Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hoping someone will be ale to help me. My DD is 5 dys old and ive been BF but once she latches she only drinks 15 min on one side, no matter what I do she wont wake up anf doesnt wanna eat. She goes 2-4 hours in between feeds and seems content but im worried she isint getting enough. I just gave her EBM and she took 1.5oz then fell asleep. Thanx for reading.

Is she having enough wet nappies a day (6-8)? How many times in 24 hours does she eat (on average)? Does she wake up within 30-60 minutes hungry again?

It's quite likely to be fine! My LO only ever fed from one breast per feeding session, and the longest she ever fed for at one time was 23 minutes and was nearer 15-18 minutes most of the time. Some babies just eat quickly, my LO now finishes a boob in under 5 mins, and sometimes has both - but she's 22lb so I imagine she needs both to fill her up!

If your LO wakes up hungry again soon after feeding, it's a sign that they get tired waiting for the milk and fall asleep before finishing, but that doesn't sound like your LO to me. Is the latch ok - no pain or anything?

Thank you so much for replying!
Shes having lots of dirty/wet diapers id say at least 10. What color should he poop be? Its like an orangeish right now. She eats 6-8 times a day. Today when ive given her EMB she took 2oz, but when BF only stayed on for 5-10 mins and then wanted to eat again 30 minutes later its like she gets tired and then wakes soon after for more. I think the latch is ok, no pain.

10 nappies a day sounds fine. Poop is usually described as a kind of mustardy yellow, but orangey is fine too.
Newborns should feed 8-12 times in 24 hours, so it sounds like your LO could possibly use another couple of feeds.

Have you tried the normal tricks to wake her up when she falls asleep feeding? Feed her in just her nappy, use a wet washcloth to wipe on her face to keep her awake and alert, rub her palm in a circle (apparently it encourages them to suck)

Have you had her weighed yet? Remember that babies quite often lose weight in the first week or two anyway.

10 nappies a day sounds fine. Poop is usually described as a kind of mustardy yellow, but orangey is fine too.
Newborns should feed 8-12 times in 24 hours, so it sounds like your LO could possibly use another couple of feeds.

Have you tried the normal tricks to wake her up when she falls asleep feeding? Feed her in just her nappy, use a wet washcloth to wipe on her face to keep her awake and alert, rub her palm in a circle (apparently it encourages them to suck)

Have you had her weighed yet? Remember that babies quite often lose weight in the first week or two anyway.

She actually had diarrhea for 2 days im thinking from the formula but she seems ok now. I will def try to get few more feeds in.

No I guess I havent tried it all, ive heard of those thing they just seem cruel to me but I will give it a go. She gets weighed tomorrow.

Hoping someone will be ale to help me. My DD is 5 dys old and ive been BF but once she latches she only drinks 15 min on one side, no matter what I do she wont wake up anf doesnt wanna eat. She goes 2-4 hours in between feeds and seems content but im worried she isint getting enough. I just gave her EBM and she took 1.5oz then fell asleep. Thanx for reading.

I agree with what CO said. :thumbup:

Both my LOs only fed from one side until they were about 4 months old. Then they started to drain the first side faster and wanted the other side after that.

I also used all the "tricks" to keep them awake and feeding. They aren't cruel. When they are truly full and tired, they will sleep through the tricks. :D

As long as you have a content baby with the right number of nappies and gaining weight, you are fine. :thumbup:

hello ,
i would like to have a BF champion too... i breastfeed my little Ilyes since one month now and i express 260 ML a day just in case but we still facing some problem positioning cause my LO often choke or stop breathing while nursing... Do i have too much milk or hes not in the right position i dont know please help:cry:

I agree (again!) with what CO said -- listen to her, she knows what she's on about. ;)

I have an super strong let down and an ultra fast flow. Both my babies have dealt with it in different ways. My DS choked and gagged and coughed at every feed for WEEKS until he figured out how to manage it better. It took until he was around 10-12 weeks old. It seemed worse from about 4-8 weeks of age.

My DD gulped and stopped breathing easily when nursing. She swallowed LOADS of air as a result and had terrible gas problems for the first few months. :dohh: She would not breathe between sucks because she couldn't figure out how to time it and not choke because the milk was spraying so hard and fast into her mouth. Then she would get all confused and start gulping and swallowing air... then she would unlatch, come up for air as if she had been drowning, recover, and start all over again. :wacko: She eventually worked her way through it and feeds just fine now.

Just make sure your LO's spine is aligned properly and is straight. If you are doing cradle hold, you should be tummy to tummy with LO. Keeping them as supported and straight as possible, without making them turn their head to the side, will help them deal with the fast flow better.

I am really struggling & have been thinking of stopping BF (which I dont really want to do~yet anyway)

My main problem is engorged breasts, now with lots of painfull lumps :cry:

I am really hoping someone can offer advice, before I go crazy! :wacko:

It sounds like you have oversupply problems, hon. :hugs: Do you do any extra pumping or expressing? If you do, stop. Also, do you offer a dummy or do you let her comfort suck a lot? If you don't offer a dummy, consider one in place of comfort sucking. The extra stimulation of comfort sucking will lead to more milk production.

Massage the lumps and use warm compresses on them. Try to get them resolved as fast as you can because they can become blocked ducts that become mastitis. :(

It takes anywhere from 4-12 weeks (usually 4-6), but your supply should regulate and oversupply shouldn't be a problem much after that. You just need to power through it in the early weeks... and you are almost there already! :hugs:

[
I dont know if my LO is fussy those days but its gettig hard to keep him latch on he wont take it full (the areola) and start kicking ad pullng while sucking..he seems very hungry and never satisfied as he ll take the breast whenever i propose him..I am worried even tho he s gt plenty of wet nappies and normal stool what to do?

Hes really upset when its feeding time and wont wait to latch on but just "attack" it even if he get only the nipple :wacko:

[
I dont know if my LO is fussy those days but its gettig hard to keep him latch on he wont take it full (the areola) and start kicking ad pullng while sucking..he seems very hungry and never satisfied as he ll take the breast whenever i propose him..I am worried even tho he s gt plenty of wet nappies and normal stool what to do?

Hes really upset when its feeding time and wont wait to latch on but just "attack" it even if he get only the nipple :wacko:

6 week growth spurt!!

Feed him as often as he wants it, and your supply will soon increase to meet his needs. A lot of women quit BF around 6 weeks because their LO starts acting hungry and fussy and it coincides with your breasts getting softer, so women think their milk has gone.

Try to feed before he gets too hungry, and you can also try feeding him laying down as he gets sleepy as he'll be less likely to fuss so much.

Hold on for a few days and you should get back to normal :flower:

It sounds like you have oversupply problems, hon. :hugs: Do you do any extra pumping or expressing? If you do, stop. Also, do you offer a dummy or do you let her comfort suck a lot? If you don't offer a dummy, consider one in place of comfort sucking. The extra stimulation of comfort sucking will lead to more milk production.

Massage the lumps and use warm compresses on them. Try to get them resolved as fast as you can because they can become blocked ducts that become mastitis. :(

It takes anywhere from 4-12 weeks (usually 4-6), but your supply should regulate and oversupply shouldn't be a problem much after that. You just need to power through it in the early weeks... and you are almost there already! :hugs:

Thankyou so much 'tigerlady' :flower:

I dont express, only a very small amount when the pain is unbearable, just to take the edge off

She has a dummy, but doesnt really use it alot...Its interesting that you mention 'comfort sucking' as I think she may have been doing this a few times on me lately, as I am so consumed with emptying the breast, I keep her on for as long as poss, but I wonder now if shes not actually drinking! :dohh:

I am trying to massage the lumps out, but its proving tricky, so I should try something warm on them (although my boobs feel pretty warm!) :shrug:

Thankyou again, I cant tell you how much this support means :hugs:

Kelly - try massaging them in the bath. For some magical reason, being in the bath can really help get things moving.

I had to persevere with a dummy too as LO stimulated my milk when she comfort sucked. She still can't comfort suck now without having too feed too. I'm sure that's why's she's on the 95th percentile!

Kellyc75 - I really suffered with this problem when my LO was just born... my boobs were MASSIVE and I couldn't tell if they were empty or full or had been drained or not! Unfortunately I didn't notice any blockages, mastitis just came on really quick for me, twice in each boob. So yes great advice, massage in the bath.

Have a look at this leaflet because if it does come on it does so quickly and the quicker you catch it the better:
https://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BFN_Mastitis.pdf

I'm not saying you will mind you so don't worry but no harm in being prepared... I wasn't at all, hadn't read about it, didn't know what it was really.

Oh and make sure you're wearing a good fitting bra!

Any questions please feel free to ask.

Yep, massage in bath or shower. I've done that many times and the warmth helps. I've also put warm compresses on mine and then massaged when I needed to help with blocked ducts. And feeding in different positions can help drain them better.

My DD comfort sucks a lot and always stimulates new let downs and more milk. That's probably why she weighs 18 lbs at 4 months! :haha: Strangely, my DS has figured out to how comfort suck without stimulating a let down. No idea what he does differently. :shrug:

Stoped expressing milk but today baby choked really bad and scared me :cry: it was really scary i made pauses but he seemed to want more i feel so bad:cry::cry:

What do you mean by "choked" really bad? Chances are he was really just gagging or had a bit of milk in the wrong pipe and was clearing it. He probably wasn't in true danger. True choking is actually when the airway is blocked completely and they can't get air in or out... thus, it is silent.

Babies have a VERY sensitive gag reflex and will gag at the slightest thing -- which looks horrible, but is actually not dangerous. :hugs:

I mean he stoped breathing for few seconds coughted and then recovered....but it was really impressive he vomited three times today so i think that i am giving him too much ... can you overfeed a breastfed baby?
My son would cry badly when i take him off the breast so i give him ,and you can be sure that he will vomit one hour after:cry::cry::cry:

He might have a bit of reflux? Are you in the UK? Maybe mention it to your health visitor.

My LO went through a phase of bringing up huge amounts of milk, she grew out of it eventually, but it's worth speaking to someone just incase it's reflux related.

Yeah i will mention it to her, we already went to the hospital due to reflux milk came out of his nose and mouth and all his body was arched but thank God it only happened once

Definitey talk to a hv or gp about it. Does it happen after every feed no matter what? Or is it after only some feeds? Does he bring all of it up again or just bits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->