Glucose test wasnt completed! Please read.

iBeach

Reaction score
I had my first prenatal visit two weeks ago. I did 1 hour glucose test. I was soooo sick afterwards, but so glad it was over.
My OBGYN has ordered bunch of tests. I was able to review results online, but couldn't find results for glucose.
Today I went for genetic testing consult and asked my nurse for the results, and she couldn't even find them. She called the laboratory and they admitted they ""forgot"" to do it!!!!!!!
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuugh:growlmad::dohh:
I was sick two days after I drank that nasty sugary drink and now she wants me to do it again!!!!
Hell no!

How important is that glucose test in first trimester?

They don’t do it in first trimester in the U.K. I fact they don’t do it at all unless you have a history of diabetes, a close family member has it or your BMI is over 35. We get glucose level taken bloods but no tolerance test until I think 28 weeks if you meet criteria.

I didn’t have to do that until 28-29 weeks. That really stinks that they forgot to run it!

It's sugar, it should not make you that sick for more than a couple hours after you ingest it. I'd ask your OB about that.

Sucks they didn't do your test. I thought that screening wasn't until 26+ weeks.

Ugh I had mine done on Monday and was sick for two days as well! I felt terrible!

Honestly I wouldn’t do it again unless there were risk factors...but I don’t know what happens with insurance etc

Being from the UK I didn’t realize it was SO different to the one I had there, it was not pleasant. I’m surprised they did it so early, seems a bit strange. I thought most places did it at 28 weeks ish.

Agree with the others - I’m in Canada and the standard is to do it between 24 and 28 weeks, but that’s if you’re low risk. If you have risk factors (overweight, family history of diabetes etc), they’ll want to do it earlier to make sure it’s controlled throughout your pregnancy. I also don’t think it should make you sick for so long after you drink it - I felt jittery for about half an hour after drinking it and then was fine, so it could be an indicator that you’re sensitive to the glucose and it might be worthwhile to do the test again.

Yeah, my OB said I am overweight, but everything else seems fine. My vitals etc, low blood pressure. Regular blood sugar was fine.
I was sooo upset! That drink is absolutely nasty. Just so nasty.

I didn't do the test because I am very alergic to the flavouring in the drink. They said you can get one that has no additives but didn't have it available. My MW admitted after that she doesn't agree with the test. It is WAY more sugar than a normal person digests at one time so doesn't really give you a real life idea of how your blood sugar levels are and doesn't think that much sugar can be healthy for mother or baby.

Very frustrating for you having to go through it and not getting the result.

I didn't do the test because I am very alergic to the flavouring in the drink. They said you can get one that has no additives but didn't have it available. My MW admitted after that she doesn't agree with the test. It is WAY more sugar than a normal person digests at one time so doesn't really give you a real life idea of how your blood sugar levels are and doesn't think that much sugar can be healthy for mother or baby.

It is designed to be enough sugar to force the body to react at 26 weeks how it would react with the hormone levels you have at 32 weeks. They cannot change your hormone levels to mimic the insulin resistance you have at 32 weeks, so they increase the sugar to mimic the effect normal amounts of sugar have with higher hormone levels.

It is designed to be enough sugar to force the body to react at 26 weeks how it would react with the hormone levels you have at 32 weeks. They cannot change your hormone levels to mimic the insulin resistance you have at 32 weeks, so they increase the sugar to mimic the effect normal amounts of sugar have with higher hormone levels.

That's basically what she said. She just didn't really agree with pushing the body so far because there are lots of women who are diagnosed with GD that never actually have problems with their blood sugar thought pregnancy with the normal diet they eat. In the end I bought a monitor because I have a history of big babies and checked my sugar levels that way.

I know the test has its place. That was just the opinion of one MW.

That's basically what she said. She just didn't really agree with pushing the body so far because there are lots of women who are diagnosed with GD that never actually have problems with their blood sugar thought pregnancy with the normal diet they eat. In the end I bought a monitor because I have a history of big babies and checked my sugar levels that way.

I know the test has its place. That was just the opinion of one MW.

Yeah. I was diagnosed with GD but my case was really mild, I was 100% diet controlled and really had no problems past 35 or 36 weeks. Better to be safe I suppose.

Our gtt test is 3 hours long and is 400ml of original lucosade to be consumed witin 5 minuits just not the nicest of drink the orange flavour is 100% nicer but dont offer it xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->