Gluten and other stuff

Dragonfly

Mother of 4
Reaction score
I havnt given William anything with Gluten in it as I am scared to. I am allergic to gluten and I dont want him to be as its awful. I read that babies can have an allergy later in life if its given to early to them and to be on the safe side thats why I am holding out. But when is it definaltly ok to give gluten? I know it says 6 months. Can anyone understand why I am weary of this? wouldnt want him to go through what I did to find out I couldnt eat it. And my mum gave me gluten from a very early age so thats where I think mine came from.

and what about celeric? i seen that on jars and that makes me nervous!
I know I worry to much, I dont want him to be having allergic reactions to celeric.
*I have a whole cupboard full of food i am afraid to feed him. He is just getting stuff with cows milk in It now and seems ok with that.

hope I am not being weird. :blush:

I start as I mean to go on.

I know what you mean even though I am nowhere near weaning yet. I am allergic to dairy and eggs and intend on holding out as long as possible with these two. (Even though I think they have to be older than 6m for eggs anyway).

I would wait a bit longer to give him gluten but would start giving him other stuff that you haven't yet done so gradually.

I'm sure there are people on here who know more about this than me! :)

I think you are doing the right thing, not being weird. :hugs:

Thank you for the reassurance and answering me. It does help knowing that I am not being some weird health freak. I just want to do whats best for my child. I dont intend on even giving him sugary foods till he is old enough to know they are treats (means i def have to go on a diet to show an example) . I know he is ok with strawberry as I didnt think when I gave that to him a while ago and he was fine, fine with milk to I think. I hope he dosnt have any probs.

And diary allergy is awful! I think you have less to eat than I do as most even my GF foods have eggs or milk in them.

Our dr actually recommends to hold off on wheat/gluten until 12mo as a normal recommendation. I know not all drs do here, but if your allergic I would def hold off until then

Lol yeah, my mum can't have wheat or gluten either, so I'm really hoping Freya is ok with these things or it will be a nightmare! She's going to be eating vegetables for years......:rofl:

I think it's good that you have thought about this, too many people just feed their baby anything, I am going to avoid sugary stuff too. Although, in the docs waiting room the other day, a childs mum offered another mum's child (he was about 1 I think) some sweets, she asked the mum first, and I was thinking I wouldn't want my child to have that, and am I too shy to say 'no thanks'? I'm going to have to get braver I think!

:)

Lol yeah, my mum can't have wheat or gluten either, so I'm really hoping Freya is ok with these things or it will be a nightmare! She's going to be eating vegetables for years......:rofl:

I think it's good that you have thought about this, too many people just feed their baby anything, I am going to avoid sugary stuff too. Although, in the docs waiting room the other day, a childs mum offered another mum's child (he was about 1 I think) some sweets, she asked the mum first, and I was thinking I wouldn't want my child to have that, and am I too shy to say 'no thanks'? I'm going to have to get braver I think!

Yeah I agree. You can't be too careful. My OH had epilepsy and eczema as a child which was triggered by certain foods, so there's a few things I'll be avoiding giving in case Ruby is the same.
I don't plan on giving Ruby sweet food for the forseable future. Or juice / fruit drinks.
That's bad that mum put the other mum on the spot by asking if it was ok to give sweets. The worst I've seen is...a mum pouring coca cola into her baby's bottle at a shopping centre!

Yeah I agree. You can't be too careful. My OH had epilepsy and eczema as a child which was triggered by certain foods, so there's a few things I'll be avoiding giving in case Ruby is the same.
I don't plan on giving Ruby sweet food for the forseable future. Or juice / fruit drinks.
That's bad that mum put the other mum on the spot by asking if it was ok to give sweets. The worst I've seen is...a mum pouring coca cola into her baby's bottle at a shopping centre!

Thats awful :nope:

coke! fs! And I bet she has an awful time with that child with no sleeping and being hyper then crashing with sugar and caffein. My friend gives her child coke he is in primary school and has autism and regulary used to smash my house up while drinking all the coke. I think a diet has alot to do with how a child is, my sister is allergic to gluten yet my mother feeds her it and she has autism, she is also allergic to caffein and choc but thats all she eats. She cant say her name yet and puts through windows and self harms in bad tempter. Few years ago she was taken off all that stuff to see how she would act and she was a totally different child! calm, not abuisive or voilent. But my mum gives her what she wants so its nightmare down in her house.

I was going to hold off till a year and i think i will now. I just have to make sure everyone who seems to want to shove gluten, salt and sugar down my childs throat fecks off and respects that instead of looking at me like I am a weirdo of child abuser not giving sugar and coke to my kid.

coke! fs! And I bet she has an awful time with that child with no sleeping and being hyper then crashing with sugar and caffein. My friend gives her child coke he is in primary school and has autism and regulary used to smash my house up while drinking all the coke. I think a diet has alot to do with how a child is, my sister is allergic to gluten yet my mother feeds her it and she has autism, she is also allergic to caffein and choc but thats all she eats. She cant say her name yet and puts through windows and self harms in bad tempter. Few years ago she was taken off all that stuff to see how she would act and she was a totally different child! calm, not abuisive or voilent. But my mum gives her what she wants so its nightmare down in her house.

I was going to hold off till a year and i think i will now. I just have to make sure everyone who seems to want to shove gluten, salt and sugar down my childs throat fecks off and respects that instead of looking at me like I am a weirdo of child abuser not giving sugar and coke to my kid.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I agree.

Do your OHs support this too? I wonder if mine will want to give Ruby treats!

Yeah Darren agrees but I am not sure about his ones, they have mentioned they agree with whats best for him. Darren is always with William if he is with them so they wouldnt be feeding him crap. Its just my family really and friends. Its like sweets are a normal food to eat every day to them. Thats not even how I was raised, I got sweets only out of my own pocket money one day a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->