Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi Girls :hi:
I found something last night that I wish I would have read weeks ago! My LO is just over 5 weeks old and I was feeling like his nursing was taking forever. It was frustrating for me to be up 90+ minutes at night & after reading this I realized LO was frustrated too. I normally nurse him 25 minutes on first side, burp, change him, wake him up a bit, and offer the second side for about 10-15 minutes. So one side completely empty, second side about half empty. Start with half empty side next session. This says start with one side let LO drink until he slows down or unlatches, switch side, let LO have the faster letdown from the other side at the beginning of the session. Then he will let go again or slow down switch back to the first side and let him finish on the original breast. If needed offer the second breast again. So he is still getting all the foremilk & hindmilk he would normally get at a session but he is getting it in a different order. They like the faster flow at the beginning and want a slower one at the end. Makes sense right?

I did this last night and we were through the session (out of the crib, ate, returned to crib & asleep) in 35 minutes! This was amazing to me to go from 90 minutes to 35 minutes. And he slept 4.5 hours following this session. LO has reflux but seemed much more comfortable after that. Usually takes atleast 20 minutes to get settled. Also, he was getting very dramatic with his bowel movements (loud grunting and leg movements for atleast 10 minutes) and he was having normal BMs by this evening and seemed less gassy. (No green poops either.)

I wont go on with my story I think it is long enough (although I would be happy to share more if anyone wants to know!). But please look at this article, the site has good info also so look around! It has way different & detailed information than any other site or book or podcast I have read/heard. But it makes so much sense. It teaches you how to read hand cues and behaviors instead of just latching LO on to feed like a cow!

Please please please take a minute and read this! Even if you dont think you have a problem, I bet you learn something!

https://www.mobimotherhood.org/MM/article-milkflow.aspx

Thanks DarlingMe, an interesting read. I think one of the points she makes in the article is really important - about tailored breast feeding. There are no fixed rules that work for everyone.

I also think it important to note that the routine you describe of offering the faster flow from both sides first does have potential problems. Baby might feel satisfied enough from the first two feeding as to not put the effort in to getting the hind milk, which might cause an imbalance.

The more information we have that helps us understand our babies cues the better, then we can truly tailor feeds, so thanks for that link :flower:

Thanks DarlingMe, an interesting read. I think one of the points she makes in the article is really important - about tailored breast feeding. There are no fixed rules that work for everyone.

I also think it important to note that the routine you describe of offering the faster flow from both sides first does have potential problems. Baby might feel satisfied enough from the first two feeding as to not put the effort in to getting the hind milk, which might cause an imbalance.

The more information we have that helps us understand our babies cues the better, then we can truly tailor feeds, so thanks for that link :flower:

Yes I agree about not getting the hind milk. But he usually does one and half breasts (half of a breast??) so it seems to work for us. If you have a LO who nurses off one side, not a good option! Again tailor made breastfeeding!

Do all LOs bite on your nipple? Our LO does this sometimes when he's trying to have a bowel movement, but he's has done it more over the last couple of days and loads today ...it hurts! We usually have a lot more cries in the evening while he's trying to get something out, but he's decided he's doing this more instead. X(

My LO bites, but he only started when he was teething. Could this be the case with your LO too?

My LO bites, but he only started when he was teething. Could this be the case with your LO too?

Well, he's only 6 weeks, which I thought was probably too early, but he has been messing with his ears recently and his top teeth look as though they're bulging downwards a bit, he's also been dribbling a lot more. A midwife, who hasn't actually seen him, said it was very unlikely he would be teething at his age, so I dismissed it. He's also been rubbing his tongue against his front teeth a lot and chewing on his dummy when I give him one. Could it be early teething or would you agree with the mw?

My BIL got his two bottom teeth at 2 months, so it is possible. LO now was teething from 9 weeks but his teeth have only just started to come through; and only one has physically come through the surface of the gum xx

My BIL got his two bottom teeth at 2 months, so it is possible. LO now was teething from 9 weeks but his teeth have only just started to come through; and only one has physically come through the surface of the gum xx

Thank you. He was 16 days late and never really looked like a newborn, so he should be around the 2 month mark now.

Does anyone know why I would have pain in the bottom half of my breasts? Both of them. It just started in the past couple days. It isnt pain when nursing or anything specific. But when I touch them they are a little tender. No redness, heat, or noticable swelling or hard spots. And like I said, both sides? I was looking at symptoms of plugged ducts would sounds possible but both? And I face him all sorts of ways atleast 3 different ways each day (craddle, reverse cradle, football, sidelying). Could it be from supply still regulating and tissues just sore from forming? Ideas?

Does anyone know why I would have pain in the bottom half of my breasts? Both of them. It just started in the past couple days. It isnt pain when nursing or anything specific. But when I touch them they are a little tender. No redness, heat, or noticable swelling or hard spots. And like I said, both sides? I was looking at symptoms of plugged ducts would sounds possible but both? And I face him all sorts of ways atleast 3 different ways each day (craddle, reverse cradle, football, sidelying). Could it be from supply still regulating and tissues just sore from forming? Ideas?

I had this sort of pain in the beginning from my breasts filling up.

it happens everytime there is a growth spurt too. If the pain is burning, or sharp, extremely painful shooting pain, go see the doc

Can I have some support?

:hugs:Did you have any particular concerns? Or if you'd prefer more one-on-one support you can scroll through the list of people on the first page and PM anyone you think might be able to help.

I think I may have thrush, my baby has no symptoms though, no diaper rash and no white spots in his mouth. He sometimes does a clicking noise while feeding though. I have itchy red breasts, not on my nipple but around it. It gets worse when I'm in the shower. I've started changing breast pads more often (use the lansinoh ones) as I thought this is what was it until I started doing research on thrush. Do I have to call my baby's Pediatrician to diagnose it? I have a picture but would rather not post in the forum but will gladly message it to any1 who can help.

Thanx alot!!!

Ttcfirstbb just thought I would let you know my experience and maybe it will help. I had like a sandy gritty feeling in my breasts if that makes sense. Like an itch, like when you have sand left in your swimsuit or something but in the breast tissue.

Generally with thrush it gets worse about 10 minutes after letdown and there are no visible symptoms. Are your nursing pads irrataing you? Have you tried not wearing them? I like the washable ones so much better. Avent makes really nice ones but any of them will do. I found the lanisoh ones to be irritating. If they are leaving something on your
skin or making your breasts raw the shower and soap could be burning the rashy open skin. Does the itch feel internal or mainly outside?

My pediatrician diagnosed LO and I just called my OB for diflucan. you can buy Miconazole cream OTC like you would use for a yeast infection vaginally. Just get one that has a tube with the multiple applicators if you decide to. Then you can close the tube back up. And you can try acidophilus pills. Here is more treatment info if you do think it is thrush. https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP

It really sounds more like a skin irritation from what you describe. I think changing to washable pads that are less harsh and maybe using some non scented alcohol free lotion on your breasts. A tub of Vaseline might be best! Just avoid your nipples or wipe it off them before LO latches. I hope that you find something that helps!

Thanx sooo much darling me I will try your suggestions. It is outside that I feel the itch n no pain/discomfort while nursing.

i had very itchy nipples when i had thrush, but it was definately the nipple and not the boob iyswim! If it is right around the edge of nipple it might be thrush but i wouldnt have thought it would be any further away.

I never had the pain that DarlingMe describes- 10 mins after let down - though this is a common symptom. The problem with thrush is that it can be hard to diagnose - some people get some symptoms, some others and most symptoms can be attributed to something else. Unless you have obvious white patches in los mouth then it can be difficult to diagnose. For example red patches can be a sign of a blocked duct, but again I wouldnt have thought it would be itchy. Not certain though.

Clicking while feeding is a symptom of thrush. Baby lets go repeatedly as it can hurt their mouths. It can also be a sign of a bad latch, or tongue tie - you might want to rule these out. Neither would cause the itching you describe though.

If I was you I would try to get someone to check your latch is correct, change your breast pads - try a different brand, go topless as much as possibe - this will help if it is thrush or if it is your breast pads irritating, gets some acidophilus (i cannot stress how good this stuff is at fighting thrush!). If you still have suspicions that it is thrush, then get some miconazole or go to the docs - you will want to treat it asap to stop it getting into your ducts.

Good luck :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->