Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Hi girls, wonder if you could help me with a wee feeding problem I'm having with my LO.

He's been exclusively breastfed since birth with no problems at all so far apart from occasional thrashing about & pulling when he needs to do a poo.

Over the last couple of weeks he's been doing a weird thing when he's feeding, he feeds & sucks consistently for the first 5-10 minutes, then starts to pull off. He obviously wants back on cause his mouth is open & his tongue out but as soon as he latches on he pulls off again with his back arched & then he cries. I thought at first that he might just be finished on that side but if I give my boob a squeeze there's still milk spurting out so I know that's not the problem. I feel like I have to hold his head in & even then he only takes a few sucks before he starts the whole pulling off/crying thing again.

If I switch him to the other side he does the exact same thing, sucks for 5-10 mins then pulls off cries again. I end up switching sides several times during the feed just to make sure he's taking enough milk.

The thing is, he doesn't do it all the time, sometimes seversl days can pass when he doesn't so it at all, then there's days like today when he's done it for his past 3 feeds.

I thought it might be silent reflux or wind? The back arching makes me think he's probably in a bit of pain or discomfort. I've had him on infacol but I thought I might stop it & see how he is.

Thanks in advance for any help!

The foremilk is more watery than the rich hindmilk... the foremilk satisfies that instant hunger, so sometimes they like to switch back and forth... get all the foremilk on one side, want more foremilk from the other side, get sick of the foremilk and want to go back to the first side where the hindmilk is closer etc... so don't worry about switching too many times, it may just be what they need.
(and the foremilk/hindmilk thing is not a sudden switch, its a gradual change in the watery/fatty nature of the milk)
It may not be a sign that anything is wrong at all

hi :wave:

does anyone have experience with tongue tie and/or a high palette?

I've dealt with tongue tie- happy to help in any way I can?

Hi Lisa,

My son had a frenectomy (spelling?) last week and he seems like he doesn't even know where the boob is now. my pain (the reason why we did it) is almost gone, which is amazing. but i guess i didn't realize that he would really need a while to re-adjust. everyone (dr. LC etc) made it sound like an instant thing before i did it but now they are saying it can take time. anyway, he is doing a lot better than he was when i wrote the post. basically, i was wondering others experiences with that procedure. did it take a while for LO to adjust (i am sure age has a lot to do this it too), did it fix the problems. was LO fussy after the procedure? we are a week out and he has turned into a fussy baby when we was mostly happy before (last 3 days). sorry for rambling!!!

hmmm, no fussing here other than when the procedure was done. It was instantly 'better' but took a while for him to learn how to use his tongue right.. so it was a little hit-or-miss for a bit until he settled into a feeding style that did not cause me pain.
We still had a lip-tie that we had to fix before I was total comfortable (it wasn't unbearable but it was still very uncomfortable).

Could something else be causing the fussing?

Really good little link for people who are new to breastfeeding - explains what different baby behaviours mean!

https://www.pamf.org/children/newborns/feeding/understanding.html

We had tt snipped 4w ago and no improvement. Snipped again two days ago and v fussy since. Wants to feed but doesn't want the boob etc. hopefully it'll pass and get back to how it was at least. I'm seeing a cranial osteo who seems to think she can help.

Mine? Isn't bleeding any more but obviously seems sore. Was a ton of blood :( much different from at 3w when he didn't even notice it

hmm, wonder if your guy actually needed a stitch or so... there was a lot of bleeding with my guy's tongue clip but it stopped after the first feeding. Might be on the road to feeling better though if its no longer bleeding.

It stopped after a few mins, just compared to the first snip where there was literally no blood it was a bit of a shock. Weird white lump under tongue now but I guess that's just the cut edge healing.

All this and hes not even any different.... Just grumpier.

yeah the white is healing from what I remember... huh.. sorry, wish I could help!

I would like to be assigned to a champion.

My name is lauren i am 21 and this is my 2nd child. With the first i didnt breast feed because i was on depression medicine. I am now off all medicine and am trying to breast feed my 1 week old daughter.For the most part everything is going good.Latching hurts at first but goes away in a minute or so. Ive been using nipple creme when ever i can and trying to drink as much water as possible. Im confused on what i need to or should be eating. And how long you breast feed for. When to start weeing.

My name is lauren i am 21 and this is my 2nd child. With the first i didnt breast feed because i was on depression medicine. I am now off all medicine and am trying to breast feed my 1 week old daughter.For the most part everything is going good.Latching hurts at first but goes away in a minute or so. Ive been using nipple creme when ever i can and trying to drink as much water as possible. Im confused on what i need to or should be eating. And how long you breast feed for. When to start weeing.

Breast feed on-demand for as long as they want.
You should eat a reasonable, healthy diet... or if all else fails just eat whenever you can with a newborn, lol. Don't worry about weight gain/loss just yet... get through the first 6 weeks (or whenever breastfeeding gets esier) before stressing about losing the baby weight.
Eating oatmeal (not-instant) can help boost supply if you need a little help, but the best thing for your supply is to nurse on demand.
There will be evenings or days where all she wants to do is nurse, set yourself up with a movie and just surrender to it if you can (having an older child makes this harder... you might try nursing in a sling so you are able to be mobile with your other child as needed).

There are depression meds that are compatible with breastfeeding. Zoloft seems to be the most popular, so don't let that derail your BFing plans if you need it. :hugs:

Most importantly, trust your body and the only thing you need to worry about if she's getting 'enough' is if she is not having at least 5-6 wet diapers a day.

you should eat healthily and drink a lot! feed on demand. for the 1st 6wks it will be feeding all the time but then it should get easier. rest as much as you can (easier said than done i know!!!)

hmmm, no fussing here other than when the procedure was done. It was instantly 'better' but took a while for him to learn how to use his tongue right.. so it was a little hit-or-miss for a bit until he settled into a feeding style that did not cause me pain.
We still had a lip-tie that we had to fix before I was total comfortable (it wasn't unbearable but it was still very uncomfortable).

Could something else be causing the fussing?

thanks lisa.

at least he is learning again where the boob was. i was really second guessing my decision to do the clipping but i think he is learning now (i was too impatient).

about the fussing, i have no idea. i know he is still healing bc the dentist checked him yesterday and pushed too hard and tons of blood came out of the healing wound (broke my freaking heart). so i really hope that is it and i don't have a colicky baby (bc that can start about now!)

can i ask how you do your montage in your signature? which software do you use? i want to do something with my bump pics but don't know what software i can use or if there is something i can download for free...

It stopped after a few mins, just compared to the first snip where there was literally no blood it was a bit of a shock. Weird white lump under tongue now but I guess that's just the cut edge healing.

All this and hes not even any different.... Just grumpier.

cranberry, do you have a journal?

thanks lisa.

at least he is learning again where the boob was. i was really second guessing my decision to do the clipping but i think he is learning now (i was too impatient).

about the fussing, i have no idea. i know he is still healing bc the dentist checked him yesterday and pushed too hard and tons of blood came out of the healing wound (broke my freaking heart). so i really hope that is it and i don't have a colicky baby (bc that can start about now!)

can i ask how you do your montage in your signature? which software do you use? i want to do something with my bump pics but don't know what software i can use or if there is something i can download for free...

I know it took a lot longer (~week) for the lip-tie to heal and he was kind of grumpy when that was healing... maybe give it some time and just hope?

The montage was done on photobucket where I upload my pictures for sharing, I just did a photocollage using their tool :)

Congratulations :)
You have already been given great advice, to feed on demand, eat regularly, drink plenty (water, juice, squash), etc.
Babies typically feed frequently, it is not a sign of low milk so don't worry, just go with it, it will get easier.
Weaning is a personal choice but a year is a great minimum age as you can bypass formula and sterilising bottles etc.
With regards to diet it may be wise to restrict dairy and caffeine and of course alcohol. Some babies get upset tummies with dairy but not all, if baby is uncomfortable/gassy it could be down to diet. But on the whole a normal balanced diet is good.

I only fed my second (for different reasons), if you ever want to PM for support/questions please feel free. Alternatively there are many helpful and knowledgeable ladies here :)

Thank you guys for the tips and advice. We are trying our best but determined to make this work :)

With latching on is it supposed to hurt when they first latch on? Im doing the cross cradle hold with the boppy on my lap for support. I try to make sure her head is turned to the side a bit,and once she feeds it doesnt hurt,but the first latch feels like someone clamped my nipple.

Yea that can be normal.. Especially cause she's still only a week old and your nipples have to get used to it and toughen up a bit.
You will notice after a while it doesn't hurt at all nomore.

Good luck!

yeah it can be normal.. make sure she is actually on her side, tummy-to-tummy with you :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->