Giving up smoking

Oh and I forgot to mention, a lot of women say they will quit when they get a BFP and a lot do...then they pick it back up again when the LO is born and weaned...just like me.

Keep telling yourself, if you choose to smell like smoke, that's one thing, but having your child go to school smelling like smoke, is another.:hugs:

Keekee, do you and OH smoke in your house or cars? If you do, that's the first thing that has to change...

We both smoke in the house and in the car :blush:. You're right, that definitely has to change. When I give up and make OH smoke outside that will encourage him to give up now it's getting to winter :thumbup:. The car's my worst spot for smoking. I'm going to get it valeted and smelling nice.

Oh and I forgot to mention, a lot of women say they will quit when they get a BFP and a lot do...then they pick it back up again when the LO is born and weaned...just like me.

Keep telling yourself, if you choose to smell like smoke, that's one thing, but having your child go to school smelling like smoke, is another.:hugs:

:thumbup: Yeah, that's a very good point. My nieces and nephew are super anti-smoking so I hate smelling of it around them because they always point it out :blush:. Kids eh?!

Sewergrll mentioned this, but I read the Alan Carr book and it stopped me cold. 10 years of full-on smoking, read that over 3 days, never smoked again. Never even wanted to. And that was 6 years ago :thumbup:

Needless to say, I highly recommend it...

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their advice and recommendations :thumbup::hugs:.
I've now got a list of stuff to try if cutting down and stopping doesn't work but so far I've been cutting down every day. Today I'm aiming to smoke 7 (or less!) and do feel better for it and feel like I'm going in the right direction.
It's particularly good as I feel crappy and stressed and would normally say feck it and smoke loads so I'm feeling very proud of myself :happydance:.

I have been down this road two. On New Years day this year I quit for two months. Then when my 39 yr old sister died from lung cancer of all things (2 pack a day smoker) I found myself smoking. When I quit I used a hypnosis cd and it really works. I know that a lot of beating yourself up goes hand in hand with smoking while TTC. I get so dissappointed with myself everytime I light up. I bought some lozenges and I have to admit, they do satisfy the intense craving. Good luck to all of you trying to quit. Let's do this!

Keekee, you beat cancer, so you can sure as heck beat the stuffing out of smoking!

Wishing you mega-tons of luck!

Hey keekee, I want to kick it too! I am a complete closet smoker. My nasty secret. Always in the morning with my coffee. I have tried patches, nicorettes, lozengers, etc but I think I ought to do the cold turkey thing. It's the first 3 days that are the worse for me. I always quit when preg and even when I adopted my daughter. So I will be your support person and do it along with you if you would like. I am testing on November 19 th but will also start cutting down this week. We can be crabby together :). I have read Allen Carr book and I think I'll dig it out this week and start reading it again. There is one specifically for women. I remember that it was helpful in reprogramming my mind set. Ie smoking after dinner etc. Good luck and you can do it!

Hey keekee, I want to kick it too! I am a complete closet smoker. My nasty secret. Always in the morning with my coffee. I have tried patches, nicorettes, lozengers, etc but I think I ought to do the cold turkey thing. It's the first 3 days that are the worse for me. I always quit when preg and even when I adopted my daughter. So I will be your support person and do it along with you if you would like. I am testing on November 19 th but will also start cutting down this week. We can be crabby together :). I have read Allen Carr book and I think I'll dig it out this week and start reading it again. There is one specifically for women. I remember that it was helpful in reprogramming my mind set. Ie smoking after dinner etc. Good luck and you can do it!

Hey Tori :hi:
Thank you, it'll be good to have a quit buddy! I know, if you can get through the first couple of days you're well on your way. Is it true that you have to smoke all the way through the Allen Carr book? That's weird, but it's worked for a lot of people. I sent for an NHS quit kit which was good, lots of motivational stuff and it has a 'tangle' in it, like a plastic bracelet puzzle that you can fiddle with so you have something to do with your hands.
I was doing really well cutting down then ballsed it up on thursday because I got upset and stressy. So mad with myself for it but hey ho, I've decided that today is my last day as a smoker. Let's do it! It'll be good to have someone to be crabby with :haha:.

Ok that was weird, still typing and my message just vanished?! Anyways keekee I have found the book so I'll read it this weekend. Yeah you smoke while you read, I guess Allen understands the idea of a cig, coffee and a good book, lol. I quit once for over a year the year when I met Olivia . Quit for almost a week when I had pos. In September this year and of course started right back up when everything went to crap :(.
Don't be too hard on yourself for Thursday . It happens. This week will be better. I ll quit Monday . I better get reading and stocking up on stir sticks , cleaning supplies and mints. I ll have the cleanest place in the county by Wednesday and the nicest mintiest breath.

Ok that was weird, still typing and my message just vanished?! Anyways keekee I have found the book so I'll read it this weekend. Yeah you smoke while you read, I guess Allen understands the idea of a cig, coffee and a good book, lol. I quit once for over a year the year when I met Olivia . Quit for almost a week when I had pos. In September this year and of course started right back up when everything went to crap :(.
Don't be too hard on yourself for Thursday . It happens. This week will be better. I ll quit Monday . I better get reading and stocking up on stir sticks , cleaning supplies and mints. I ll have the cleanest place in the county by Wednesday and the nicest mintiest breath.

OK mints I get, but cleaning supplies and stir sticks?? What are stir sticks? Does Carr suggest you do lots of cleaning so you don't have time to smoke? Am intrigued!

Hey keekee, you are totes welcome to my old Alan Carr book if you want it?? It's just sitting there doing nothing... It should go to a good home! More than happy to post it to you (for frees obviously - I really don't need it any more, would probably just chuck it out in my next clean out anyway!) Xxxxxxxx

Hey keekee, you are totes welcome to my old Alan Carr book if you want it?? It's just sitting there doing nothing... It should go to a good home! More than happy to post it to you (for frees obviously - I really don't need it any more, would probably just chuck it out in my next clean out anyway!) Xxxxxxxx

Really? Wow, thank you! That would be great :thumbup:.
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Yep no worries, PM me your address and I'll chuck it in the mail tomorrow! :thumbup:

Morning Keekee, the stir sticks are for me to chew on something and hold. Cleaning supplies is to clean whenever I get the urge to smoke. I know myself and I ll have to keep busy. How was your first day as a non smoker?

Morning Keekee, the stir sticks are for me to chew on something and hold. Cleaning supplies is to clean whenever I get the urge to smoke. I know myself and I ll have to keep busy. How was your first day as a non smoker?

Ah! I need to do the cleaning when you get the urge to smoke thing as my house is currently a sh1t tip :blush:. That is a good idea actually, like a kind of replacement therapy. Good luck with that!
I'm a little crabby today but have been baking (healthy flapjacks!) and had a nice bath to take my mind off cigarettes. Since yesterday was my last day I smoked waaaayyy more than I would normally and it made me feel sick, so I'm not really fancying one so that's good. Got a bunch of sweets to suck on and am using my tangle. Back at work tomorrow (work for the NHS) so that will help a lot. Are you stopping tomorrow tori? Good luck!

Oh yeah Keekee, I have been smoking a lot more today than usual and it's only a little after 8 am. Tomorrow is the day. DH smokes so I have told him to go behind the barn so I don t smell it or see it. I am looking forward to be free of this nasty habit and think of the money we will save! I am going to treat myself to a pair of kick ass boots in December ! I have been eyeing them up for a week.
What is NHS?
Talk soon we can do this!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back