Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

I have posted this in the regular BF section but posting it again here to see if anyone can give me any further advice/support.

Ok so am pretty close to giving up breast feeding...I couldnt feed my son and all I wanted to do was feed my daughter. I am exclusively BF and for 3 months its been wonderful all I could wish for and her weight gain has been fantastic.

Around 2 weeks ago I had a blocked milk duct which has now cleared.

My duct is open how ever the huge milk blister or milk bleb remains and I dread each and every feed now as its so painful. I have no idea how much milk she seems to get from the left side. Not sure if I can just pump from the left and just feed her from the right but I dont think I would have enough to do that.

I know that the advice is to use hot compresses and bathe your boob at least 4 times per day before nursing, the heat and the moisture can help loosen the skin and they baby nursing can pull it off I guess, however I have a 2 year old and barely find the time to sit and nurse Livi in peace nevermind doing all this too.

Its now been pretty painful feeding her for 10 days now and there seems to be no changes in the blistering... I have burst the blister several times but nothing much is happening with it. I dread each feeding and its had me in tears quite a few times now, plus she is a vicious little feeder always tearing herself of my nipple and grabbing onto boob and nipples with her fingers... I have been getting a bit frustrated with her too.

Will persevere for a bit longer because I remember that it was my big thing, I really wanted to feed her so If i give up just because I am in pain then thats pretty crap really. Anyway hopefully there will be some signs soon of it getting better.

I don't want to stop feeding her but not sure how much longer I can tolerate it.

Holy crap! my left boob hurts SO BAD when I feed! I had to pull him off twice because it hurt so freaking bad!. Like 10,000 tiny knives shooting through my nipple! Its not a clogged duct, I have had that before, but I dont think its mastitus b/c I dont have a fever or feel sick at all.
I tried to pump too just to get the milk out and had to stop that too because of the pain.

WTH?????

Please help!

It's probably thrush- so a yeast or Staph Aureus infection. You'll want to see your Dr (or pediatrician maybe) for an antibiotic prescription to treat both you and your baby.

I have posted this in the regular BF section but posting it again here to see if anyone can give me any further advice/support.

Ok so am pretty close to giving up breast feeding...I couldnt feed my son and all I wanted to do was feed my daughter. I am exclusively BF and for 3 months its been wonderful all I could wish for and her weight gain has been fantastic.

Around 2 weeks ago I had a blocked milk duct which has now cleared.

My duct is open how ever the huge milk blister or milk bleb remains and I dread each and every feed now as its so painful. I have no idea how much milk she seems to get from the left side. Not sure if I can just pump from the left and just feed her from the right but I dont think I would have enough to do that.

I know that the advice is to use hot compresses and bathe your boob at least 4 times per day before nursing, the heat and the moisture can help loosen the skin and they baby nursing can pull it off I guess, however I have a 2 year old and barely find the time to sit and nurse Livi in peace nevermind doing all this too.

Its now been pretty painful feeding her for 10 days now and there seems to be no changes in the blistering... I have burst the blister several times but nothing much is happening with it. I dread each feeding and its had me in tears quite a few times now, plus she is a vicious little feeder always tearing herself of my nipple and grabbing onto boob and nipples with her fingers... I have been getting a bit frustrated with her too.

Will persevere for a bit longer because I remember that it was my big thing, I really wanted to feed her so If i give up just because I am in pain then thats pretty crap really. Anyway hopefully there will be some signs soon of it getting better.

I don't want to stop feeding her but not sure how much longer I can tolerate it.

Poor you! I don't have any experience with blisters unfortunately.

It sounds like you need to see a doc, or bf support worker type person.

Could ou use a hot flannel on one side while lo feeds from the other? Not ideal, but at least it takes up less time.

Also try searching the list at the start of this forum for someone with experience, just in case they haven't checked this thread for a while.
:hugs: hope you find some answers soon x

Thanks, it turns out that I also have thrush on top of the blistering etc and now have a triple therapy nipple cream that I got from the doctor that seems to be doing the trick... yippee.. its still painful but its not making me cry anymore, I can see an end to it and I know that I can keep on feeding my girl.

What a relief to have some answers and to start feeling better!

If you need any help with the thrush, shout, I am very familiar with it unfortunately! Also nervous knows lots too!

I have always doubted my supply and slowly but surely fell down the formula slope resulting in only 1 feed per day.

I then thought perhaps I was ready to give up altogether and so haven't fed for 2 mornings, I miss it terrible and so all its really done is make me want to do more and have another go.

I really want to get into a routine so I was thinking as I feed him first thing perhaps the feeds during the night would be the easiest as I do all the nights anyway.

Can anyone help with regards to how to start feeding again??

latch lo on as often as you possibly can and have as much skin to skin time as possible to encourage your body to make the extra milk. I wouldn't worry about whether to do this only during the day or night, just do it when baby is hungry. When you do feed, offer boob and then give a formula top up only if you have to.

To stop sore nipples use lansinoh before and after feeds, especially as you will hopefully be feeding much more than before. It may well get very painful/difficult as your body readjusts so set yourself small targets if you need to, even if it's only to get through the next feed.

You can also try taling fenugreek and eating lots of oaty things to help increase your supply.

well done for deciding to give bfing another go, and good luck! :flower:

Can I ask a question about increasing supply?

I have tried the skin on skin thing, and putting LO to my breast as often as I can but she just gets very frustrated and angry :(

Is it possible I just can't increase my supply? I seem to make about 1 - 2 oz per feed at most (often less) and always have done since the very beginning?

My boobs have never changed in size at all, my aerola (sp?) have increased but not my boobs, I never feel a let done etc or anything else people tell me I should feel

I love combi feeding her, but I would like to think I could contribute more to her than I am doing now - and I'm in a much better head space to be able to do it too :)

Hi gertrude,

other things you could try to increase your supply are fenugreek tablets, eating lots of oaty things, drinking a lot of water (roughly 3 litres a day!) and drinking a beer after your last feed of the day.

You can also get domperidone from your doctor, or I think you may be able to buy it over the counter too.

Have you tried using a supplementary nursing system? It feeds formula to your LO via a tube while they are on the breast so they don't get frustrated at the lack of milk but you get the vital stimulation for milk production.

Hi gertrude,

other things you could try to increase your supply are fenugreek tablets, eating lots of oaty things, drinking a lot of water (roughly 3 litres a day!) and drinking a beer after your last feed of the day.

You can also get domperidone from your doctor, or I think you may be able to buy it over the counter too.

Have you tried using a supplementary nursing system? It feeds formula to your LO via a tube while they are on the breast so they don't get frustrated at the lack of milk but you get the vital stimulation for milk production.

i agree with this.

well done for carrying on bf :thumbup:

Hi gertrude,

sorry I forgot to say I am taking fenugreek and it does seem to help (and make my wee STINK!) but I think I'm probably not having enough water - or beer! need to get on that one i think!

We considered domperidone but we decided against it for a variety of reasons, some sensible, some stupid but I don't think we're going to go that way - I don't think my GP would be supportive anyway as originally the whole BFing issue drove me into quite a frightening low/depression that she wants me to avoid

And the stuff I've read about SNS imply it's a lot of prep/cleaning and I don't think that will work - I struggle with the expressing as it is!

more water and beer it is :)

just suggested the sns thing to my OH who looked at me in disgust - why are men such prats :haha:

it's only £19.50 on amazon, might give it a go

men just don't get bfing in any shape or form - 5 months on my oh still asks when is LO due a feed? er, when he demands it, hence it being called on demand feeding! :dohh:

I think the sns is definitely worth a try, especially at that price! :thumbup:

Hiya,
Not sure how this works, but I have a question, that you have probably answered many a time before...So sorry to repeat it if you have.

I am thawing my breast milk tonight as am planning on going out for the day. My question is however, how long can I store the milk in a bottle holder/cooler (Tommee Tippee) one? I am aware that it can be stored in the fridge for 24 hours, and after that it needs to be discarded, but what about in the bottle cooler?

Thanks in advance x

KS1977 I'm not sure exactly, I've just had a look on kellymom https://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html but it doesn't mention a time for previously frozen milk in a cooler. I'd always be over cautious and maybe use the cooler for just a few hours.

And the stuff I've read about SNS imply it's a lot of prep/cleaning and I don't think that will work - I struggle with the expressing as it is!

It's not much extra work really. I made up formula in bottles as normal, filled the SNS bottle and taped it on. When I was done I rinsed it in warm soapy water and tossed it in the microwave sterilizer for next time. Total prep time less than 5-10 minutes per feed. Maybe 3-5 minutes before a feed and 5 minutes after (and most of it you aren't doing anything, just waiting for it to sterilize after the feed is done--I used a microwave sterilizer).I found it actually comparable to BF first then bottle feeding...once I got the hang of it. And that's the main issue with it really. It can be a beast to learn to use. I mean, expect it to take at least a week of daily use to start feeling more ok with it. I have an instructional video if you are interested though.

Gertrude first time around for me... I tried fenugreek and blessed thistle, oatmeal, pumping, eating and drinking well, and i did take whopping doses of domperidone and nothing worked for me.

The domperidone does work though for most women and there are also lactation teas that you can get in health food stores...

Good Luck!

I ate oats for 2 meals every day to get my supply back up...porridge or muesli for breakfst and then oaty flapjacks for lunch (with a sarnie lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->