Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Nope, lips should be flared out. You will get a more comfortable latch and baby will get better suction to nurse more efficiently. Try making sure LOs mouth is wide open, hold your breast about an inch back from the aereola and smush it like a hamburger pulling back a bit, this will kind of pop ur nipple out & make a better surface for latching, you can let to after u hear a few swallows. There are videos of hamburger hold and flared lips on YouTube if u need to see a visual. Some babies need a little help!

Definately flared fishie lips for a correct latch. It works when younger without the flaring but as they get older it is more painful if they arent flared. You can flip the lip out with your finger if u need to. With some practice you can do the hamburger hold & lip flip all in one smooth motion!

From what I understand, they should be folded in, I've never heard of fish lips being a correct latch.

fish lips is a correct latch; if your baby's mouth doesn't automatically go like that you can very gently pull their top and bottom lip out when they are latched on (takes practice but works!) This article has a really good pic

https://www.examiner.com/stay-at-ho...es-improper-latch-low-milk-supply-here-s-help

xx

My lactation consultant and local bfing support councillor must be full of sh*t :haha:
I prefer her latch with lips in tbh. But each to their own :thumbup:

Ah thank you, I will make sure his lips are flared, today I noticed that sometimes they are and sometimes they're not, can't always get it right still :(

He seems to hate my left nipple!! He keeps on pulling off and biting it at the same time which is making it really sore, can't work out why though?

Ah thank you, I will make sure his lips are flared, today I noticed that sometimes they are and sometimes they're not, can't always get it right still :(

He seems to hate my left nipple!! He keeps on pulling off and biting it at the same time which is making it really sore, can't work out why though?

Sometimes its the flow is faster from that side; them clamping down and tugging is their way of trying to slow it down a bit xx

My lactation consultant and local bfing support councillor must be full of sh*t :haha:
I prefer her latch with lips in tbh. But each to their own :thumbup:

Glad it is working for you now. Just an FYI as your LO gets a little bigger you may notice that the lips in is more painful. The habit is easier to break the younger they are. Hopefully it isn't an issue in the future. Sounds like things are going great though!

Hi girls, wonder if you could help me with a wee feeding problem I'm having with my LO.

He's been exclusively breastfed since birth with no problems at all so far apart from occasional thrashing about & pulling when he needs to do a poo.

Over the last couple of weeks he's been doing a weird thing when he's feeding, he feeds & sucks consistently for the first 5-10 minutes, then starts to pull off. He obviously wants back on cause his mouth is open & his tongue out but as soon as he latches on he pulls off again with his back arched & then he cries. I thought at first that he might just be finished on that side but if I give my boob a squeeze there's still milk spurting out so I know that's not the problem. I feel like I have to hold his head in & even then he only takes a few sucks before he starts the whole pulling off/crying thing again.

If I switch him to the other side he does the exact same thing, sucks for 5-10 mins then pulls off cries again. I end up switching sides several times during the feed just to make sure he's taking enough milk.

The thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, sometimes seversl days can pass when he doesn't so it at all, then there's days like today when he's done it for his past 3 feeds.

I thought it might be silent reflux or wind? The back arching makes me think he's probably in a bit of pain or discomfort. I've had him on infacol but I thought I might stop it & see how he is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sounds like wind. I would try propping him up on your shoulder and either patting or rubbing his back between breasts :)

It sounds like wind to me; although being able to squirt out milk from either side doesn't necessarily mean your baby isn't finished on that side or they haven't taken what they want-your boobs are never empty and as long as your baby's nappies are full of nice yellowy poo and lots of wees then it may well be they are just done with that side for now and want the other side. xx

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice please?

My LO is 12 days old and our BF started really well, but over the last week he has become really fussy on the boob. He latches on and off a lot and pulls at my nipple during every feed. Also, after a feed, whether he has winded or not, he bcomes quite fretful when I try to lay him down and he is bringing back some milk, gasping, squirming etc. This is obviously effecting his sleep (and mine) quite lot so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for any advice.

Hi, hon! :wave:

Sounds like a case of reflux, which is super common in infants. It takes a bit of time for their stomach muscles to develop properly enough to keep everything down. The first line of defense is to keep him upright for 10-20 minutes after a feed. You can also elevate the head end of his sleeping surface and that will help.

There are more ways to treat it, but I don't have a great deal of experience with it. However, loads of ladies on here do. I'm sure they will elaborate for you!

i don't have a lot of experience with reflux either... but if the spit up is severe enough there are med's the baby can take.

hi :wave:

does anyone have experience with tongue tie and/or a high palette?

With the reflux issue, the only thing that made a big difference was eliminating soy & dairy from my diet. Just something else to keep in mind if you are noticing excessive gas, green mucousy stools, eczema, sinus congestion, back arching & turning head to the right simultaneously.

Hiya.. back again!

Does anyone have any tips for increasing supply?

LO has been fussing/ screaming about 5 minutes into feeding (after letdown) for about 2 weeks. Eventually she was just crying straight away so I started expressing and trying her at the breast once per day. I wasn't able to get enough out to feed her so had to top up with formula. The past 24 hours she's been a bit calmer when feeding and feeding till I'm 'empty' - she's not patient enough to wait for more so she's still having the odd half an oz of formula. Anyone have any ideas for how to up it? I'm already starting to drink whole milk, eat more fatty foods, drink more water and eating plenty of porridge x

I think you just need to give it time at this point and feed at every peep :). I fed Alex all the time.

Thanks for the advice I'll have a look into reflux and I'll try holding him for a while before putting him back down again. :thumbup:

He's feeding every hour and a half during the night so by the time he's fed for 15-20 minutes, then I've held him and settled him down again to sleep I'm not sure they'll be any time for me to sleep though! :dohh:

as long as you feed LO lots it will increase supply as Ozzieshunni said, I feed completly on demand personally. My LO would constantly feed and was very rarely off the breast at your LOs age , by feeding it increases milk. You could do skin to skin as well. It does get easier.

Jenni, Nurse nurse nurse! Also if you want to look into it, try fenugreek and blessed thistle.

Thanks for the advice I'll have a look into reflux and I'll try holding him for a while before putting him back down again. :thumbup:

He's feeding every hour and a half during the night so by the time he's fed for 15-20 minutes, then I've held him and settled him down again to sleep I'm not sure they'll be any time for me to sleep though! :dohh:

I had to do this with O when she was a newborn for several months...I had to sit up with her after each feeding for 15-20 minutes...then after a month or so of that I shortened it to 10 minutes and she did okay...then after a while with that I shortened it to 5 minutes. Eventually we were able to nurse lying down and haven't looked back :) it is a pain but it's temporary, they do outgrow it...I'd say for O it started getting better around 3 months or so. Best of luck! Oh, onions were a big set off for O and her reflux..that and chocolate...I didn't have a decent amount of chocolate for 5 months after she was born, it was devastating! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->