Go to A&E or not...?

I wouldn't say a baby of that age and weight should be getting 3oz every 3 hours; from my understanding that would be the average amount for a 4 week old onwards; so 1-2oz per feeding is fine. Perhaps the MW is confused because when my eldest and youngest were back in hospital they were taking 3oz at s week old and the paediatricians said the average was 1-2oz, and they were telling the parents of a baby they were discharging to give around 60ml (2oz) per feeding and he was 2 weeks old.

However the other things you have described sound worrying; and I would go to A&E, how is your baby's colour-is she jaundiced? A similar scenario happened with my eldest and I now know due to having another baby the same (my youngest) that he was severely tongue tied and lip tied as well as having a very high arched roof of his mouth and he was quite small; so he simply couldn't get the milk into himself properly-even when he was older he struggled and if he had a bottle most of the time he would not be able to swallow most of it and it would go everywhere. He was extremely dehydrated and very badly jaundiced as well; a very severe form of jaundice runs in the family anyway but because he was so dehydrated and also due to him not getting enough light due to the weather being so grim, it was so many times worse. I knew there was a problem but aside from one midwife; the rest kept fobbing me off with him. Nowadays they are more aware of these things and hopefully will be able to find out what is going on and if it is a tongue tie or anything like that xx

That must have been horrible.. I am so sorry.. And aggravating that everyone (except the midwife you spoke of) was ignoring the symtoms. I am sorry that all happened to you and your eldest child. Its bad enough when something is wrong with them and knowing the are hurting, but then to be ignored by people who are supposed to know this kind of stuff and they are ignoring you. :flower:

Shes been quite alert since she has been born and there is a very noticeable change between yesterday and today. Am going to express some more now and try to feed again so I'll see how this one goes adn then decide. Am sure my brother will come look after the other LO - he'll be asleep anyway :thumbup:

Well, I am certainly glad to hear that!!! Hope it all goes well!!

Have you got an out of hours doctor you could see? Then if you need to take her in the GP should be able to phone through and you'll skip A&E.

I'd definitely get LO looked at tonight just to be on the safe side. Let us know how she goes.

I agree with PP that it could be reflux, my LO had silent reflux and it can make feeding a nightmare
Xxx

And it can be VERY hard to diagnose because unlike reflux they are not always throwing up the feed, they actually swallow it. Good luck hun! I pray everything is ok with your LO, which i am sure it will be. Take care! And lots of :hugs:.

I wouldn't say a baby of that age and weight should be getting 3oz every 3 hours; from my understanding that would be the average amount for a 4 week old onwards; so 1-2oz per feeding is fine. Perhaps the MW is confused because when my eldest and youngest were back in hospital they were taking 3oz at s week old and the paediatricians said the average was 1-2oz, and they were telling the parents of a baby they were discharging to give around 60ml (2oz) per feeding and he was 2 weeks old.

However the other things you have described sound worrying; and I would go to A&E, how is your baby's colour-is she jaundiced? A similar scenario happened with my eldest and I now know due to having another baby the same (my youngest) that he was severely tongue tied and lip tied as well as having a very high arched roof of his mouth and he was quite small; so he simply couldn't get the milk into himself properly-even when he was older he struggled and if he had a bottle most of the time he would not be able to swallow most of it and it would go everywhere. He was extremely dehydrated and very badly jaundiced as well; a very severe form of jaundice runs in the family anyway but because he was so dehydrated and also due to him not getting enough light due to the weather being so grim, it was so many times worse. I knew there was a problem but aside from one midwife; the rest kept fobbing me off with him. Nowadays they are more aware of these things and hopefully will be able to find out what is going on and if it is a tongue tie or anything like that xx

That must have been horrible.. I am so sorry.. And aggravating that everyone (except the midwife you spoke of) was ignoring the symtoms. I am sorry that all happened to you and your eldest child. Its bad enough when something is wrong with them and knowing the are hurting, but then to be ignored by people who are supposed to know this kind of stuff and they are ignoring you. :flower:

Thanks hun, what was even more upsetting was he was like this while we were still in the hospital after he was born and the paediatricians on the ward kept saying oh he is fine even though I said he looks very jaundiced, if they had treated him right away as opposed to discharging him he probably would have been fine by a week old instead of in hospital and remaining jaundiced for nearly 4 months! xx

Jenny, can you call your midwife and ask her to make a home visit right now? Discuss your concerns, and ask her to check over little lady thoroughly?

We took Lizzie to A&E when she was very, very wee...she had jaundice and had got lethargic. They saw us almost immediately due to her a/ being a baby b/ DH insisting they saw us ASAP with her being a baby...

Lethargy is a symptom of jaundice, and it's very common, so don't worry. Lizzie went a really bright shade of orange, and was put under a lamp for 24 hours, with me expressing while she was there. In retrospect, the consultant said we probably could have solved it at home by keeping her in the bright light. Ally had a bit, too, but not to the same extent.

If you're remotely concerned, go to a&e. If worried about germs, ask if you can sit in a cubicle to feed...and feed where poss...I always went armed with latex gloves to hospital, too.

Let us know how you get on, chick. Don't worry...they will get to the bottom of it, and it will all be sorted. Newborn settling in times are worrying. Big :hugs:

Ps once you've sorted this, sleep! I know it's easier said than done, having a similar age gap, but ask someone to sit with the littlies and just wake you to feed. 45 mins needs to be worked on :hugs: eat and drink plenty, too.

I don't have my MW's number but shes out in the morning, then she made me a doctors appointment for 3pm tomorrow as well.

She took 2.5oz although was a bit of a battle in the end but we got there. She fell asleep almost immediately though and is still sleeping now. During the short feed/nappy change time she was awake, she was alert enough.

Its probably totally my fault shes more jaundiced than normal. Our house has been witout sunlight and if I was feeding downstairs, the curtains closed. Shes barely seen the outside at all :/

It isn't your fault at all hun; while the light is a factor, its more them not feeding well that causes the more severe types of jaundice-but 70% of babies get jaundiced anyway. Also at this time of year putting them in the light is a bit hit and miss as the daylight is so 'weak' anyway xx

How are things, Jenny?

And it's NOT your fault! Jaundice is soooo common, as SR says,and you can't control the seasons...don't be blaming yourself :hugs:

AM only getting back online. She put on 4oz overnight!

We didn't go to a&e as she had a few good feeds last night. I just checked on her all night long. She's still very sleepy but less jaundiced :wohoo:

My othe LO was such a crying, colic-y noisy baby that maybe she's just being what newborns are supposed to do - I.e sleepy and content - and I'm just over worrying myself?

hi just read this am glad she put weight on overnight. both my LOs have just slept and fed as newborns it is totally normal but like you said prob weird with they way your son was. hope she keeps gaining for you hun x

Hurray! My lo was a sleep n feed baby too-nothing to worry about. Great news that shes gaining x

I would take her if for nothing else than to put your mind at ease hun. Keep us informed xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If our are ever concerned about anything, seek medical help. You won't be wasting anyone's time and you should follow your instincts.

Glad to here she gained some last night, hope you have round the bend and she only continues to gain.

I'm so happy that all seems to be well and she has actually gained! That is wonderful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->