GMD and I ordered my first cover!

milkmachine05

Reaction score
Hi Ladies! :flower: I'm really looking forward to cloth diapering tis time around, and I think I've decided what I want to use at the beginning, but I have a quick question. I was looking at the Green Mountain site and I really want to know if there is any advantage to getting the "fitted" cloth eez diapers with the snaps over using the regular prefolds?

And I just ordered my first diaper cover from Gen-Y website, the skullduggery print!

Thanks for any and all replies! I stalk in here all the time and am looking forward to posting more.

I've not used GM nappies but I'd say the advantage of any fitted nappy over prefolds is the easy of use. There will be no folding and they usually have the method of fastening built in (although you can get ones you have to nippa/snappi or pin). I can't get my 16 month old daughter to lie still for me to fold a prefold round her and snappi or pin it. If you plan to pad-fold the prefold (so you just make an insert out of the prefold and lay it in the wrap), the advantage of a fitted nappy is that a pad-folded prefold won't catch poo very well for a younger baby so you may find the wrap/cover getting dirty. A fitted nappy or a prefold made into a nappy shape will catch stuff easier.

The disadvantages to a fitted nappy are that they can be more expensive, they're not as customisable, you can't use them as boosters in other nappies or choose to pad-fold them and they often take longer to dry.

I really prefer bamboo fitted nappies but everybody is different. If you can't decide, I would probably get a few of each and try them out, then buy more of what you like the best.

I have a Gen-Y skullduggery print wrap - it's beautiful!

I love GMD prefolds, IMO they are the best! For my newborn stash I have a dozen of their orange edge but also 6 of their orange edge work horse diapers with snaps. I figure those are going to be easier in the middle of the night, etc.

I think I will probably get both the regular prefolds and the fitted prefolds from them to start with. So the orange is the smallest size, right? And they do have the stay dry liners and boosters too if needed I think.

Rachel, what do you use inside your gen-y wrap? I ordered the universal wrap which has the leg gussets and the flaps that you can stuff the ends of the prefolds in. Wait, I see that you use bamboo fitteds, nevermind....I'm really tired!

For prefolds they do have preemie but orange is considered newborn. I think for those fitteds orange might be the smallest though :)

Excellent! I'm going to order some. They really are economical compared to other fitted diapers I've seen.

MilkMachine I haven't gotten to use my GMD fitteds yet but the quality is awesome! :) I think you will like them. My husband was really turned off to prefolds so we are going the fitted route. Plus, I figured it would contain messes a little better and keep the cover from getting too dirty!

Just thought I"d clarify because I almost forgot there are 2 different types of GMD fitteds

These are the ones we have that look like they will be great
https://greenmountaindiapers.com/images/workhorse.jpg

But there are also these which I have no experience with yet :)
https://greenmountaindiapers.com/images/infantfitteds.jpg

Rachel, what do you use inside your gen-y wrap? I ordered the universal wrap which has the leg gussets and the flaps that you can stuff the ends of the prefolds in. Wait, I see that you use bamboo fitteds, nevermind....I'm really tired!

I sometimes use it over a Bitti Boo (bamboo fitted) but I also use it over Thirsties Fab Fitteds (they're microfibre fitteds I think) and with a Flip stay dry insert with a bamboo booster underneath to make it last longer. I have the Size 2 wrap though so I'm not sure if a Flip insert would fit in the smaller wrap, and I know that the organic Flip inserts are a bit of a tight squeeze. With the wrap having the flaps to put an insert under, I would probably pad-fold a prefold once LO gets older but you should be fine to put a prefold with a nippa/snappi under it too.

A flip stay dry does fit in a size one gen-y but you have to fold it a bit to make it fit :)

mommyof3co, those top fitteds are what I'm getting. And some prefolds. From there we'll know better what works for us. I'm sure I'll end up getting some AIO's somewhere down the line as well!

I'm busy building my newborn stash too right now :) We've gone with BumGenius XS AIOs, Lil Joey's and Fuzzi Bunz XS...they seem like they are going to work perfectly. Then we've done a few other brands of fitteds too

I can already tell that I'm going to probably go overboard on this. There are just so many options. I will say that I'm going to hold off until I find out if we're having a girl or boy though....at least I'm going to try!

Haha I think I'm going a bit overboard but I try and justify it saying I'll resell it all for small, medium stash so I won't come out so much then. I'm getting pretty close to finishing mine up though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->