Getting in shape before getting pregnant

S

su_grad2007

Hello everyone!

So, we just passed the one year mark before we start ttc and so I sat down and started to make some goals for myself so that I'm ready when September rolls around next year.

One of those goals is to loose about 20lbs. I can definitely do that in a year, except I've had the same goal for about the last 2 years. I was wondering if anyone else wanted to join in with me in getting in shape and getting healthy before we switch over to TTC. It doesn't have to be just weight loss, it could be anything - eating more vegetables, taking vitamins. Whatever you might be doing to get healthier before you get pregnant. This week I am going to take my vitamins and start working out regularly again.

So, what are you're goals and what are you going to do this week to work on them?

Ooh, i like this thread! I'm hopefully ttc in October, but trying to get a health issue under control first. So my goals/plans are:

1) Get meds to help my health issue (going to dr tomorrow)
2) Get more exercise (visiting a fitness class tomorrow, although I may have to hold off participating much, depending on #1)
3) Remember to take my vitamins and folic acid every day this week (I asked OH to help me remember, and might set an alarm on my phone to remind me)

I think I need to do something like that to remind me to take my prenatals. I've managed to take them most days for the past couple of weeks though, but I still forget a lot.

I put mine beside my toothbrush in the bathroom, so hopefully I won't forget!

I would like to lose another 10lbs in the next six months, on top of the 15lbs or so I've already lost. And in general to be strong and fit and have good endurance built up for getting through labour.

I'll tag along. I've been meaning to lose weight for ages. I comfort eat to stay awake and focused on planning (teacher) and put on 1.5 stone in a year! NQT year is going to be worse work level wise so if I keep going the way I am I am going to keep increasing. Planning to get married in May so need to lose it QUICK for dress fittings.

As you can see from my ticker i've not done a great job so far....

Having a wedding is a great motivator - I started boot camp 6 months before my wedding (I called it 'bridal boot camp') and that helped shift a few more pounds but more importantly toned everything up so I could rock the strapless wedding gown! One of my husband's groomsmen's wives pulled me aside at the wedding and was like "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it, it's working!!". So I can definitely recommend something like that.

iv lost 2 & 1/2 stone and now have a healthy BMI - thinknig about being preg has been a great motivator - i just need to make sure i dont go mad during my pregnancy!

Yeah me to. It's tempting to eat whatever you want when you're pregnant which is why i'm really trying to work on eating healthy before we get there. Maybe that will help me stick with healthy eating :) And I have a friend who just had a baby and she said she ate whatever she wanted, which included a lot of sweets and junk food, and she said she is really regretting it now that the baby is born.

Oh and I did really well taking my vitamins this week by putting them where I eat breakfast. And I really think they helped me avoid getting really sick this week. There is a cold going around my school and I caught it, but other than a mildly stuffy nose, I haven't felt sick at all. I really think it was because of the vitamins :)

I love this thread and would like to join although I'n not sure for how long I still need to wait. I still need to discuss this with hubby, but I am hoping that he would agree on August, September next year. It might be two more years, but in the meantime I am working on myself. I lost 40lbs already since last year October but, still need to loose a little bit more and need to tone more. I am thinking of taking vitamins, but don't know which. Do you take normal ones or prenatals?

We are already TTC but started in July and I started taking prenatals last February, just to be sure that I am in a good shape nutrient-wise :) I also quit coffee in April and started doing yoga more regularly. Good luck with your weight goals ladies! You can definitely do this!

I am trying to lose weight not only to be healthy for my future pregnancy, but to have a bmi of 30 or below so I can pay less for my tubal reversal and so I can be healthier for it as well. What I am doing to get to my goal is working out on my gazelle an hour for three days then one day off I am also doing a 30 day squat and crunches challange and planing just to keep adding more on instead of quitting on the 30th day oh and I am also using sensa as well. I have lost 10 lb. 8 oz. in three and a half weeks.

I am trying to lose weight not only to be healthy for my future pregnancy, but to have a bmi of 30 or below so I can pay less for my tubal reversal and so I can be healthier for it as well. What I am doing to get to my goal is working out on my gazelle an hour for three days then one day off I am also doing a 30 day squat and crunches challange and planing just to keep adding more on instead of quitting on the 30th day oh and I am also using sensa as well. I have lost 10 lb. 8 oz. in three and a half weeks.

That is great! I used to have a gazelle, it is a great workout :)

I actually did really well this week. I made a chart with the things I wanted to do each week (vitamins, exercise, eating healthy) and every day I checked off what I did. I actually lost a couple lbs this week :) It was nice to feel like I am accomplishing something and getting closer to actually being in a position to ttc. I think next week I am going to add in training/walking my dogs. They need some work before ttc also :)

Now, I just need to make it through the weekend without eating too much junk food and undoing everything I did this week.

Just ate a chocolate bar. :(

I totally did that yesterday and I felt really bad about it. While I actually didn't eat a chocolate bar, i ate like half a block of cheese I had in the fridge (it's my go to food when I am stressed).

I felt so bad about it and was beating myself up so much I made myself sit down and write down the things I had done well this week until I convinced myself that it was just a slip up and instead of feeling guilty I would be better to learn from it, and get back on track.

It was really helpful actually so I thought i would share.

Oooh can I join the thread?? I need somewhere like this to keep me going- I do not have strong will power!!! I have a membership at the local leisure centre but I recently got super lazy and tend to snack too much, especially when work has been hard. I am on my 10th day of being back on the wagon of going to the gym and have lost 3.6lbs so far :D I have a healthy BMI of 24.3 but still feel quite frumpy and not very confident, I would like to get down to 10 stone.

1 stone 10 lbs to go!

OK. So, I think my goal this week is really just to make sure I eat healthy and get enough sleep, and continue to take my vitamins. It's a very busy week so I'm not sure how much exercising will happen. I did lose 2 lbs last week which was very happy :)

Anyone else have any goals for this week?

I like the idea of checking off daily goals!! I'm very reward-motivated, so maybe I can make myself a sticker chart. :haha:

My daily goals would be:
- prenatal vitamins
- exercise, min 30 minutes, walking doesn't count
- breakfast!
- make a good decision at lunch
- drink water or tea when having a sugar craving
- make a good decision at dinner.

That sounds like a lot!

Progress so far today!

- prenatal vitamins :bunny:
- exercise, min 30 minutes, walking doesn't count :bunny:
- breakfast! :bunny:
- make a good decision at lunch :bunny:
- drink water or tea when having a sugar craving
- make a good decision at dinner.

I contemplated posting in here for awhile, but never have. I definitely want to get in better shape before TTC. Also, if I develop good habits now, it will make it easier to take the baby weight off after-the-fact. I think I've gained about 7-10 pounds since we got married last October. Working night shift also hasn't helped. :(
I guess I don't have too terribly much to lose... my BMI is right on the verge of being overweight... if I could lose that 10, that would be an awesome start. I was sooo good about cardio/lifting-weights and mostly ok with my eating. (Could have been a lot better. Our eating habits need a lot of work.)
If I could just get in the routine again, but it's sooo hard now with a hectic work/school/studying schedule. I'm going to start by walking my dog... as soon as I get off of here... :) And I'd like to do that for 30 minutes 5 times a week... Ok, maybe 3 and build from there... I'm just so busy and so tired!!
On most weekdays days, I work 11pm-7:30am, then intern from 8-12. I have lunch at home with hubby... get settled maybe 1:30, sleep until 8:30 or 9 and then wake up and do it all again! But I've GOT to do something. I'm a size 10 pants... well on my way to a size 12 if I don't get ahold of myself... pants are feeling a little snug lately, too. :/
I WILL get an exercise routine down and work my way up from there.
I WILL eat smaller portions.
It's hard!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"