Girlfriend refused over the counter medicines...

DarranBartley

Reaction score
My girlfriend went into Boots today to buy some external cystitis medication, the sales lady went to get her the stuff, then asked if she was already taking any other medication or if there was any reason not to take the treatment, to which she replied that she was pregnant, which is blatantly obvious really as she's 26 weeks and showing a bump, she point blank refused to sell her the medicine and told her to get a prescription from her doctor.

So she decided to phone her midwife to ask whether it was safe to take the medicine, which she said it was and that I should send someone else to buy it, as they simply won't sell it to anyone who is pregnant.

Is it just me or isn't this just the same as sending someone legal in to a shop to buy someone underage cigarettes or alcohol? she finds it quite frustrating, understandably so, as she is 30 years old and isn't going to take something that would harm the baby, especially when she's been told by your midwife that it's perfectly safe to use.

Sorry for the rant, and we get that they can't just sell you things willy nilly with the risks of pregnancy and medication, in fact it's probably best to some extent they're so careful, but sometimes it just seems they are a little too much to the dot?

They're probably just scared of being sued if anything were to happen. Most medicines say 'contact your dr before taking' so they're probably being extra cautious. I do agree, it is too much sometimes though, im sure the pharmacist should've known if she could've used it or not though. Has she tried cranberry juice/tablets rather than medication? That always clears cystitis for me and is natural x

the sales lady did the correct thing; they are not medically trained and cannot therefore take responsibility for the consequences.

Urine infections in pregnant women can be dangerous; infection is one of the commenest causes of maternal death, premature labour and still birth.

Over the counter sachet for cystitis will not kill a urine infection and if the infection spreads to the kidneys this can be a serious problem.

how would you feel if your OH was given over the counter medication, then went on to develop a serious infection which put her and your baby at risk????

In my opinion, the midwife was also in the wrong to tell your OH to get OTC medication, they should know that 'cystitis' in pregnnacy should be assessed by a doctor

that's why boots medicine counters have 'on the dot' policies

hope you OH gets sorted
x

I agree with MrsRH.

I had it several times in the first half of pregnancy, and it should be treated with caution - the MW wasn't doing as she should.

This pisses me off :grr: With thrush cream (Sorry) pretty much EVERY pregnant woman gets it and you are told to use it etc etc. I get refused at the chemist :hissy:

On the positive get my DH to buy it from tescos and on the self scanner comes up as 30p :haha: so worked well for me that time.

The pharmacist has a professional responsibility to ensure that the person has sought medical advice and been correctly diagnosed before self prescribing and unfortunately this means it's a pita getting some OTC meds. It's not like buying cigs or 'alcohol because those aren't medications, and it's unlikely to bring litigation from the consumer to the door of the shop assistant, or lose them their career.
I asked my mum to buy me canesten combi yesterday and warned her not to tell them I was pregnant if she had to get it at the counter in case they refused to sell it. I was too itchy and sore to wait for a docs prescription for something I knew was safe to use if applied properly when I knew 100% that it was a yeast infection. I understand why they don't want women inserting pessaries while pregnant without medical advice or not seeking medical advice for heavy, smelly or itchy discharge which may be a sign of something more sinister, just because there is a cream you can buy otc if you believe it to be thrush.

Yeah I also got refused creams etc when I was pregnant. I think its because with medications in pregnancy its up to the doctor to decide whether the benefits of taking a certain medication while pregnant outweigh the risks to the baby, and also to make sure that there is nothing more sinister going on that needs investigating. When I was pregnant I suffered recurrent infections and it was quite important that the doctor knew everything about what was going on so that he could keep an eye on the situation (I ended up being referred to hospital). Personally I think your partners midwife was wrong to say that, your partner should really get seen by a doctor. A quick sample of her urine will enable him to check if it is anything more serious.

I suggest she sees a doctor instead - i was convinced i had thrush when in fact it was premature labour, the cream remains in the cupboard

i suggest she see the doctor anyway, plus she will get it free if she is pregnant! its a lot of hassle i know but better safe than sorry!

I have cystitis and they done the same to me. I was raging! I cant get to mu doc or wait for her to send crap off for testing but they said they arnt allowed to in case its an infection and needs to be treated with antibiotics, I am suffering now for more than 2 weeks on and off, I know what it is and what it isnt they just wont give me anything. And cranberry jiuse makes it worse I was told here so stay away from that as thats what i am on and it wont go away. I got stuff last time when I was preg with William ok for it to without having to go down there and produce samples and wait days on a result and by that time it probably would have been gone.

always see doc anyway but I can see your anger here.

I got given a thrih pessary by the MW who did my sweep. Never got to use it since I gave birth the same day but if she goes to the doctor they can get her some free which is much better than going through the hassle and having to pay for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->