Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

So I ordered some Fenugreek for my milk supply. There is one time everyday where Max doesnt seem to want to nurse. He will for a bit, but then starts to fuss and pull off every few seconds. He gets extremely fussy and acts like he is starving. So I finally relent and give him a couple ounces of formula, then he sleeps for a couple hours and is all content. I really want to keep breastfeeding exclusively. I feel guilty everytime I give him a bottle. What should I do?

So I ordered some Fenugreek for my milk supply. There is one time everyday where Max doesnt seem to want to nurse. He will for a bit, but then starts to fuss and pull off every few seconds. He gets extremely fussy and acts like he is starving. So I finally relent and give him a couple ounces of formula, then he sleeps for a couple hours and is all content. I really want to keep breastfeeding exclusively. I feel guilty everytime I give him a bottle. What should I do?

Is this in the late afternoon evening by chance? Many babies have a fussy time some time during the day, often in the late afternoon/early evening, and they don't actually want more than they are getting from the breast, they are just impatient.
Babies are designed to try lots of different things to see if it makes food come out better or easier, so he is training you to give him formula. :hugs: They are so tricky :). I'd say don't feel guilty about giving him a bottle in the past, but just stick with BF him during that time even though he's complaining because it can have an effect on your supply. You'll have to explain to your other kids and OH that the baby is going to want to feed and complain, and feed some more during that time so you need extra help.
You can try fenugreek if you like, but is there any indication you have low supply? Is he not gaining well pooing/peeing?
I'd recommend doing breast compressions during fussytime (that's what we always called it) to help your milk ejection along. Just give your breasts a squeeze while he's sucking and it should help the milk to come out faster (which is really probably what he wants). Good luck!

I hate myself for introducing a bottle to Zoe at all. This is so damn frustrating. She HATES my nipples. :cry:

Hey Lucylu, glad the midwife was of help and I hope you are proud of being responsible for your lo's weight gain :) In the early days my lo would feed for about 40mins per feed - and it felt like she was constantly on the boob (in reality it was probably every 2 hours we began a feed). Nowadays as we are both so much more experienced at it, the feeds are usually about 10mins a time!
How long are you feeding for and when do you know the feed is finished?
x
Wow, 40 mins??!! Yikes, i've never left him for longer than 20 mins and thats a good feed, perhaps the first of the morning. Maybe thats my problem, i'm not allowing enough time to do it properly. Our feeding session usually starts by LO crying or starting to suck everything so i'm quick to get him on the nipple, he usually stays on the first one for about ten mins if i'm lucky, then seems to fall asleep or generally come off the nipple, I usually then put him back to sleep (unless I can get a winding session in without waking him)I only started yest winding him in between and then putting him on the other nipple.

I think I need to try to allow more time to this feeding.:coffee:

Lucylu does he fall asleep while he's feeding? If you tickle his feet he will probably stir just enought to keep sucking but not completely wake up. It might just be that your lo only needs shorter feeds though - and you'll probably find that the length of feeds changes all the time. I have no idea how long Oliver fed for - long enough for me to put my feet up :haha: Rather than worry about time, just think if baby is content and happy (and newborns have that gorgeous 'milk drunk' look :)) he's probably had enough. Let him come off the breast on his own, then after the first breast offer the second. You might want to offer again after he's burped as Oliver always found it made room for a bit more :haha: :haha: If you do that and your baby is gaining weight and having pleanty of wet nappies, you'll be absolutely fine :)

Oliver did this too, we did the exact same thing with the bottle and got the same result, but like you I was really keen to EBF. We stopped with the formula and I think he was overtired at that time of the day (usually about 6pm). I just kept going and after a few weeks he just stopped - but I'm sure I was missing sleep cues before that. Could he be overtired?

can you assist with returning to breast after bottle. LO is 7 weeks, FF since 1 week due to TT and latch issues. Is it possible?

can you assist with returning to breast after bottle. LO is 7 weeks, FF since 1 week due to TT and latch issues. Is it possible?

It is possible to relactate - although I've not got personal experience on this - there is a BnB member who did - her name escapes me though :wacko: maybe someone else knows? :hugs:

EDIT seen above post, ignore me!

I can't remember...I think there was a thread on it in the BF section, if you search for it?

it is possible, as soon as I get on the laptop (I'm on my phone now) I'll post some links :) I haven't done it but there is a lot of info available as far as I am aware :)

Rachel I found this document; its from the WHO, when I say document its more like a book its on relactation. Contains a lot of statistics regarding relactation but also practical advice and 'how tos'

https://www.ennonline.net/pool/files/ife/who-chs-cah-98-14-relactation-document.pdf

https://www.babyandbump.com/breastfeeding/587920-11-months-feeding-loads-suddenly.html#post10135264

i found this on relactation. no personal experience though! GL :flower:

https://www.alisaikeda.com/Clients_Clips/Relactation/body_relactation.html

Well I saw the lactation consultant yesterday and she told me up up my fenugreek and if nothing works by next week she's going to put me on some pill and if THAT doesn't work she basically told me to give up because it just wasn't happening. I think I might as well. I just don't have the time to pump since LO is so high needs and wants to be held constantly, there's no way I can be all hooked up and hold her since I have to massage my chest otherwise nothing comes out. What little supply I have is dwindling to nothing so it's not even worth pumping anyway. :cry: She won't take my nipples, I can't produce enough... I think it's the end. And all because I didn't listen to my gut in the hospital when I had this feeling to try and BF her. I did this to myself. :cry:

Just had to vent, thanks for any advice anyone has given me. I will update if the pills work but when a lactation consultant says you might as well give up I think it's caputs. :(

atm just what I suspect are normal anxieties :haha:

my baby has lost 11.4% of their birth weight and I'm being advised to add EBM to their daily feeds but I want to understand more before I do anything

also they seem to feed for about 10mins each boob every hour and a half ish - which depending on what I read isn't enough

rather than get panicked I'd like to learn more :)

Panic not! :)

It is normal for babies to lose some weight in the first few days, and most doctors feel that up to 10% is safe, and that any more than that is a slight cause for concern. However, there are some doctors that believe up to 15% is safe. I think that you're being asked to give extra milk to just help your LO get back to birth weight that little bit quicker. If your LO has plenty of wet and dirty nappies then there isn't much wrong! :)

10 mins on each boob every hour and a half is plenty! Your LO has a very small tummy, and breast milk is easily digested so your LO will get hungry quite quickly, but won't necessarily feed for very long. To begin with, my LO would only feed from one boob and for only 7 mins! I was constantly panicking that he wasn't getting enough but he was, and gradually his feeds got longer.

Hope this has put some of your anxieties to rest :flower: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->