Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

After eating oats practically all day every day I have enough milk to feed LO at night, I have nothing in the day, b ut I have just enough to do a night feed!!

I'm sick of porridge too! :hugs:

Sorry i don't know you history... try pumping after you've fed LO, i find this helps me. If you already do then ignore me! x

Sorry i don't know you history... try pumping after you've fed LO, i find this helps me. If you already do then ignore me! x

Haha thanks hun, yeah I do pump now lol, I just think Im starting to run out of milk =(

As long as we can keep this one feed up for as long as he wants to keep going, I'll be happy!!

Haha thanks hun, yeah I do pump now lol, I just think Im starting to run out of milk =(

As long as we can keep this one feed up for as long as he wants to keep going, I'll be happy!!

Well good luck! Hope it works out for you x

Is there anybody who could help me? 7 weeks in we are still having latch issues. Everyone said it would click at 6 weeks but it hasn't. Everyone who's ever looked at my latch tells me it 'looks' fine but it can't be. My nipples are still pinkish & sore & I currently have a couple of small cracks on left side. When LO comes off my nipple is sometimes misshapen so something must be wrong. I've gone back to basics, reading all the stuff I got at hosp about how to latch but it's not helping. The soreness is not as bad as it was - early on I couldn't stand even the shower jets on them! I'm using lansinoh after each feed & shower & try to rub milk in after a feed. All this is meaning I really don't enjoy BF & think about switching to FF every day. Only guilt at wanting to give LO the best start is making me stick it out. Everyone says it'll get better but surely it should've done so by now? I can't even contemplate getting to 6 months at the min. I'm just setting mini goals - my next being 8 weeks, then 2 months etc. Any advice would be great. x

It took weeks and weeks for my nipples to heal properly and for me to be able to feed pain free, so hang in there because it does get better! I think it took about 9 weeks for it to click with me and my LO. Have you tried using nipple shields while the nipple is healing? They were my lifesaver, and probably the only reason that I am still BFing at 5 months! :hugs:

Sazzler, my nips were always slightly misshapen aver a feed, more so on one side. It doesn't have to mean there is a problem.

Could the pinkish colour be thrush?

Have yo tried lots of different positions?

As nervous suggests, nipple shields might help for a bit x

Is there anybody who could help me? 7 weeks in we are still having latch issues. Everyone said it would click at 6 weeks but it hasn't. Everyone who's ever looked at my latch tells me it 'looks' fine but it can't be. My nipples are still pinkish & sore & I currently have a couple of small cracks on left side. When LO comes off my nipple is sometimes misshapen so something must be wrong. I've gone back to basics, reading all the stuff I got at hosp about how to latch but it's not helping. The soreness is not as bad as it was - early on I couldn't stand even the shower jets on them! I'm using lansinoh after each feed & shower & try to rub milk in after a feed. All this is meaning I really don't enjoy BF & think about switching to FF every day. Only guilt at wanting to give LO the best start is making me stick it out. Everyone says it'll get better but surely it should've done so by now? I can't even contemplate getting to 6 months at the min. I'm just setting mini goals - my next being 8 weeks, then 2 months etc. Any advice would be great. x

might be trush I had problems with red nipples and soreness this time that lastetd 4 weeks when normally if im sore its just the first week getting used to BF again and correcting baby latch. try some over the counter dacktarin for your nipples and baby mouth or go to the doc and see what they think.
another thing if you noticed a mis shapen nipple has any one checked lo mouth tounge tied may be! I dont know much about it! but think it can make latching on harder! might be worth while checking that out as well.

good luck I like your idea of mini goals and it really does get easier the longer you do it it was a tough 8 weeks for me this time, with soreness, trush, then mastitis but at 13 weeks its great has been for a while now :hugs:

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I'm a bit tentative about nipple shields. I've heard it's hard to get back to just breast? How would I go about not using them again?

I'm not sure about it being thrush. I don't think LOs mouth is white & I don't have any other symptoms. But I'll ask the maternity health care worker about it on Mon when she's coming for my last appointment.

I don't know about him being tongue tied cos I'm usually only misshapen on one side but I'll have a read up on it.

Thanks again. X

I used nipple shields for a few weeks, with the odd "naked" feed to make sure he didn't forget how it felt. He self weaned himself from them so I had no problems at all.

It could still be tongue tie; for some reason my LOs tongue tie (a fairly mild case) only affected his feeding on the left side most of the time. He'd click when feeding and give me mishappen blanched nipples on the left side no matter what position I'd try but he'd always be pretty much fine on the right. He stopped causing me any problems in that regard; at about 9 weeks xx

I may well give nipple shields a go just to get me through a few days whilst it heals a bit.

I've had a look at Tongue tie stuff on the Internet & I have to say that we every sign of it. Maybe I just want a reason that BF isn't working for us but it does seem a bit of a coincidence. Will try & have a look under his tongue tomorrow & ask the maternity health worker on Mon when she's coming anyway. I daren't hope it is that cos I know it can be fixed. Thank you for all your help. x

Often instincts are right; I kept thinking I am sure LO is tongue tied but the paediatrician and midwife who examined him when born were both trained to look for it and they said definitely not so I dropped the issue; then when he was about two weeks the midwife I'd been seeing when I was pregnant called round (didn't get discharged by them until 5 weeks cos of prolonged jaundice) and she said he had a definite tongue tie. I would have got it fixed in a heartbeat but in this area HCPs are strictly instructed not to refer for it unless the baby isn't gaining weight at all, thankfully it has stretched/improved slightly as he has got older, he feeds extremely well and while he obviously cannot 'talk' yet he doesn't seem to have any problems with babbling a wide variety of sounds. A lot of times it doesn't stretch or improve though and when they get older its a far more invasive operation :( xx

Hi, I wanted to find out if anyone here has successfully breastfed after a breast reduction? I had a breast reduction about 6 years ago and I ended up formula feeding my DS as he wouldn't latch. If I am completely honest, I didn't persevere with BF as they wanted to keep me in hospital for another 4 days to establish feeding. I had a pretty traumatic birth after being induced because of gestational diabetes which ended in emergency c-section so I didn't want to stay in hospital for any longer than I needed to. My son was also slightly jaundiced and his blood sugar was in danger of going low so the midwives and paediatricians were keen to get something in him. I panicked and agreed to FF. I should have persevered when I got home but I didn't and I can't regret that now as he is a healthy and happy 2 year old!

However, I am now 26 weeks pregnant with my second and I am determined to give BF my all this time round. I was able to express colostrum for my DS, which I did for the first 2 days and I wanted to find out if that meant my chances of successfully BF this time round are good? Does that mean my ducts are still in tact? I am slightly worried that because my DS couldn't/wouldn't latch on means my nipples aren't erect enough so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum.

I don't have any experience of a reduction, but if you were producing colostrum last time I'd say that there's a good chance you will be able to bf this time around.

All babies are different so this one might latch and feed like a pro :) When you've had your LO you can pump a little bit before trying to latch your LO as it helps to pull the nipple out. I used to do this but don't need to anymore - they are now permanently pointy :haha: you can also get nipple formers that help pull them out. You can use these from 32 weeks pregnant.

HTH! :flower:

Hi champions! What an accomplishment to be a champion of breastfeeding. It's not an easy task. Anyhow, I have a question about thrush. I'm not sure if I have it or not. My son is 3.5 weeks old. My nipples were very sore at first and seemed to ease up in the second week. But now they hurt again. Especially when latching. But just in general they hurt. I sometimes get shooting sensations in both boobs. Also, letdown has become uncomfortable for me. It's very hard to explain. It's not completely painful. But it's quite uncomfortable sometimes. I don't see any white patches in my son's mouth. Does this sound like something any of you have experienced?

thrush tends to be painful when you're not actually feeding, but after the feed. Plus I got insanely itchy. If it's just when you feed it's probably a bad latch. Have you had LO checked for a tongue tie? That could be the cause of the bad latch. Use lansinoh in the meantime to help with the pain, and if it's really bad you can take paracetamol and/or ibuprofen :)

Hi, I wanted to find out if anyone here has successfully breastfed after a breast reduction? I had a breast reduction about 6 years ago and I ended up formula feeding my DS as he wouldn't latch. If I am completely honest, I didn't persevere with BF as they wanted to keep me in hospital for another 4 days to establish feeding. I had a pretty traumatic birth after being induced because of gestational diabetes which ended in emergency c-section so I didn't want to stay in hospital for any longer than I needed to. My son was also slightly jaundiced and his blood sugar was in danger of going low so the midwives and paediatricians were keen to get something in him. I panicked and agreed to FF. I should have persevered when I got home but I didn't and I can't regret that now as he is a healthy and happy 2 year old!

However, I am now 26 weeks pregnant with my second and I am determined to give BF my all this time round. I was able to express colostrum for my DS, which I did for the first 2 days and I wanted to find out if that meant my chances of successfully BF this time round are good? Does that mean my ducts are still in tact? I am slightly worried that because my DS couldn't/wouldn't latch on means my nipples aren't erect enough so any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I have posted in the wrong forum.

Hey there. I haven't had a reduction, but have read a bit about it as a lot of the treatments are the same as for low supply (which I did have). Since you are producing colostrum that definitely points to intact ducts!
There is someone on the front page of this thread who is willing to be private messaged about her experience with exclusive breastfeeding after reduction. You might also want to check out www.bfar.org.
As your previous baby didn't latch I'd make sure you have support on hand in advance this time. Not latching can be caused by a traumatic delivery, sleepiness and other things but it can also be a sign of tongue tie. So see what breastfeeding resources will be available to you and get them organized now. :flower: Good luck!

Hi champions! What an accomplishment to be a champion of breastfeeding. It's not an easy task. Anyhow, I have a question about thrush. I'm not sure if I have it or not. My son is 3.5 weeks old. My nipples were very sore at first and seemed to ease up in the second week. But now they hurt again. Especially when latching. But just in general they hurt. I sometimes get shooting sensations in both boobs. Also, letdown has become uncomfortable for me. It's very hard to explain. It's not completely painful. But it's quite uncomfortable sometimes. I don't see any white patches in my son's mouth. Does this sound like something any of you have experienced?

Your Symptoms sound very much like mine when I had thrush, but they are not the usual symptoms. Latch was painful initially , and let down became uncomfortable. However, I think I also jut had a strong let down so some of the symptoms became confusing. My nipples also hurt in general, mostly when brushing against clothing.

Thrush is extremely difficult to diagnose, unless lo has obvious white patches. You really need to get help to make sure you have the corct diagnosis is there a bf support group ou could go to?

Paracetamol or ibuprofen will help the pain, but I wouldn't recommend lanisoh if you have any suspicions it is thrush as it creates a seal and keeps warmth and moisture in - perfect conditions for thrush to thrive.

Hope you feel better soon x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->