Glass bottles?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
I'm getting mixed reviews on them. I'd like to try them out tho for many reasons. With DS I had some health issues and it caused my milk to dry up sooner than I had wished so we may need them again. DS had a milk allergy and needed special formula. That stuff smelled awful :sick: No matter how many times I washed and sterilized his bottles they still smelled awful! I'm hoping the glass won't hold the gross smells and things, plus it's supposed to be better for baby. I'm just concerned about leaks and gas. Anybody else have glass bottle experience? I bought a 2pk of 5oz bottles on clearance this weekend for $5. They're the glass Weil baby ones. I also figured they could be great for breast milk storage for when we leave baby with people etc.

I exclusively used glass bottles. Due to my job, I know way too much about plastics and chemicals. I really like them. I've never had a leaking issue ever. Because we bottle fed, we did have to make sure my son burped properly, but I ensured we used a low-flow nipple which really helped with gassiness. The glass bottles clean and sterilize well and have never had one break even when my son has dropped it on the ceramic floor (more than once). We'll be using them again for baby #2.

If you do end up using plastic, NEVER put in the microwave (not a problem with glass though).

I don't use warmers or anything. We just run under warm water :thumbup: I'm always too afraid of it burning baby. We got lucky with DS. He was never too picky on his bottle temp tho thank goodness :haha: I know some who won't take it unless it's perfect :dohh:

I don't use warmers or anything. We just run under warm water :thumbup: I'm always too afraid of it burning baby. We got lucky with DS. He was never too picky on his bottle temp tho thank goodness :haha: I know some who won't take it unless it's perfect :dohh:

Thats awesome! My son took room temp bottles, which made things so easy, especially for the middle of the night feedings. I am really hoping this baby will be the same!

We use glass bottles and I greatly prefer them.
I really like the Born Free bottles. You can get them in the glass and then they have this green rubber coozy type thing that slips right over it. It protects it from being broken, which I like, but tbh they are super durable even without the coozy. In fact we have dropped them on tile floors a few times :)blush:) and they never broke.
We never had smell issues w our glass like we did w our plastic

We also switched bc of chemicals and the different Horrid materials that the industry uses w the plastic bottles

I think one of the big reasons I want them is for milk storage if nothing else. I will bf as long as I am able but DH likes to feed the baby and help out sometimes and we do go out occasionally. I think it's funny that you really are not suppose to store milk in plastic bottles but that is all they offer for breast milk storage. I will admit a bad mommy moment tho :blush: One time I was at work and absolutely had to pump and I forgot something to pump into. I had to wash out my pepsi bottle and hand express into it so I could get through the day :dohh: I put it in correct storage as soon as I got home but I was so embarrassed somebody was going to see that.

Thanks for this thread! I had considered using glass bottles and had then thought to myself "now that plastic bottles don't have BPAs in them, there is no point."

But I guess that there are tons of other chemicals in plastics that I should still try to avoid...?

Thanks for this thread! I had considered using glass bottles and had then thought to myself "now that plastic bottles don't have BPAs in them, there is no point."

But I guess that there are tons of other chemicals in plastics that I should still try to avoid...?

It's hard isn't it? You WANT to think "well, they sell it for babies so it must be safe right?" but we just can't sadly. I know it's not the same but I try to look at it like I did baby food with DS. I refused to buy baby food because of all the extra sugars in them. So now thinking about it I guess the plastic bottles will have much worse in them than just too much sugar :winkwink: Still trying to wrap my head around it because we aren't really that skeptical normally. It's been put in our heads that they have to run checks and make sure it's safe, but in reality it just has o pass a "certain checkpoint" that really still isn't safe.

Yes, I think you are right. My doctor always tells me not to store my food in plastic containers so I guess that matters doubly for a baby.
Glass bottles it is!

I love glass bottles! Used for both for breast milk expressing and storage and formula. They were much easier to keep clean and smell-free. Great for storage and not so hard to take with you either. They are pretty sturdy--I don't actually remember ever breaking one. And never had a problem with leaking.

We did use plastic when traveling long distances because who wants to risk glass breaking in your luggage? And once our child was older and wanted to hold bottle herself, we'd use plastic for that (she was a biter and weaned early).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->