Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Flower Girl Have you and your LO been checked for thrush? I remember someone at the bf group I went to saying a similar story (really sore boobs and a baby who just would not stop crying) and as soon as the bf consultant looked at her she said she had thrush, and looked in the baby's mouth and said he did too. If you do have it you will both need to be treated as you can pass it back and forth.

My friend was the same :)

Flower Girl Have you and your LO been checked for thrush? I remember someone at the bf group I went to saying a similar story (really sore boobs and a baby who just would not stop crying) and as soon as the bf consultant looked at her she said she had thrush, and looked in the baby's mouth and said he did too. If you do have it you will both need to be treated as you can pass it back and forth.

No we haven't, I went to the doctors today and he didn't even touch Thomas to check him out. I hadn't thought of thrush mself to be honest. The doctor has given me antibiotics for suspected mastitis but they are the same antibiotics I had 4 weeks ago for an infection in my c-section scar and they made me feel ill and gave Thomas tummy ache so I don't even want to take them if it will make him worse as I am struggling to cope with the colic on its own. I would rather suffer the pain I have than risk making LO worse :cry:

I am taking LO to get weighed on Wednesday so will ask the health visitor about thrush and see what they say. Would there be any other symtoms I can look for with thrush? Wouldn't it be in both boobs if we have it?

FlowerGirl I've never had thrush but as far as I know you can just get it in one boob. Symptoms can be things like little white spots on the babies tounge and on your nipples, but as far as I am aware you don't always get symptoms. Let me see if I can find some more info for you :flower:

This info might help, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who has more experience of Thrush than me :hugs:

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2448.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=135

I do have 2 or 3 of the symptoms on there, flaky skin, red around the nipple and the shooting/burning pain, confused now as to what is wrong with me :shrug: Thomas does make the clicking sound when he is nursing sometimes but trying to look in his mouth without making him scream is proving v.hard so I'm not sure if he has any patches in his mouth, there is nothing on his tongue though.

Don't know what to do, I've not taken the antibiotics I got today because of how bad they made me feel last time, guess I should go back to the doctors again and et a second opinion. Might wait until Wednesday as I will be seeing the health visitor to get LO weighed and can see a doctor then.

Thanks for your help Sarahwoo x

No problem :hugs:

I think I'd be tempted to go and see a different doctor if thats possible, and just say that you are worried about thrush and point out all the thrush like symptoms. Also explain about the anti-biotics as they might be able to give you something else instead if you do need them. I had mastitis when Oliver was about 12 weeks and I had to take anti-biotics, it gave Oliver the worst poos ever . . . it was like water :sick: and literally went everywhere!!! I've avoided them ever since :haha:

Yeah I will see a different doctor next time, trouble is i'm allergic to penicillin which limits what i can have even more according to the doctors :-(

I'd just rather suffer myself than risk upsetting Thomas's tummy anymore but if its thrush he needs treating too so i think i should get a second opinion x

Flower Girl, the BF adviser at my local clinic said that it is often very difficult to see thrush in a bf babies mouth, I think she said it is something to do with the nipple going so far back in the mouth. If you do have to take antibiotic get yourself some friendly bacteria drinks (yakult/actimel type things) or some acidophilis https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=753 to help neutralise the effects of the anti-b's.

Guess that won't help getting thrush diagnosed as our problem then :-( I already have yakult daily to help with my IBS so will up my intake of it if I get given anything for thrush, thanks :flower:

flower girl :hugs: hope you get it sorted. my mum and i had thrush when she was bf me and it was quickly sorted apparently :hugs:

Hi Ladies,

Not sure where to start really, Alfie is 10 days old and up until day 4 I Breastfed him exclusively but I was in agony by then. My nipples were just so sore and like everyone else obviously tired and worn out in general. Hubby and I decided that I could try to express some milk to give me a break during the night. Expressing wasn't (and still isn't) a problem, I can get 60-100ml's on a good session but it was never my intention to get a 'stock' up as such. We then bought some formula for the night feed as hubby had started to make a few comments about the amount that Alfie may or may not be getting. I'm a bit worried now that Hubby has got used to heating up a bottle and quick to feed Alfie when really I should be feeding him as much as possible.

I have already fed him 3 times today, 6, 9.30 and 11.00 and for the first time today i've made sure that Alfie attempts both breasts (I usually wait for him to fall asleep after one) in an attempt to get my milk coming constantly today, I'm right to assume that the less I feed him the less milk i'll produce and vice versa??

Is there anything else I can do to produce more or is there anything I shouldn't be doing??

I really don't want to fall into the trap of formula and I need to be strong and fight for the breastfeeding corner as Hubby has already turned to the formula side so to speak.

Does anyone use formula once or twice during the day and happily breastfeed the rest of the time??

Midwife is coming today, lets see how Alfie's weight is coming along, I hope he's put some on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

xxxx

Hope you get it sorted Flower girl.

If you are suspecting blocked ducts/mastitus, For 24-48 hours feed off the effect boob first as this is the most strong drawdown and will help clear the ducts. Also have you heard of round the clock feeding? That really helps. Basically you vary your LOs positions (you may need some cushions to help) so each feed go 45 degrees different. This again helps all the ducts to be drawn down on and gives it a good go at clearing.

Hi Ladies,

Not sure where to start really, Alfie is 10 days old and up until day 4 I Breastfed him exclusively but I was in agony by then. My nipples were just so sore and like everyone else obviously tired and worn out in general. Hubby and I decided that I could try to express some milk to give me a break during the night. Expressing wasn't (and still isn't) a problem, I can get 60-100ml's on a good session but it was never my intention to get a 'stock' up as such. We then bought some formula for the night feed as hubby had started to make a few comments about the amount that Alfie may or may not be getting. I'm a bit worried now that Hubby has got used to heating up a bottle and quick to feed Alfie when really I should be feeding him as much as possible.

I have already fed him 3 times today, 6, 9.30 and 11.00 and for the first time today i've made sure that Alfie attempts both breasts (I usually wait for him to fall asleep after one) in an attempt to get my milk coming constantly today, I'm right to assume that the less I feed him the less milk i'll produce and vice versa??

Is there anything else I can do to produce more or is there anything I shouldn't be doing??

I really don't want to fall into the trap of formula and I need to be strong and fight for the breastfeeding corner as Hubby has already turned to the formula side so to speak.

Does anyone use formula once or twice during the day and happily breastfeed the rest of the time??

Midwife is coming today, lets see how Alfie's weight is coming along, I hope he's put some on.

Thanks in advance for any help.

xxxx

firstly if he hasnt put on, dont worry, 10 days is very soon.

If you just did say a lunchtime feed of formula each day it wouldnt effect your bf because your body would know it doesnt need to produce milk then. The only thing is that when your going through growth spurts etc it can be very easy to top up with formula and then its a slipperly slope as you will find it hard to ever up your supply to keep up and will find yourself using more and more formula. If your happy for DH to feed one feed for example, do it at a set time each day and stick to it.

If you want to exclusively BF, the odd bottle here and then wont effect you, but might make you feel uncomfortable and you might need to express to stop the pain.

If you want to cut the formula out completely, what I suggest you do is get your LO on your boob as much as possible. Even if it feels like shes not getting anything, the sucking will stimulate your supply. If your worried about her not getting enough, you can top up with a small amount of formula after you've fed her and gradually reduce how much she has.

Worrying about how much shes getting is a common issue when you first start, but just remember your body is built to do this job and as long as shes having regular dirty and wet nappies shes getting enough.

I'm sure there is a few more things you can do I'll have a think! xx

I have already fed him 3 times today, 6, 9.30 and 11.00 and for the first time today i've made sure that Alfie attempts both breasts (I usually wait for him to fall asleep after one) in an attempt to get my milk coming constantly today,
I'm right to assume that the less I feed him the less milk i'll produce and vice versa??
The amount you do feed will effect your supply, but it does take 2-3 days to take effect on your supply, if you are worried about this, try expressing, this will help to keep your supply up.

Express, that will keep it up.

I don't, but my cousin does, her LO was prem, adn she expressed for her, she was exclusively fed on EBM/BM but now, she seems to not be getting enough, so she gives formula twice a day, and LO is so much happier, I suspect she is not eating/drinking enough or well enough, amke sure you are eating and drinking well and often, as your fluid intake will effect your supply, as will the quality of foods you are eating!

Remember babies lose weight in the first week or so, so don't be worried if he's not put on too much weight!

hope I helped

Hey hon, how are your nipples now? Have you tried lahnsinoh? Also I found savoy cabbage leaves good in the early days! X

If you are suspecting blocked ducts/mastitus, For 24-48 hours feed off the effect boob first as this is the most strong drawdown and will help clear the ducts. Also have you heard of round the clock feeding? That really helps. Basically you vary your LOs positions (you may need some cushions to help) so each feed go 45 degrees different. This again helps all the ducts to be drawn down on and gives it a good go at clearing.

I'm really not sure what it is, I had quite a lot of pain in my left boob over the weekend but this morning it is fine :shrug: now I've just expressed some milk from the right which was looking quite full and its very watery as opposed to the normal milk colour. Now I'm worried something is wrong and don't know if it is safe to give Thomas this boob? :shrug: There is no strange smell to the milk or anything, just that it looks a lot thinner than my normal milk.

I'm really not sure what it is, I had quite a lot of pain in my left boob over the weekend but this morning it is fine :shrug: now I've just expressed some milk from the right which was looking quite full and its very watery as opposed to the normal milk colour. Now I'm worried something is wrong and don't know if it is safe to give Thomas this boob? :shrug: There is no strange smell to the milk or anything, just that it looks a lot thinner than my normal milk.

Its fine, it sounds just like foremilk to me. Our milk is very clever, in hot weather we produce more foremilk (the watery stuff) and in cold more hind (the fatty stuff!) sounds like you've expressed off more of the foremilk.

I'm glad its gone, it does sound like it was a blocked duct to me, might be worth trying what I said if you get it again!

Evening Ladies, Thank you so much for your replies.

So the midwife came, LO's birth weight was 2.94 and now he's 3.14 so all good there. I told her I was struggling a bit so she asked if she could see me do it and she said although what I was doing wasn't wrong just that she showed me a better way to hold LO and get him to latch, have to say I could literally feel the excess milk dripping down my side so it must be a good flow for LO. :thumbup:

Just hope I can keep it up myself now, Hubby fed LO whilst I had a nice soak in the bath and I shall see what he's like when we go to bed, if he won't settle then i'll do a formula as a last resort.

Can I ask how long on average do you ladies breastfeed for??? Could really do with finding out if i'm not dedicating enough feeding time for LO and I.
Many thanks in advance.

xx

Hey Lucylu, glad the midwife was of help and I hope you are proud of being responsible for your lo's weight gain :) In the early days my lo would feed for about 40mins per feed - and it felt like she was constantly on the boob (in reality it was probably every 2 hours we began a feed). Nowadays as we are both so much more experienced at it, the feeds are usually about 10mins a time!
How long are you feeding for and when do you know the feed is finished?
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->