Glasgow - Southern General Hospital

Sidsapple

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm pregnant with my 1st child and I should give birth in the SGH. I have found some posts from 2010 on other websites with bad reviews so I was wondering if any of you had given birth there this year? And also, is it true that there is no choice for an epidural? I heared so many bad stories and birth going wrong that I'm a bit afraid now... :wacko:
Thanks
:) x

I can't help with your particular hospital I'm afraid, but wanted to say try not to worry too much about the bad reviews. My hospital has been in the paper so much recently with bad stories about it's maternity ward, however I just try and take it with a pinch of salt and know that although not nice to hear, these are only isolated incidents and many women are giving birth there every day without issue. The media always latch onto and sensationallise tragic stories like these which do cause more worry probably uneccesarily. My thoughts are that - well at least the hospital is probably taking more action to ensure incidents don't happen again and if it really were that much of a risk, it would have been shut down.

Im from Glasgow but now live in Edinburgh. Im a nurse and know folk who work in the southern and the royal, and also who have had their babies both.
If I was still in Glasgow, since the closure of the qn mum, I would far rather give birth in the southern. Hope that makes sense...

I know its only an opinion but try not to get worked up about it. The southern is a good hosp xx

Hi hun, I'm off to the PRMH, but a few off my friends had babies at the southern in the last year, and were pretty happy with it all! Others say the royal is rotten, but I think every hospital is pretty much the same, mostly good staff and the odd bad apple... (I work in the Nhs) they said it was fairly new and clean, and I know 2 of the girls had epidurals this year! So not sure where that story came from. :) xx

I'm due to give birth in the Southern some time this month (sooner rather than later hopefully!). So far most of the staff I've dealt with have been lovely and helpful. The hospital itself is newly refurbed and what I've seen so far is really excellent. Only thing I've noticed is that it's v.busy but I think Thr Royal is the same since the queen mum's closed.

I'll give an update once I've had my baby

I'm due to give birth in the Southern some time this month (sooner rather than later hopefully!). So far most of the staff I've dealt with have been lovely and helpful. The hospital itself is newly refurbed and what I've seen so far is really excellent. Only thing I've noticed is that it's v.busy but I think Thr Royal is the same since the queen mum's closed.

I'll give an update once I've had my baby

Good luck, for the birth :winkwink:

I think a lot depends on what you expect from the hospital

I had Anna 17 months ago at the Princess Royal and had a fantastic experience.

It was clean, quiet, food good, staff helpful and friendly.

I had a c-section so was in for 2 days.

They are all very for 'you are responsible for looking after your baby' which means you feed/change etc which is perfectly fair.

Myself and 2 of my friends had babies recently at the PRM and didnt have anything bad to say.

One friend I met last weekend had her boy at the Southern 5.5 months ago and did not have a great time, but she had a bad birth and was in for 9 days and thought staff were rather unfriendly, and one thing she didnt like was that partners could only stay something like 10am-2pm and 5-8pm.

I gave birth in the southern General two weeks ago.
The labour suite is excellent and thoroughly modern. You can view it on their tour of the southern general. The mw was fantastic and was with me throughout. I suppose it depends upon how busy they are. When i went down to the wards i was happy with the treatment i recieved. However when i was re-admitted [ my dd had jaundice] and i saw a few things that i thought were a disgrace.
The first thing was that my baby daughter, who was just a day old was not tagged immediately and had to repeat it to the mw three times before anyone put a tag on her.
The second thing which was outraggeous was the safety of babies. The ward i was in had the door open with a chair! right next to the lifts that take you out of the hospital!! Infact both wards 47 and 48 were open in this way enabling anyone to just come in!!
I cant fault the staff tbh. The mw were in the most excellent...but some of the practices like the ones mentioned were shoddy.

I think a lot depends on what you expect from the hospital

I had Anna 17 months ago at the Princess Royal and had a fantastic experience.

It was clean, quiet, food good, staff helpful and friendly.

I had a c-section so was in for 2 days.

They are all very for 'you are responsible for looking after your baby' which means you feed/change etc which is perfectly fair.

Myself and 2 of my friends had babies recently at the PRM and didnt have anything bad to say.

One friend I met last weekend had her boy at the Southern 5.5 months ago and did not have a great time, but she had a bad birth and was in for 9 days and thought staff were rather unfriendly, and one thing she didnt like was that partners could only stay something like 10am-2pm and 5-8pm.

I think the times for visiting in the Southern for partners are rubbish. They should be able to come at any time of the day up until lets say 9pm but the rules were stupid!

Lots of people had an epidural when i was there! so thats just not true! x

you should go to The Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley there great :D x

I can't advise you on the SGH, I am booked in for a section in the PRMH in 11 days time, I have had both my previous babies there and I consider it to be a fantastic hospital. I have no complaints at all with them.

I hope you have a lovely experience in the Southern, good luck x

Thanks Mumoffive. I'm french and I have always been shocked about the visiting hours in UK hospitals. In France, in any hospital, the visiting hours are from 1pm to 8pm.
Most of my antenatal appointments are in the Western Infirmary Clinic but to see the obstetrician I go to the SGH. I have been there several times now and I do know they are very busy as I always end up waiting a while compared to the WIC.
In April, I was in the PRM for a laparotomy. I stayed there a week. I never had surgery before, so having one while pregnant was scary but the staff was brilliant! I just hope that I will have an easy birth because I'm more scared of giving birth than having had the laparotomy! :-(

Im sure you will be fine. Remember, there is always pain relief if you need it. x

did anyone have a premmie baby at the southern i was wondering if they only allow you to stay with the baby some time or if your allow 24/7 access?

Didnt want to read and run but noticed that you had posted on this thread. I would imagine if you have a preterm baby you would be able to come and go on visiting for your partner. I would imagine you could stay with your baby. Hope someone can give you the answer. Hope this helps to bump it up again for you!

thanks hun i hope so or will be telling them i am transfering baby's care surely its illegal to stop mother from being with her child more so if she's breastfeeding

I had my son at the Southern 8 weeks ago. I cannot fault the hospital at all. I had an induction which led to an emergency section. My son was in intensive care for 4 days. I stayed on ward 48 for 5 days then was lucky to have a mother and baby room in the special baby ward for 4 days. The staff were amazing throughout. As for the epidural, I was offered this but as I had a section I never got to that stage. If there is anything I can help with, please feel free to ask xxx

would love to talk with you as i hate the hospital so far we're high risk and they are really making us feel like crap and not doing anything alot of the time is seems they might be good with normal pregnancies etc but scared about otherwise.... i worry also that me and my OH wont be allowed to stay with Baby if born too soon.... with Ds iw as at his bedside 24hours until he was let home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->