Giving notice to get married?

Squashy

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just a little question. How far in advance can you give notice to get married? I think in England you need to give at least 6 days notice, but how long does notice last before it expires? Also, when you give notice, do you have to know exactly what date you are getting married on? What I was thinking was we could give notice, then later arrange a registry office date for maybe a month or so after. Not much on the gov website about it.

Hi I'm not sure how far in advance you can give notice but my registry office just told us to arrange it for around 6 months before. You have a year from giving notice to actually get married before it expires. I'm not exactly sure if you have to have a date or not although I'm pretty sure she put it on the forms & had to check the venue still had a valid wedding licence for that date so I'd assume you might? xx

When we gave notice we had to have a date and venue as fees depend on this. Also if we change venue we have to pay to give notice again. It expire after 12 months and i was told it should be done 2 weeks before the wedding at least. I think alot of it depends on your council so id speak to them.

I think you have to have a date and venue and where I live you can't give notice more than a year in advance.

It is a minimum of 16 days including the day you give notice. I think you have to specify where and when you are getting married though.

It is a minimum of 16 days including the day you give notice. I think you have to specify where and when you are getting married though.

Yep this! We are giving notice next week, and even need the name of the room we are marrying in (registry office). We are doing it sooner as the council we are marrying in (not where we live) want it sorted sooner. X

Hey, thanks for the info everyone :thumbup: This makes sense and clears up my question. Better get booking things so we can give notice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->