've never seen a lady that was open to FFing manage to EE instead. :nope: It is so hard that they usually give up and go to FF very fast. :(

Based on the time, you can see that by the time you get your supplies set up, pump, store, clean up, feed the baby, wind baby, change baby, put baby to sleep, it is time to pump again. :wacko: There is very little left over time for just snuggles, cuddles, or enjoyment. Let alone time for you to sleep.

Of those that I've seen power through it and make it work, they usually end up drying up and loosing their supply. Formula usually has to be introduced for top ups after a few months, with most drying up completely between 5 and 7 months. Pumps don't do as good a job as a baby does, so it is just the nature of EEing.

All of that is why I would encourage you to be open to at least trying to BF directly. If you try and find you simply cannot, then try to EE as much as you can for as long as you can. :hugs:

Ask away if you have more questions!

^^ Wow, lot's of information! All the sources I did find online were for EPing and made it seem like a great third option.. After reading this, I think I might try BFing in the hospital, see how it works out, and go from there. If we can't swing it, at least she will get colostrum in the beginning.... thanks again so much! I'll be back I'm sure :) haha

:yipee: I'm so glad you are open to at least trying to BF directly. :thumbup: That's great.

I obviously don't know where your discomfort stems from, but I will say most (not all, but most) women that expect to be uncomfortable with breastfeeding find they, strangely, are not. Women that are freaked out by the thought of letting a baby suck on their boobs, discover that when it comes time to actually do it, it is not as freaky or strange as they thought it would be. Many come to even love breastfeeding and the closeness it creates.

Of course, there are a few that can never get past the "weirdness" of it -- especially if the fear of it stems from some sort of earlier sexual trauma in their lives.

Try to keep in mind that your breasts are designed for feeding a baby. That is the primary and natural purpose. I truly believe that so many people have hang ups about breastfeeding because a woman's breasts have been over sexualized. They are seen as sexual objects, not biological parts of a body that serve a biological purpose. :dohh:

I, myself, have found that I have nearly forgotten that my breasts can (and do!) serve a sexual purpose. :haha: Since I have been nursing for so long, I have grown accustomed to my breasts being more of a biological utility -- something there to provide my babies with food, comfort, and nourishment. :D

I hope that you find it comfortable for you. Keep in mind that it will hurt at first and that is normal. It takes a little practice for mom and baby to get things "right" and comfortable. But once you get there, most ladies find it very special and rewarding.

If, in the end, it doesn't work for you, I would recommend trying EEing for as long as you can. If you can't EE, then combo feed. Express as much as you can, as often as you can until you dry up. Feed baby everything that you express and then use formula for whatever else baby needs. This saves you from the SUPER hard stress of EEing around the clock for months on end -- let alone caring for 3 children and trying to express so much. But it will still provide baby with at least some breastmilk and the benefits of that (like the antibodies).

You could probably manage a couple of breastmilk bottles per day for weeks or months without too much problem.

Yea, I am one of the ones with the 'weirdness' feeling... I've definitely always seen my breasts as a sexual object, and even got them made bigger because of that, so I have to get over that. But I am ready to try it!!

Fab fab fab advice from Tigerlady :thumbup:

Chantibug - you may find that the weirdness goes as soon as LO is born and latches on - it really is a beautiful thing! I've got a couple of friends who didn't like the thought of BF, but changed their minds after LO latched on in the hospital.

Good luck :flower:

Just wanted to say hi, I'm a new Breastfeeding Champion Volunteer and have been breastfeeding my little lady for nearly seven months. I suffered with 4 lots of mastitis during the first 6 weeks so am pretty clued yp on that! But can help with many other things obviously!

xx

Tiger Lady & Cocoa One, thank you! I will continue to stop in here, as I dont have a lot of support from my family on doing this. My husband thinks I 'can't' do it, and my MIL is upset that no one else will get to feed her.. Selfish. I think these 2 things I will use as my motivation to try it! hmph!

:hissy:

You need to tell them BFing is best for your baby BY FAR and if they want to encourage what is best for your baby they need to support you! Tell them not supporting you is actually quite selfish and means they care more for their own needs than the needs of the baby. That ought to shut them up and give them somehting to think about. :smug:

As for feeding baby -- others will get a chance if you want to pump and offers ebm bottles. They might just have to wait a couple of weeks until things are going well.

Besides, there are other ways to bond with a newborn. Feeding is the way mom and baby bond... but baby and dad or grandparents can bond through cuddles, rocking, baths, singing, etc.

Both my kids have bonded with their Nonnie (my mom) very well through rocking and humming. She rocks them in the chair, lays them on her chest on their bellies so they can hear her heartbeat and she hums to them. They love it! It puts them right to sleep and they stay cuddled there for ages.

:wave: snaillien!

It's me again. :blush:

I'm being driven mad by my baby at the moment! She is an absolute angel during night feeds and morning feeds...but starting in the afternoon she starts getting really fussy. She'll start pulling off, then shaking her head back and then open her mouth wide for more boob, latch on, suck and gulp a few times, then do it again. That in itself wouldn't be so bad, but it gets progressively worse during the day until we're at the point where feeds are near constant and she's getting really worked up and annoyed, and I'm at the point of screaming having spent all day shoving my boob in her mouth repeatedly.

The weird thing is she is fine if I snap, give her to my husband and tell him to take her somewhere else. She usually calms down quickly and finely goes to sleep, until she wakes up crying for food. Then, she'll feed normally for about 10 mins (the length of a normal feed) and then the whole thing will start again. I've tried giving her dummies but she won't take them, and I must admit that I'm reluctant to use them in case I get problems with her suck again.

I've been really really patient, but I just feel like my patience has run out. It took us hours to get her to sleep last night, and I'm dreading doing it again tonight. I've already been trying for an hour, and now my husband is downstairs with her calming her down. :cry:

I've just really had enough and wish she'd stop doing this before I snap and tell someone to just give her a bottle.

Preggyeggy - we went through the exact same thing - she'd get so worked up that she wouldn't feed, and OH was the only one who could calm her down. Occasionally if OH wasn't home, I'd warm some frozen BM in the microwave (couldn't wait for the hot water to melt it!) and I'd give her a bottle. Once she'd taken the bottle for a bit, she'd then latch on and feed ok.

I think they just get so tired and overwhelmed by all the new things around them that they have trouble feeding, and then they are so hungry that they start freaking out, which makes it harder for them to feed - viscous circle!

Only help I can give is to say that she'll grow out of it. In the mean time, try feeding before LO gets hungry (probably won't work most of the time, but worth a shot!) and try to make feeds as unstimulating as possible. And maybe try more quiet time in the afternoons so she's less stimulated?

Hope that helps :flower:

Hi PreggyEggy.

My LO has been thru some serious fussy times too, rest assured it is normal and you may be able to get to the bottom of it so don't give up just yet.

1st of all how old is your LO? (Sorry I have just noticed your baby is only 2 months old**)

The fussing is just in the afternoon and evening then? Is she fussing on both sides equally? And it's after she's fed for about 10 minutes every time?

Sounds obvious (and I'm sure you're already doing this) but have you tried winding her regularly during feeds? Maybe try burping her more often.

Is there anything else going on... is she teething? Does she have a blocked nose? etc?

** As your LO is only 8 weeks it could be wind.... try that first. Also think about certain foods you eat at the same time each day... do you have a coffee in the morning everyday, things like that.

PE, both my kids have done the exact same thing, but for different reasons. Otter would do that when he was in a growth spurt. It would last for a few days or so then improve. DK does this all the time right now, she does it because she is tired. Shoving the boob repeatedly in her mouth does me little good. I nearly always have to find another way to get her to sleep as that is what she really needs, but just doesn't know how to put herself to sleep yet. For me, a pacifier and rocking work, but if you are against pacifiers you may need to try something else.

:hugs:

Thanks guys, you're right! I changed tactics yesterday (sounds like a military operation doesn't it? :p) and got her to sleep as much as I possibly could, and she's a different baby today. All her feeds yesterday were great, and today she seems much happier. So it seems all she really needed was sleep, and was getting extremely tired before! I'm being much more proactive with winding now too, just in case.

I just figured she was awake and more aware for longer lately because she was ready to, but it seems she's sort of forgotten how to drop off to sleep (she used to have no trouble). She doesn't even like me putting her on my shoulder anymore, which used to be an instant ticket to a sleeping baby! I'm having to get creative, but at least she's getting the sleep she needs now.

Do you have any tips for getting a BF baby to accept a dummy? She really seems to hate them, and keeps pushing them out with her tongue. I've tried tapping them for ages, wiggling them, and even expressing a bit of milk onto it, but no joy. They're silicone ones...do they really like the rubber ones more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->