Girls names...opinions please

Flutterby1982

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to go for Mollie (will be Mollie May or Mollie Mae) but I am already not keen that it might get shortened to Mols or my other daughter grace will start getting called gracie :/

Other options were Freya and Mia, although I'm not sure how well they go with grace...I feel Mollie does because they are both older names and quite girly...what do you think?

p.s. Freya and Mia would probs have Rose as the second name x

Its my opinion that the sibset naming is silly. Names don't have to match.

If you choose Freya or Mia over Mollie either will go great with Grace because they are sisters.

Out of the three I like Mia best.

You are right, at some point someone in "Molly or Mollie's" life will call her Mols. It happens and it cant be stopped and maybe she wont mind. As a child though you as momma bear can be there to prevent it.

I like Molly. I'm not sure about May or Mae though. I think 2 m's together sounds odd.

I really love Molly (Mollie) its adorable!! If you are worried about someone calling her that, don't. Chances are yes she will be called Mols, but you can always correct the people and say "no it is Molly (Mollie)"

Molly in itself is a nickname of Margaret or Mary

why dont you pick a longer name that shortens to Molly or Mia

Molly makes me think of Milly-Molly-Mandy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milly-Molly-Mandy

Or some other children's character. It's a pet or dolly name to me, or a nickname of Margaret.

Either that, or molly-coddling. And yes, it would be shortened to Mols.

Freya is a fab name. I vote Freya.

I really love Molly (Mollie) its adorable!! If you are worried about someone calling her that, don't. Chances are yes she will be called Mols, but you can always correct the people and say "no it is Molly (Mollie)"

Sorry, but if a parent corrected me about a child's name because I'd called them by a nickname, I'd think they were being stuck-up. You can't control how people think of your child's name. Nicknames and shortenings are simply inevitable. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive. I work in a school, and trust me, after having to say the child's name 50 times a day it comes out in variations the parents probably never even thought of. We have Charlies who have become Barleys, Jonathans who are Jojos, Harriets who are Hats...thankfully all the parents are very accepting and have a sense of humour about it!

If you don't like even the most obvious shortening of the name, don't do it.

That's happened to me a few times, I have called kids by a nickname/shortened version, but the parents/guardian have corrected me and never once did I think they were stuck up. Its someones name, and if you get corrected its out of respect to call them their proper name. I'm not saying its annoying or inconvenient sometimes, cause it is, but I think its just respectful to call the person by their actual name...unless they say otherwise. I work with a ton of names all day too and it does get exhausting, but its part of my job.

Also my name is Rebecca, and honestly I have never ever been called Becky or Becca or Becs or any other variation or Rebecca...I think its because I've always been introduced as Rebecca and no one ever shortened it.

I suppose our workplaces all have different cultures and we grow up in different cultures. Where I came from and where I work you call people what comes to mind unless the person themselves tells you they don't like it. A parent cannot control what others call their child without seeming like a total stickler, especially if you're being told "no" to the most common nickname.

You call your child a name with the understanding that it may get shortened somehow. I've also known Rebeccas and every single one of them has had their name shortened and most go by that nickname. I honestly think you're a rare case!

It's also different with children. Children are adorable, nicknames come naturally. Mols would slip off the tongue as an affectionate name and being told "no, it's Molly" would really feel like a bit of a slap!

In my opinion siblings names don't have to "go with" each other, just name your child what you like don't worry about it going with the other child's name, they are individuals.

I like MollieI like Freya, they are both lovely.
My son's friends call him Clarky because of his surname and my OH hates it. I've got so used to it now but it is annoying!!

I have a Jillian that is called Jillian or Jilly. Never Jill. She's 14 yrs old and we've never had an issue. We introduced her as Jillian, as does she with herself now. I don't think a nick name is a given in every situation.

That said, Mollie is cute but already seems like a nick name to me as well, I like to think of the given names as an adult and wonder if they would sound right as a lawyer or doctor or something like that. I LOVE Mia and Freya!

A parent cannot control what others call their child without seeming like a total stickler, especially if you're being told "no" to the most common nickname.

It's also different with children. Children are adorable, nicknames come naturally. Mols would slip off the tongue as an affectionate name and being told "no, it's Molly" would really feel like a bit of a slap!

Firstly, my name is Sophie and my mum always used to correct people who called me Soph. I HATED it!!! It was soooooo embarassing, especially since I didn't mind it myself. I actually choose to go by Soph now.

Secondly, I work in a school too and you just can't help shortening names at times. Even if you have been asked not to occasionally it does just slip off the tounge in affection. Nothing you can do about that.

If you don't like nicknames you may have to just pick a name that is difficult to shorten, but you will have to accept that someone, somewhere will find a way. My dd is Amelia, which we shorten to Mia and she still gets Mimi and all sorts.

Of the three names I like Mia, but I'm a bit biased :winkwink:

I think if you really love the name Molly/Mollie, I wouldn't let the fact that people will shorten it get in the way. If you're not going to shorten it, and you and your OH are the ones who will say it the most... it's rare that you'll hear other people say it.

I can reiterate stories that other's have said. My name is Kathryn, I have always introduced myself as 'Kathryn' and when people ask what to call me for short, I just tell them that I prefer 'Kathryn', after all, that is my name! :)
The worst thing is when people spell it wrong, even when they've asked how to spell it, as if I've made some kind of spelling mistake with my own name :dohh:

The worst thing is when people spell it wrong, even when they've asked how to spell it, as if I've made some kind of spelling mistake with my own name :dohh:

I get this too, sometimes wonder why I waste my breath lol

they often change the R to P or A to I or SHA to CIA lol or add an extra R

sometimes they do all and I end up as Pitricia (a completely different name) they also constantly feel the need to ask (in person) if im English despite the fact I very clearly am :dohh:

Freya is a lovely name, it's my fav from your choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->