Giving Medicine

Mumof42009

Mum Of 4 Preemie's
Reaction score
The doc has put Adi on medicine for his cold and chest, he is also on medicine for thrush but as soon as i give it him he heaves and fetchs it all back up along with any milk left in his stomach he does have reflux which he is on medication for as well which i mix with his feeds. The medicine for his thrush has to go on his tongue and theres no other way to give it and he is in pain with it does anybody have an advice please?

Could you put it in his cheek? I dunno if it hit the toungue that way?

oral thursh ? is the medicine in drops ? does he have a dummy? we use to put it straight on to his dummy xx

oooooh I have to say i used a medicine spoon with alex and she was more aware something was coming, maybe that would help? I know what you mean, I am fighting to get other meds down alex too due to relflux! I find I have to do it inbetween feeds rather than before or right after.

oooooh I have to say i used a medicine spoon with alex and she was more aware something was coming, maybe that would help? I know what you mean, I am fighting to get other meds down alex too due to relflux! I find I have to do it inbetween feeds rather than before or right after.

I think im going to have to try putting the thrush medicine on my finger and rubbing on his tongue cause just left it an hour/half since his feed and he has fetched everything back up again, i might try a spoon with his antibotics later on. These babies are too clever these days lol thanks x

Hi we have meds for Noahs chest and for thrush I dont treat both at the same time. At 1 feed I syringe the chest meds into his cheeks but very slowly. His thrush treatment I put onto the infected areas about 20 minutes after a feed.

You can also buy medicine dispenser dummies, works for us :thumbup:

https://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-medicine-dispenser/dp/B000M8GD38?_encoding=UTF8&

My LO has meds 4x a day and has done since birth. The easiest way to get it on your LO's tongue is just to drop it into his mouth, he is still so young and if you lay him so that he is almost flat on his back and put it in a drop at a time, that will be great.

I'd do it in between feeds, so about 1.5hrs after a feed but not too close before or he may still be upset. If its Nystan/Nystatin, he doesn't have to swallow it. It just has to come into contact with his tongue and the sides of his mouth.

ETA just read your post about putting it on your finger - that would be fine too, when my LO had thrush and she was in hospital (she was about 1.5 weeks old then) she would spit it out so we just put it on a finger and put it in her mouth. She got it that many times though, we ended up getting that gel stuff. She was on anti-biotics full time so she had thrush allll the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->