Giving kids toy guns / dollies and prams.

Im not sure about guns, i dont like the thought of them.
But luckily neither of my children have showed an interest.
However they do have a foam sword each, which they play with.

My daughter has a pram and dolls...and my son loves them! :lol:

I wouldnt give my son a toy gun, he has only got cars,bikes, tractors and anything with wheels on it he likes. I prefer he didnt understand what a gun was. Few kids in my old estate used to shot people with pellet guns and its unnerving being aimed at from your neighbours garden with what you hope isnt a pelet gun but a toy one. Guns are not kids toys.

I cant answer the pram one yet, I didnt do prams and dolls when I was young I loved teddies instead. Never wanted to play mum as I probably didnt know what mums where like then as I never seen my own play mum. I dont think i would buy a pram but I dont have a girl so dont know. I hope she would play with all sorts though not just prams , I preferred my brothers stuff more than my own.

I don't like the idea of gender stereotyping my kids, so I try to dress my girl in colours other than pink. She has pink things, yes, but most of her things are other colours, incl blue.

In terms of toys, she can play with whatever she likes. I don't think a child playing with a gun is bad; it's just like a child playing with a bow and arrow. But when the child doesnt' see the difference in truth and pretend; that's the problem. When I was a kid, we played cops and robbers etc, with guns etc; doesn't mean we turned into thieves and murderers. If my child starts playing with a toy gun, I will just make sure they don't get carried away and actually hurt their sibling/friend. As long as they understand that it's just a game, and that guns are bad, then I honestly don't have a problem with it :shrug:

And in regards to prams and dolls; I don't care TBH. If I have a boy and he wants to play with his sister's pram and doll; let him. It doesn't mean he's a sissy or that he's gay. And if he is, so what? TBH it could do them the world of good and teach them how to nurture and be gentle with creatures that are smaller than them :thumbup:

I won't regulate what my kids play at and with outside the home BUT in my house I do not allow toys that have no purpose but to play at violence. Therefore guns and swords and other toy weapons and violent video games are not permitted. I also will not let other children play with them in my house, toys like that are left at the front door. I do make an exception for bows and arrows as they have a purpose other than violence (hunting)
JMO

River doesnt have any dolls/prams as at the minute i dont really see what benefit she would get from them.

She wont have guns at any age

i dont really like toy guns i have 2 boys they had boy toys buzz spiderman ect one had a web slinger thing that looked a bit like a gun but they never had guns or swords they did make their own out what ever they had even twigs its just not something i wanted to encourage having said that they had sisters so also played with dolls n my little pony n the girls played with spiderman n trucks if my lo want trucks n cars she can have them that dosent bother me in the slightest

Emma has 2 baby dolls and we figure that it will teach about feelings as when it cries it is sad, a lugh is happy etc. She has no guns, but OH has airguns that she has seen and seen him fire adn she thinks it is the best thing ever. But then she thinks eating pens is a good idea at the moment

I used to never want my son to play with toy guns. But, he did get a few as presents, and they were never a big deal. He has a star wars sword too...my daughter has dolls, but mostly plays with barbies and mermaids. I don't try to mould my children...if they like something and want it...I buy it, within reason. They choose, not me.

My 5 year old wasnt interested in babies and prams etc until she started pre-school at 3 however my 15 month old loves pushing her toy stroller and little baby. she gives the little baby cuddles and kisses its not going to do her any harm at all.

As for guns, i work in a pre-school and boys run round with pretend guns they have made sometimes even using there hand as a gun we use to discouraged this but we were told by the 'eductaional experts' that children should be able to play what they want if they want (although we wouldnt buy guns for the setting for them to play with!)
if you tell a child NO they want to do it even more so.
imaginative play/role play is a very important part of learning its a big part of the curriculum.

Kyla has a dolls pram and two tiny dollys and a my first baby born. She loves them, and is always running around with them shouting BABA lol.

She won't be having guns though.

I don't think it has any effect on people. I used to love toy guns when I was little (probably because I wasn't allowed them) and I'm not going to stop Isaac from having toy guns. I would also let him have dolls and prams if he wanted them. I don't see the problem with them. They're just toys.

I won't get guns for my kids. I agree that a lot of kids pretend with guns anyway but at least that's using their imagination! I could do with less guns in everything really in the UK, it's not a reflection of our culture at all and is rather an americanised thing.

On dolls, like some others I think it's good for all kiddies to have dolls. Some of you will know that we're trying to find Byron one at the moment, the challenge is finding one that's no pink or baby blue! :dohh:

There's an interesting thread about gender stereotyping in the preg club if people are interesting in discussing that side of things.

I won't get guns for my kids. I agree that a lot of kids pretend with guns anyway but at least that's using their imagination! I could do with less guns in everything really in the UK, it's not a reflection of our culture at all and is rather an americanised thing.

On dolls, like some others I think it's good for all kiddies to have dolls. Some of you will know that we're trying to find Byron one at the moment, the challenge is finding one that's no pink or baby blue! :dohh:

There's an interesting thread about gender stereotyping in the preg club if people are interesting in discussing that side of things.

There's no guns in the UK?

I don't see a problem with toy guys, necessarily. I think it's a matter of seeing how your kids play with them. Are the acting out old western movies or are the acting out gang scenarios? One, in my opinion, is harmless! The other is not!

It's not like you give a kid a gun and they run around acting like a gang member or a terrorist!!! You haev to remember, those are LEARNED. If your kid isn't watching violent TV shows or videogames, or exposed to guns at home...then it is just innocent play. My son plays 'war' at school with his friends. I asked him what that was...and he said that they kill each other with their finger guns and they roll on the ground dead, but then they come alive again when someone touches their chest. There is nothing weird there. I think that if we give our children toys, we should let them use their imaginations and not try and stop that. I don't let my children watch innapropriate TV or videogames, so they haven't learned about that stuff. Like I said earlier, I NEVER EVER wanted my kids to have toy guns. But, the reality is, they get presents, and they go to friend's houses. They will be exposed to toy guns, unless they are in a bubble.

I think toy guns are harmless to be honest. I let Grace play with them. I would never restrict what Grace wants to play with. We have a house full of prams and dolls and she has hours of fun role playing with them. We're expecting a boy this time and i won't restrict what he wants to play with either, weather it's a doll or a gun xx

the only legal guns are for hunting. afaik, thats it! you cant just carry a gun in your bag for example.

the only legal guns are for hunting. afaik, thats it! you cant just carry a gun in your bag for example.

Oh, OK. I heard a rumour that police don't have guns over there, that' why I ask. In Canada (where I am from) people are not allowed to have guns either...but for hunting and they must be registered.

Oh, OK. I heard a rumour that police don't have guns over there, that' why I ask. In Canada (where I am from) people are not allowed to have guns either...but for hunting and they must be registered.

Standard police offices don't have guns here, only properly trained armed response officers. Handguns are illegal and you need a licence for a shotgun.

Standard police offices don't have guns here, only properly trained armed response officers. Handguns are illegal and you need a licence for a shotgun.

I'm from Northern Ireland, and although part of the UK, our cops carry guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->