Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hey hun,

You are doing all the right things so far - keep pumping and keep offering him the boob.
Something you may find useful is pumping on your left side until your milk lets down, then offer it to LO. At that point, you'll probably have the most luck as your milk will be flowing more and your nipple will be more protuding.
Nipple shields are fantastic as a last resort - Scarlett used them for the first 5 weeks, and then all of a sudden latched, so it can be done! However, some people find it hard to wean their LOs off, and it can effect your supply if you use them too often. Maybe use a nipe shield on the left breast until your nipple has come out a bit more, then take it off and try offering the boob?
I had horrible latch issues at first - Scarlett just didn't want/know how to latch. It came with time, though, and now she is 9 months old and we're still going strong! There is almost always a way, so don't give up :)
Hope this helps - I'm a bit tired, so I apologise if I've rambled!

I've tried offering my left boob once it's let down and he still can't latch - that boob almost always leaks too so I try getting him to latch by showing him there's milk there but still no luck. I tried nipple shields too but they make my nipple soo sore and it squashes into a funny shape? I'm really struggling with my right boob now too because I'm only feeding him from that side all the time and not giving him the expressed milk because he screams when I try to cup feed him and I'm scared to give him a bottle incase he gets confused between breast and bottle. Last night was so stressful, I hate that I dread feeding him :cry:

Lover - have you tried different positions? i had to rugby ball hold Owen on one side for a while.

Yes I've tried cradle hold, cross cradle, rugby and laying down - none of them will get him to latch on to the left side though and we can only feed in the cross cradle and rugby holds from my right side.

hun if you check the front page of this thread there is a list of all the champions and what we have personal experience dealing with i know there are a few who dealt with low supply and relaction issues ,

hey ladies. my lo is 8days old and i only managed to bf for the first 2 days and gave up due to sore nipples but i realy want to try bf again but i dont think i have any milk and i dont know where to start, can any 1 help .

you will still have milk there hun, sore nipples are a common thing for the first few days so be prepared if you start again then you will likely get them again i would find a local BF counsellor or peer support worker to give you some hands on help and guidance, best thing is lots of skin to skin time with no pressure on baby to latch it will help your production increase

Hey hun,

You are doing all the right things so far - keep pumping and keep offering him the boob.
Something you may find useful is pumping on your left side until your milk lets down, then offer it to LO. At that point, you'll probably have the most luck as your milk will be flowing more and your nipple will be more protuding.
Nipple shields are fantastic as a last resort - Scarlett used them for the first 5 weeks, and then all of a sudden latched, so it can be done! However, some people find it hard to wean their LOs off, and it can effect your supply if you use them too often. Maybe use a nipe shield on the left breast until your nipple has come out a bit more, then take it off and try offering the boob?
I had horrible latch issues at first - Scarlett just didn't want/know how to latch. It came with time, though, and now she is 9 months old and we're still going strong! There is almost always a way, so don't give up :)
Hope this helps - I'm a bit tired, so I apologise if I've rambled!

I've tried offering my left boob once it's let down and he still can't latch - that boob almost always leaks too so I try getting him to latch by showing him there's milk there but still no luck. I tried nipple shields too but they make my nipple soo sore and it squashes into a funny shape? I'm really struggling with my right boob now too because I'm only feeding him from that side all the time and not giving him the expressed milk because he screams when I try to cup feed him and I'm scared to give him a bottle incase he gets confused between breast and bottle. Last night was so stressful, I hate that I dread feeding him :cry:

Lover - have you tried different positions? i had to rugby ball hold Owen on one side for a while.

Yes I've tried cradle hold, cross cradle, rugby and laying down - none of them will get him to latch on to the left side though and we can only feed in the cross cradle and rugby holds from my right side.

sounds like you need a different size nipple shield hun...think it's medela offer different sizes (as i'm sure others do) - have a look on ebay but i think if its squishing you then you need a bigger size

have you visited your local BFing support group? if you have surestart near you call and ask them when its on...help in person is often the extra boost needed :hugs:

hey ladies. my lo is 8days old and i only managed to bf for the first 2 days and gave up due to sore nipples but i realy want to try bf again but i dont think i have any milk and i dont know where to start, can any 1 help .

you definately still have milk, your supply takes 2-3 days to adjust to any change in demand so it will boost itself quickly.

go to your GP and ask for prescription for Lansinoh (don't be fobbed off by others as lansinoh is only one safe for LO to swallow as its pure lanolin). you can buy this in places like boots for £10

rub lansinoh on your nips, before and after a feed and at any other time in the day that you remember to do so. it eases friction and helps heal any cracks

emsy - i agree with wishingonastar that lansinoh is a godsend with sore nipples. lots of skin to skin and avoid ff as much as possible and let LO nurse 24/7 if need be to encourage your milk production. forget about the housework and everything else and just concentrate on you and your baby.

I third the Lanisinoh I still have it every so often my 19 month old makes me sore when he is having a growth spurt and I use it then. I also agree that in the beginning try to just be in bed the whole day or on the couch if you can. Go on strike from the housework.

thankyou ladies, i will give the lansinoh a go. im feeling a bit dejected as i have hardley any milk at all, when i put lo to nurse he just gets stressed because nothing comes out, today i tried to express and all ive managed is about a tea spoon full :(

expressing isn't an indicator of supply - babies are FAR better at getting the milk out so he's probably had a lot more than you think :flower:

Emsy - Just keep offering even if baby isn't asking and your supply will go up. If you can have baby on chest with skin to skin contact this also stimulates the milk supply.

Girls I need your help, Tristan is teething at the minute, he got one 8 days ago. The last few days he's been biting whilst feeding and tonights bedtime feed was awful, as soon as he latched he bit and wouldn't feed. I eventually got him to but that was after giving him Anbesol and a Teether to chew on first. How do you all cope? I don't want to quit just coz he is biting

have you tried gently pushing his nose into your boob so he can't breathe for a second and has to let go? do it a few times and they soon learn!

Whenever my lo bit me would put her down next to me and not make eye contact for 30 seconds or so, then try feeding again, she soon got the message! Think someone on here told me that but cant remember who.

Hope the teething passes quickly! X

Thanks. I did try the taking it away but he just laughs! I'll try the pushing his nose in next time he does it :)

Girls I need your help, Tristan is teething at the minute, he got one 8 days ago. The last few days he's been biting whilst feeding and tonights bedtime feed was awful, as soon as he latched he bit and wouldn't feed. I eventually got him to but that was after giving him Anbesol and a Teether to chew on first. How do you all cope? I don't want to quit just coz he is biting

What I used to do with mine at that stage was say ouch! gently remove them ,they caught on really quick sounds ,stupid when I write it down! :wacko:

he will learn it hurts and wont do it any more! I managed to feed 4 all over the teeting stages one of mine was born with 2 teeth as well LOL

Just found this thread, its brilliant love it! I love to offer my self if I could be any help!

Im currently breastfeeding my 5th baby :flower:

Biting is awful, but I find with Oliver that it's very much a now and then thing - he doesn't do it all the time. If he bites me I say ouch (usually no choice in that one :haha:) and I put him on the floor / in his cot and ignore him. Depending on his mood he will either sit and cry or laugh and crawl off. But within a minute he's usually back and wanting more milk, if he bites again (very rare) I make him wait a bit longer. If he just keeps doing it I stop the feed.

Oliver always bites and then smiles while he's still got my poor bitten nipple in his mouth - cheeky little monkey!

EJ doesnt bite anymore caus i tend to yelp in pain when he does and promptly put him on the floor for a min or so before re-starting the feed, once he got to 10 months if he bit it was the end of the feed for a good half hour or so caus it was causing brusies when he bit me, now he wouldnt dare

with Erin i never had this problem so when Owen started biting it was awful. he bit and pulled so hard he made my nipple bleed! ouch! lansinoh helped. every time he bit i would break his latch and say 'no' firmly. he got the message after a while and very rarely bites now. good luck! :hugs:

Hello

I would love a BF champion. I posted this in breastfeeding bit perhaps a champion may also be able to advise?

At LO's 5 day midwife check she had lost a tiny bit of weight which I was assured was normal. She has seen the MW today at 14 days and has lost a tiny bit more, I'm so gutted

She seemed to be feeding fairly well, I don't understand it. I have tried expressing with a manual breast pump but it takes ages - 2 hours on and off -to get 60 ml!!!! Maybe I don't produce enough milk?

MW says I have to supplement her feeds with expressed milk or formula. OH has gone out to get an electric pump in a last ditch attempt at not having to top up with formula.

She also says I should use the cup not a bottle - do you have to pour it into LO mouth or will she kind of lick it? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->