glasgow centre for reproductive medicine, cardonald glasgow.

Well I'm 37 and OH is 41 next month :haha:

We started trying in 2007 and nothing after 2 years, so off we went to docs. Did CD21 tests 3 times and I was ovulating OK. OH's sperm was clumping?, so we got referred to FS at Ninewells Dundee.

I had HSG tests to check tube patency and all ok, OH had another SA and he had sperm antibodies. We were referred for IVF with a year and a half waiting list. We did 2 medicated IUI's meantime and nada.

Instead of waiting we did our first IVF at Ninewells privately. OH's sperm looked good on the day and they did IVF instead of ICSI like we thought they'd do. Got 6 eggs, 3 were immature, none fertilized within 24 hours but another 24 hours past and one fertilized and we got that put back on day 2. Therefore OH's sperm and my eggs didn't like one another. They recommended ICSI for next time.

Next time was NHS and it was a better cycle, changed to menopur this time as first cycle was gonalf. I was on 300iu this time and they got 13 eggs, 9 mature, 8 fertilized. We got 2 put back and bfn. Seemingly bad luck. No frosties.

They did do some tests to appease me, Hep C, D, antibodies, I really don't know what but nothing came back as anything to worry about.

Did another private cycle at Ninewells, by this time I'd given up all hope but had to try. Same regime as last time. 8 eggs, 3 immature, 4 disintegrated?? (still no explanation for that) and 1 fertilized! That was put back again on day 2.

So I was distraught but did feel we should go somewhere else and get a second opinion. So that's why we're at GCRM.

Because of the failed implantation I'm on Clexane now until preggers test and also Prednisolone to help.

They put me on the flare protocol to try and get the most eggs possible. My AMH was 5 with NHS and GCRM retested and it was 9.9 but seemingly the tests are different for each clinic.

So for me getting 7 eggs was not bad as it should be around your AMH number. And 3 fertilising is brilliant for us, not compared to others I understand but good for us.

I just hope these three hang on in there until Friday and we can possibly put one or two back. I'm praying anyway with all my might.

So we've been at this for going on 5 years. It's a long time to want something so badly. We've had our ups and downs too. It's amazing we're still together after 20 years!

Hi SS, glad you have decided to join in. I am 36, OH 45. We have only been trying 18 months and are unexplained. On waiting list for NHS too but have decided to be pro active about the situation and pay for our treatment rather than wait it out on the NHS. It's scary how the time just passes by!

Wallie, that's brilliant news. Hopefully a good omen, right enough xx

That's great news Wallie, I'll be thinking of you over the next few days - best of luck! Thanks for the welcomes, after what seemed like a terrible position to be in, I'm now seeing the positive that we're at least moving forward at last. All you ladies inspire me with what you have already had to go through on your ttc journeys. Having only been actively ttc for 1 year and finding it so overwhelming, I completely admire the strength you all have. I'm so glad I came across this thread! x

Hi Girlies - thanx for the warm welcome x

I hope to get know you all a bit better over the next while - I can't recall all the comments so far so I'll try to elaborate about my situation abit..

As before hubby and I have been together since I was 21 he 23 - we got engaged and bought a house all within 6 months of meeting each other - world wind! But still going strong. Anyhoo pretty much after the first year we knew we wanted to start a family - so that was 10 years ago. I am now 32 and still no BFP!.

The last 10 years have been up and down - the first 5 were so consumed with work, adventures and general 'ive - got- plenty- of- time' attitude that I ignore our 'issue'. It was a front! I was in denial - i was afraid to admit I needed/ we needed help. Something I'm not too good at!. Anyway about 5/6 years ago not long after we married- the crap hit the fan!. I started to half panic attacks, lost all confidence, shund friends, quit the job i loved because I couldn't cope with the stress and generally had a mini meltdown!. The heartbreak and suppression that I needless didn't share with anyone over the years finally broke me.

The empty feeling that we feel, the amount of time I know I spend on whist full thoughts and you'd think after all these years I'd stop 'sign' spotting every month but I still do. It's a form of self torture I think! I'm doing it just now!.

Anyway we started with test's Feb 2011.

My 3 months/ day 21 blood test resulted in 2 months ovulation and 1 month borderline. I have put on a lot of weight over the last few years so obviously my weight is having an impact on my hormone levels however I haven't always been overweight whilst trying- so even though losing weight is a top priority for me I am under no illusions that this will be my miracle cure. I have had a HSG with fluid passing through both tubes with ease. Hubby's sperm test came back ok-

We had 6 months on clomid which I finished in march - I had a internal month 2 and my fertility nurse wanted to cut my dose! I was on 50mg of clomid and she Stated it was my choice whether to continue with the dose or cut it in half as my follice response was 'too good' therefore chances of multiples blah blah..needless to say I stuck to the 50mg. I did ovulate that month also. So why??!!!

I am/ we are on the NHS wait list however our predicted treatment turn is 'early 2014' at the latest - I emailed Anne McGonnal the other day for an update.

So Ive been researching for a wee while at the different options in the area/clinics and by far GCRM seems to have the best rep and results. I have looked into IUI however feel that there's obviously something not connected between my eggies and hubby's swimmers (praying my eggs are ok!) so I think we're just going to dive in do to speak with IVF/ICSI - is IVF or ICSI the better procedure? I don't care about the ethics I just want the best option! ( that sounds horrendous eh! I don't mean that badly!)

So the plan is - to get my BMI down from 31 to 21 and prepare myself as much as possible over the summer. I hope to book my consultation for November/December with a view to start in the new year.

So much of my last 6 years have been lost in my own 'brushing it under the carpet' I was unable to face up to the problem 'cuz it just hurt too bloody much to acknowledge my issue was to acknowledge the possibility of 'never'never and I couldn't do that. But I'm here now ! And on the road! Hopefully it'll be a short journey but any advice - comments - anything at all girls you can offer I'll take gratefully. I am quite open about my issue which I was never a before - severely the other way!. But enough I have a good network - they all have babies! And no matter how supportive they would want to be they can never understand that 'emptiness' I feel.

Jeezo I've wrote a book!

Thanx girls xxx

Oh my goodness, I know that feeling of emptiness! I've wanted to start a family for around 5 years now, but dh wasn't ready. I was ok with that as he is 2 years younger than me and we wanted to get married first, however there has always been something in me that told me we would have difficulty conceiving - I just knew it! At the moment the only issue seems to be with dh's extremely low sperm count, but who knows? Up until now I've only had blood tests to confirm ovulation (which seemed ok), but I suppose we'll find out soon if there is anything else wrong. I'm not sure yet obviously, but I'm assuming that we will have to go for icsi, as dh's sperm is very low, with only 10% motility. I'll take whatever advice the doctors provide.

Thanks for sharing your story poppop! I hope you have a positive result very soon x

Hi ladies,

Just to update you on me, I was at the GCRM today and got 2, 8 cell embies transferred back! :happydance:

They are wonderful down there, they are honestly so nice, professional and really want this for you. It's like a mission for them to get this to work for you.

We left one embie down there and they will try to get it to blast to freeze. Here's hoping as we've never had that before.

How is everyone else doing now?

Absolutely brilliant wallie, take it easy! And fingers crossed your 3 rd little embie gets to the stage of being frozen, and can keep jac'S snow baby company lol

How's you jac.? Have you any symptoms to report.?

Hey Bluebell,pop and sand! And anyone else reading xxxx
Afm day one of taking the norhisterone, I nearly forgot to take it this mornin! I need to set alarms on my phone.... I guess its me up next, I feel like I'm about to be pushed out of an aeroplane skydiving, and that I've changed my mind.... Of course I've not, it's now or never, just worried the cord breaks!

No going back now then Mandy. Honestly you'll sail through it. GCRM really look after you. :hugs:

Good luck!

Wallie that is great news, i have everything crossed for you. The GCRM really are great, im so glad we decided on this clinic. Now time for the 2 week wait, try and keep yourself busy, its a nightmare :).... Mandy is right your 3rd embie can keep mines company :)

Mandy everything is fine with me, i have been quite bloated but it has went down a bit apart from that and eating lots and going to the toilet more than normal I dont really have any symptoms yet. Its strange because you want the symptoms so that you believe you are pregnant, its still not sunk in for me yet. Good luck on your journey, im hoping for the best outcome. I didnt really have any side affects from the norithesterone or progesterone so hopefully you are the same.

Poppop and Sandi, thanks for sharing your story, this TTC business is a nightmare and its nice to have people who have the same experiences to speak/ vent to. I think taking the proactive approach makes things a bit less stressful.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend

Aw thanks Jacqui, hope you're enjoying every second of your new pregnancy!!

Wallie, that's great news. Really excited for your tww to be over - absolute best of luck.

Mandy - you're next! Hope you get on ok, keep us posted x

Hi girls -

Thanks again for the warm welcome-

Jacqui after 'stalking' your posts for a few weeks I was genuinally really thrilled for your bfp - strange that eh! That you can feel that for someone you don't know! However I suppose we sadly all have the unique connection - .. That will one day change to a more positive one! Jacqui I hope you have a healthy pg and it won't be too long before you have a beautiful round tummy for all to see!. You'll have to get your Christmas shopping done early! I wouldn't fancy trailing around heavily preggers!! So many new things to look forward too!. X

Wallie I feel excited for you! Best, best wishes.. Xx Keep us update and that's for posting feedback about GCRM and the day to day stuff - it really goes to reinforce my belief that they are the best ones for us in December. I'm still waiting on my info pack coming through though I wouldn't imagine it'll be too much different to what's on their web page? I find all the pricing breakdowns baffling though .. Based on what I've guesstimated I'm reckoning 8k? Does this seem about right girls? X

Hi poppop, I'm glad you feel they are right for u too. I just wish I went to them in the first place, although then I wouldn't have known how great they actually were.

I meant to add up all my costs so far but didn't want to scare myself stupid but no, not as much as 8k, I would think no more than 6k. Would that be right ladies?

Hope you're all having a great weekend. Sunny with me just up to about a minute ago.

Hi pop, that was a lovely post from you....
I paid £8 k all in but £2300 of that was additional for PGS testing so around £5k for normal ivf......it's around £3k at GRI, but they don't do PGS for private patients, that may have changed though since the beginning of the year.....
There was an article in the daily mail about ivf rates increasing in the uk for women over 40 yest, and prof Fleming from gcrm was quoted, good to see that his dept are whom the media seek out for their expertise... I'll try and add the article...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2166762/Career-women-turn-IVF-record-numbers.html

Hi Mandy & Wallie

Wallie that's good to know about the costs - if its over 8k - I think my eyes might start to water! But whatever it takes eh girlies.

Wallie can I ask in your experience what makes GCRM better in comparison is it just interpersonal skills or is it the actual 'skill' ? I see from the results they are more successf so there's no denying that.

Mandy thank you for the link I had a read and defo agree with you to use someone know how obviously speaks wonders about how the are regarded. Good for us eh.

Well girls I have just been invited for dinner - cooked by the most amazing maker of Yorkshire puds. Silverside, goose fat roasties, buttered mash, pigs in blankets follow by thick chewy banoffee crumble. Mmm yum! But I decline!!!!!! Arrrgghhh. Got a good few pounds to shift and am determined to get an optimum BMI for December. No more excuses!! X

I'm obviously hoping for a good outcome using the GCRM but honestly compared to my previous clinic, everything has been a total breeze. Maybe it is the procedures and the way they do things which have made us sail through it with no major disappointments at all. But their care and attention to everything is wonderful. They are all so nice. I suppose it's just the little things that make it so nice. Even the introducing themselves each time they see you and they remember when they've met you before which in my previous clinic, to me was downright rude. It's such a personal thing, especially the scans and they can't remember you from a couple of days or a week earlier.

At my previous clinic I had two IUI's then 3 IVF's and they were tight to even acknowledge you'd been going through so many treatments. Didn't care how this was so upsetting for you.

I'd never come out of the GCRM with a bad feeling and always felt happy and very cared and looked after. I just hope it continues and I get my :bfp: as I'm turning out to be their biggest fan!

Well done you for turning down that big sunday dinner. But a lady on a mission....

Hey Wallie

It's true - the small personal attention to detail can make all the difference. Those that have been through/ or going through fertility issues know how lonely the journey can be. We look to the professionals for the answers - they are the ones in the end that determine whether we continue to dream, hope and try!-(personally speaking) Like you said before how were you to know the previous treatment was 'not the best' until you started GCRM. I'm soo glad I've found this thread! - I have my follow up appointment with my fertility nurse and the Doc at the hospital in a few weeks. It was my intention to ask her/him for their opinion regarding the best clinic/ feedback blah blah - but to be honest Intially their advice I would have taken and will still ask for opinions however GCRM will be the one for us. Wallie what day/ point are you at? How you feeling? X .. As for being super good with dinner tonight - yeah I'm on a mission but that didn't stop me munching on a packet of brannigans last night with a glass of wine in my hand! Ach well small pleasures.. X

I would ask them to see what they say :haha

I'm at 5dpo or 2dp3dt - same thing! My official testing date is 11th July! eek...

Try and be good!

Thanks for all the well wishes ladies :), hope you are all well- Wallie how you finding the 2ww so far?

Poppop, I think my ICSI including drugs and all the tests etc was just over 5k, it is a lot of cash but definently worth it and although the GRI are cheaper and prob also really good I wanted to go to the place that would guarantee me the best success first time which is why i choose GCRM.

Mandy- Hope you are good, not long now... The article is interesting. I read all the comments obv made by morons about IVF, some people have no clue honestly.

Well back to work today, I need to try and focus as im so distracted Im surprised my boss hasnt noticed :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->