Giving up smoking

I can highly recommend ecigs!
I was a heavy smoker for years and gave up for short periods at a time but always going back to it.

I tried the ecigs after my mc in oct 09 and I now have a 16 week DD and a smoke free life!

I use the herbal menthol zero nicotine eliquid as it's the "hand to mouth" habit I had to break not the nicotine habit.

Can't believe it has been over a year now!
I go to the gym twice a week and can do circuit training without feeling like my throat is on fire and lungs are collapsing! LOL!

Nothing else EVER worked for me, so I highly recommend them!

I liked English Toffee, 0 Nicotine, organic VG eliquid.
It's basically just vegetable glycerin and food flavoring.
Please don't discount it until you have done some research.
I had tried just about everything else....and this is the only thing that helped me.
The info on Wiki is quite limited. :flower:

I'm planning on giving up the evil weed as soon as the :witch: has arrived and departed. Part of me is quite excited by this as I feel proactive and I know I will feel a hell of a lot better for it. But part of me is dreading it. I have some rancid NicQuiTin minis :sick: left over from the last time I tried and an equally rancid inhalator but I was wondering if any of you gals have been through the giving up hell and how you did it and if you have any tips? I've given up before and did the cold turkey thing but I had motivation in that I wanted to run the Race For Life without dying. I know TTC should be a massive motivation but it's so stressful that I can't get my head around it.

Thanks in advance ladies!

I'm smoking a roll up while I'm typing this :thumbup:. God help me.

Keekeeeeeeeeeee:flower: You go for it hun:thumbup: I quit the habit 9 months ago:happydance: before quitting each time i lit up a cigarette i would be there thinking of a date to quit and that date would come and pass and then a week or so later i would be thinking the same:wacko: all this was before even considering ttc and my life was just drinking tea and having a fag!! i barely ate anything and was suffering severe depression:cry: i never dreamed i would be able to quit and stick to it, i reccommend the nicorette inhaler:thumbup: yuck at 1st but it has helped me so much and now i feel so much healthier and soo glad as im now ttc, my only advice is to take one day at a time and as each day passes you will feel so pleased with yourself, i have had some very stressful situations where i could so easily have lit one up but all i keep thinking is that i have gone this long and if i did it will all have been a waste of time!

Another thing i reccommend is to get a tin and at the end of each week put in the money you would have spent on ciggarettes:thumbup: it soon adds up and then you can treat yourself:winkwink: wishing the very best of luck hun:hugs:

I'm planning on giving up the evil weed as soon as the :witch: has arrived and departed. Part of me is quite excited by this as I feel proactive and I know I will feel a hell of a lot better for it. But part of me is dreading it. I have some rancid NicQuiTin minis :sick: left over from the last time I tried and an equally rancid inhalator but I was wondering if any of you gals have been through the giving up hell and how you did it and if you have any tips? I've given up before and did the cold turkey thing but I had motivation in that I wanted to run the Race For Life without dying. I know TTC should be a massive motivation but it's so stressful that I can't get my head around it.

Keekeeeeeeeeeee:flower: You go for it hun:thumbup: I quit the habit 9 months ago:happydance: before quitting each time i lit up a cigarette i would be there thinking of a date to quit and that date would come and pass and then a week or so later i would be thinking the same:wacko: all this was before even considering ttc and my life was just drinking tea and having a fag!! i barely ate anything and was suffering severe depression:cry: i never dreamed i would be able to quit and stick to it, i reccommend the nicorette inhaler:thumbup: yuck at 1st but it has helped me so much and now i feel so much healthier and soo glad as im now ttc, my only advice is to take one day at a time and as each day passes you will feel so pleased with yourself, i have had some very stressful situations where i could so easily have lit one up but all i keep thinking is that i have gone this long and if i did it will all have been a waste of time!

Another thing i reccommend is to get a tin and at the end of each week put in the money you would have spent on ciggarettes:thumbup: it soon adds up and then you can treat yourself:winkwink: wishing the very best of luck hun:hugs:

Lully! :hugs:
Hey honey, thanks for that. I'm all about the cup of tea and a cig :blush: and it's the first thing I do when I'm stressed. I know what you mean about making a date and then it passing and still I'm smoking and thinking about making a date.....I've only had one cig today and I'm already wishing I hadn't. I guess you need to be in the right place too and maybe I'm not just yet? But, I'm going to give a few things a go that have been mentioned here and the tin is a great idea 'cos I love treating myself :happydance:.
I think the biggest motivation is feeling healthier :thumbup:. I'm definitely up for that!

I think this is a bit like losing weight, you've got to get focusssssed. Keep going Keekee you can do it we're right behind you :hugs::hugs:

I think this is a bit like losing weight, you've got to get focusssssed. Keep going Keekee you can do it we're right behind you :hugs::hugs:

Thank you! :hugs: I do need focus! It's eluding me at the moment :shrug: but I'm going to the chemists later to see what they've got and I've ordered a free quit kit from the NHS. I'm so damn stressed though, the boobs, the TTC, the impending gyn appointment (I haven't told my OH, that's bad isn't it? But he has some family problems and is really down so I thought I'd wait until the moment was right to say I want to go and get tested...) my dad's been ill and we're broker than broke. I know, it's all excuses but good excuses at least!

But I will get there, I will!
Thanks for all your support ladies :hugs:.

Keekee...look at it like this, even with all of that crap going on, if you smoke, none of it will change. In the end, it doesn't help you deal with anything and you'll feel worse bc you did light up.

Keekee, it's hard when you've got so much other stuff going on, but Dmom's right that'll all still be there and you'll feel even more worse 'cos you're still puffing away (bit like wacking into cake innit?)....

When I think about it now I put off my TTC because my Dad was poorly, and I wanted to be with him. DH and I didn't spend an awful lot of time together over that time, I had my own business which caused big debts and we had massive rows because he said 'we couldn't afford a kid', but now time's running out big style so as Elvis once sang....it's now or never.....

Big hugs hun, you can do it xXx

Dmom, Jax and Despie :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Thank you girls, you're so wonderful and wise and lovely and supportive :cry: <---good crying.
I just filled in my pre gyn appointment questionnaire and in the 'do you smoke' section I put 'I have recently given up'. So now I have to give up. Otherwise I'm a big fat liar and it's down in black and white :thumbup:.

And you're spot on about smoking not helping stress. I remember the days when I used to go for a run when I was stressed out. So much better!

I tried all year to quit and finally did it 2 months ago. The lozenges are horrible. I found the patch to be most useful. Also read a book by Allen Carr which I found very helpful (google him) AND I read every web site I could find about quitting. I also used our state's quitline and had a coach AND I downloaded the Livestrong app on my iphone. Just keep trying! I just read how much smoking ages your eggs, please quit today if you want a baby at our ages! :nope: I'm so upset that I may have done irreversible damage.

I have the lozenges in my desk drawer and just got done with them...I broke out in a rash from the patches,lol.

I just filled in my pre gyn appointment questionnaire and in the 'do you smoke' section I put 'I have recently given up'. So now I have to give up. Otherwise I'm a big fat liar and it's down in black and white :thumbup:.

And you're spot on about smoking not helping stress. I remember the days when I used to go for a run when I was stressed out. So much better!

I realized after quitting that smoking actually stressed me out. Ordinary things that wouldn't bother most people made me "need" to have a smoke to "calm down". It was an excuse to smoke! Then there was the physical affects of not having one for a while...trying to cover up the smell on me...and the mental dependency was the worst! I wasn't even a heavy smoker (around a ½ pack), so I can only imagine how hard it is for heavier smokers.

I realized after quitting that smoking actually stressed me out. Ordinary things that wouldn't bother most people made me "need" to have a smoke to "calm down". It was an excuse to smoke! Then there was the physical affects of not having one for a while...trying to cover up the smell on me...and the mental dependency was the worst! I wasn't even a heavy smoker (around a ½ pack), so I can only imagine how hard it is for heavier smokers.

I'm nodding to all of this :thumbup:. I hate the fact that when I haven't had one for a while, say if I've been somewhere with non-smokers, that I feel like I'm rushing to get home to have one. And the smell...I just read a book of short stories called something like 10 stories about smoking and in one of them a woman who's a heavy smoker goes to visit her niece and has spent ages knitting her a pink jumper with white horses on it. And when she goes to get the gift out the wrapping smells badly of stale smoke so she unwraps the gift and all the horses are stained yellow :cry:. That really got to me (I have nieces and a nephew.) AND I have horrible nicotine stained fingers, which is gross. And that won't go away till I give up :nope:.

I've been smoking up to and above 20 a day, especially since I've been off work, but am trying to cut down before giving up completely. Yesterday I had 9 and so far today I've only had 2 so I'm going the right way. Can't wait for the day when I'm not having any. Then I just need to work on OH! :wacko:

I can relate to the rushing home to have one when you've been around non-smokers. It was ALL I could think about after a few hours!

It's fantastic that you're cutting back! Even one less smoke a day is a bit closer to quitting. Even if your OH doesn't quit, maybe he can not smoke around you? My DH was supposed to quit and I honestly have no idea if he has completely yet. He doesn't smoke around me and I don't smell smoke on him. He hasn't announced he quit, which I think he would if he did, but I don't want to ask him and make him feel bad if he still has a few at work or while he's running errands on weekends. I'm letting him do it at his own pace, on his terms. Hopefully he will let it go soon. :)

sounds excellent keekee, you're so determined and I'm sure you will do it:thumbup:
the cutting back strategy seems to be working for DH too.

Keekee, do you and OH smoke in your house or cars? If you do, that's the first thing that has to change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->