Going to be a first time BF'er. Tell me everything!

ready4num2

Reaction score
Hi ladies, I'm pregnant with my second child and want to BF this time around. My first DD now 8, I didn't even try to BF. This one I want to BF and plan on pumping too so DH can feed her as well.

Where do I start? What should I know? I need the run down of it!

Thanks!

It's going to be impossible for me to give you everything you need to know (even if I did know everything!) because you would be reading for HOURS!! Not to mention what works for one doesn't work for another-just like with every other thing with babies :) but here goes my 2 sense:

If you have access to a lactation consultant USE HER! My insurance did not cover one, but luckily the hospital I gave birth at had one on staff. She helped while in the hospital as well as a group meeting once a week. You could make appointments to meet with her anytime-I just got lucky and didn't need to! But I fully thank her for my success with breastfeeding!

I started pumping the day my milk came in. Many people advise against this but it worked for me (My LC encouraged it as well). You will hear people tell you to pump after every feeding. Do what works for you. Balance your time. Make sure you're getting sleep! If I felt to tired to pump and my breasts would allow it, I would go back to bed!

We introduced the bottle at 2 weeks. Long story-my son was losing weight due to me using a nipple shield and he couldn't pull the milk out. My LC got him to latch without the shield. Once he figured out how much milk he could get, he never looked back. BUT he had lost enough weight that my LC got his doctor involved and doctor said to nurse then bottle feed. He had a little nipple confusion at first but it didn't last long. Don't be discouraged if you have to/want to introduce the bottle or pacifier earlier than recommended.

Speaking of pacifiers. I was the mom who said she was NOT giving her son the pacifier! Yeah. My son did not agree! Again, don't feel guilty! My son wanted to comfort suck and it gets sore after awhile!! (I say this because many people say when breastfeeding it's best to not introduce a pacifier because of nipple confusion)

Your milk can be blue or green sometimes-totally normal!

Sounds like common sense but make sure to always wipe your nipples when done nursing or pumping. Thrush is very painful for momma and so hard to get rid of!

As far as pumps, I use the medela pump in style. It retails for about $250 but my insurance covered 80% (thank God!)..When I was researching pumps this is the only one I was recommended. I love it! I also have a medela manual pump to keep in the diaper bag. It has come in handy many times when we're out and about, I'm filling up and he's fast asleep!

Clogs suck. They hurt. Don't stop nursing..this is the best way to get them out! I have however had a few that NOTHING (or so it seemed) would help. That's when you start investigating that nipple. You'll most likely find a milk bleb (looks like a little white head) on your nipple. Some are very noticeable, some aren't. Some don't show themselves for a couple of days. You can wash your hands thoroughly and try to pick at it-this works if they stick out from the nipple. They don't always. I have had to sterilize a needle and "pop" them before. Sounds painful-I didn't feel a thing! I always keep a bottle close by because I don't want to waste the milk that comes pouring out once it's popped! If you do get a clog-just google how to remove them-There are lots of lists!

The first month your body is producing more milk than baby needs. After 1 month, your body goes into supply and demand and it becomes harder to increase your supply. This does not stop baby from increasing what s/he wants to eat! I would recommended pump pump pump (with a decent balance like I mentioned above) the first month, but I have heard of women having problems with over production. I personally did not.

Moms who have previously breastfed are your best source! ASK ASK ASK! Doctors are good but most don't know as much about breastfeeding as you would hope they would!

Take a breastfeeding class. Hospitals offer them, I found one through a friend. She was a certified LC that worked from home. The class was only $15. She taught the 3 breastfeeding holds (cross the body, football, and laying down) which are very important to know. Different holds work for different babies and at different times! I never liked the laying down until one Saturday morning after I returned to work and I wanted to be lazy. It was glorious! I found the football hold to be convenient when baby gets full off of one side, you can pump the other side and be done in less time!

It's normal for breastfed babies to eat up to every hour. Time goes from when you start one session to when the next starts. My son never ate this often, so it doesn't always happen. Best thing is to prepare for it (especially at night) so it's exciting when you get a longer stretch!

Many people talk about how great lanolin cream is. I have still to this day heard nothing bad about it from anyone. I personally hated it! I feel like it made my thrush worse. I stopped using is and the thrush went away. It really helped the first week with the sore nipples, but after that, I threw it out!

They say it's normal for breastfed babies to poop after every feeding or to not poop for up to 7 days. They say breastfed babies do not get constipated. IDK if I really believe this latter part. Just this past weekend my son pooped Thursday night and didn't poop until Saturday night. Saturday he wasn't his normal bubbly self. Nothing I was too worried about but after he pooped (filled 2 diapers) he was kicking and laughing and smiley. IDK maybe not, but I think he was constipated!

Look up the info on breastfed babies poop. I can't remember exactly but the first few days it's real dark meconium, then turns to greenish then to yellow and seedy. It should stay yellow and seedy for awhile.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/ Here is a list of storage guidelines for expressed milk. My LC told me that the times have been updated within the past year. Previously frozen breastmilk is good in the fridge for 48 hours and heated milk is good for 2 hours.

People have different views on breastfeeding and alcohol. Personally I am comfortable with having one drink and waiting 2 hours to nurse or pump (this is how long they say it's in your system-think along the lines of blood alcohol levels). Some people say if you can't feel the effects then it's safe - safe to drive, safe to nurse. Again, whatever is your comfort level!

I have found kellymom.com to be a GREAT source of information!

There is always milk in there. Even if you just pumped and then baby wakes up and is hungry-latch him on before giving him the bottle (if that's what you want). He may have to work a little harder to get it to come out at first but it will. Every morning I get up and pump and never fails, as I'm washing my supplies my son wakes up. I latch him on and he eats just fine! Even though I feel completely empty!

Please DO NOT give up! Breastfeeding is NOT easy at first. I saw a saying.."the first 3 weeks are the hardest, it's easier by 6 weeks, and by 3 months you feel sorry for mom that have to make formula" This cannot be more true, except for the last part. I always felt that way (especially at 2am) but mine really hit about 8-9 weeks. I was SO glad I never gave up. If you do think about giving up-remember why you started.

Hopefully my hour long answer helps! Please feel free to message me with any questions you have!

It's going to be impossible for me to give you everything you need to know (even if I did know everything!) because you would be reading for HOURS!! Not to mention what works for one doesn't work for another-just like with every other thing with babies :) but here goes my 2 sense:

If you have access to a lactation consultant USE HER! My insurance did not cover one, but luckily the hospital I gave birth at had one on staff. She helped while in the hospital as well as a group meeting once a week. You could make appointments to meet with her anytime-I just got lucky and didn't need to! But I fully thank her for my success with breastfeeding!

I started pumping the day my milk came in. Many people advise against this but it worked for me (My LC encouraged it as well). You will hear people tell you to pump after every feeding. Do what works for you. Balance your time. Make sure you're getting sleep! If I felt to tired to pump and my breasts would allow it, I would go back to bed!

We introduced the bottle at 2 weeks. Long story-my son was losing weight due to me using a nipple shield and he couldn't pull the milk out. My LC got him to latch without the shield. Once he figured out how much milk he could get, he never looked back. BUT he had lost enough weight that my LC got his doctor involved and doctor said to nurse then bottle feed. He had a little nipple confusion at first but it didn't last long. Don't be discouraged if you have to/want to introduce the bottle or pacifier earlier than recommended.

Speaking of pacifiers. I was the mom who said she was NOT giving her son the pacifier! Yeah. My son did not agree! Again, don't feel guilty! My son wanted to comfort suck and it gets sore after awhile!! (I say this because many people say when breastfeeding it's best to not introduce a pacifier because of nipple confusion)

Your milk can be blue or green sometimes-totally normal!

Sounds like common sense but make sure to always wipe your nipples when done nursing or pumping. Thrush is very painful for momma and so hard to get rid of!

As far as pumps, I use the medela pump in style. It retails for about $250 but my insurance covered 80% (thank God!)..When I was researching pumps this is the only one I was recommended. I love it! I also have a medela manual pump to keep in the diaper bag. It has come in handy many times when we're out and about, I'm filling up and he's fast asleep!

Clogs suck. They hurt. Don't stop nursing..this is the best way to get them out! I have however had a few that NOTHING (or so it seemed) would help. That's when you start investigating that nipple. You'll most likely find a milk bleb (looks like a little white head) on your nipple. Some are very noticeable, some aren't. Some don't show themselves for a couple of days. You can wash your hands thoroughly and try to pick at it-this works if they stick out from the nipple. They don't always. I have had to sterilize a needle and "pop" them before. Sounds painful-I didn't feel a thing! I always keep a bottle close by because I don't want to waste the milk that comes pouring out once it's popped! If you do get a clog-just google how to remove them-There are lots of lists!

The first month your body is producing more milk than baby needs. After 1 month, your body goes into supply and demand and it becomes harder to increase your supply. This does not stop baby from increasing what s/he wants to eat! I would recommended pump pump pump (with a decent balance like I mentioned above) the first month, but I have heard of women having problems with over production. I personally did not.

Moms who have previously breastfed are your best source! ASK ASK ASK! Doctors are good but most don't know as much about breastfeeding as you would hope they would!

Take a breastfeeding class. Hospitals offer them, I found one through a friend. She was a certified LC that worked from home. The class was only $15. She taught the 3 breastfeeding holds (cross the body, football, and laying down) which are very important to know. Different holds work for different babies and at different times! I never liked the laying down until one Saturday morning after I returned to work and I wanted to be lazy. It was glorious! I found the football hold to be convenient when baby gets full off of one side, you can pump the other side and be done in less time!

It's normal for breastfed babies to eat up to every hour. Time goes from when you start one session to when the next starts. My son never ate this often, so it doesn't always happen. Best thing is to prepare for it (especially at night) so it's exciting when you get a longer stretch!

Many people talk about how great lanolin cream is. I have still to this day heard nothing bad about it from anyone. I personally hated it! I feel like it made my thrush worse. I stopped using is and the thrush went away. It really helped the first week with the sore nipples, but after that, I threw it out!

They say it's normal for breastfed babies to poop after every feeding or to not poop for up to 7 days. They say breastfed babies do not get constipated. IDK if I really believe this latter part. Just this past weekend my son pooped Thursday night and didn't poop until Saturday night. Saturday he wasn't his normal bubbly self. Nothing I was too worried about but after he pooped (filled 2 diapers) he was kicking and laughing and smiley. IDK maybe not, but I think he was constipated!

Look up the info on breastfed babies poop. I can't remember exactly but the first few days it's real dark meconium, then turns to greenish then to yellow and seedy. It should stay yellow and seedy for awhile.

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/ Here is a list of storage guidelines for expressed milk. My LC told me that the times have been updated within the past year. Previously frozen breastmilk is good in the fridge for 48 hours and heated milk is good for 2 hours.

People have different views on breastfeeding and alcohol. Personally I am comfortable with having one drink and waiting 2 hours to nurse or pump (this is how long they say it's in your system-think along the lines of blood alcohol levels). Some people say if you can't feel the effects then it's safe - safe to drive, safe to nurse. Again, whatever is your comfort level!

I have found kellymom.com to be a GREAT source of information!

There is always milk in there. Even if you just pumped and then baby wakes up and is hungry-latch him on before giving him the bottle (if that's what you want). He may have to work a little harder to get it to come out at first but it will. Every morning I get up and pump and never fails, as I'm washing my supplies my son wakes up. I latch him on and he eats just fine! Even though I feel completely empty!

Please DO NOT give up! Breastfeeding is NOT easy at first. I saw a saying.."the first 3 weeks are the hardest, it's easier by 6 weeks, and by 3 months you feel sorry for mom that have to make formula" This cannot be more true, except for the last part. I always felt that way (especially at 2am) but mine really hit about 8-9 weeks. I was SO glad I never gave up. If you do think about giving up-remember why you started.

Hopefully my hour long answer helps! Please feel free to message me with any questions you have!

This is exactly the type of info I was hoping to receive! Thank you!

I'm very determined to BF I can tell my DH is all for it but wants that bond of feeding the baby too. My concerns were starting BF'ing then going to a bottle then her getting turned off of being BF.

I didn't want to purchase a pump in case it didn't go according to plan. However, I found the madela pump in style someone used and was getting rid of $30 and she only used once! I couldn't say no. Obviously I'm buying the tubes and cups for pumping.

I didn't consider a class that seems a good thing to look into. I have no idea what to expect or where to start! I have an appointment today so I'm going to inquire.

I didn't realize you should pump that often or that you could. I never thought of the possibility of have anything be blocked either. That's good to know! I've heard the bowel movements definitely defer from formula fed babies.

I don't mind using the pacifier, it was such a saver with my DD. Which brand did you find worked best or do you think is most natural to a baby being BFed? I know every baby is different and I'll probably have to go through a few at first.

Oh, I haven't even thought ahead to the drinking alcohol and BF'ing! I'm not a big drinker anyways. What do you do of you are going to have more than one drink? Pump and freeze?

Sure I will have more questions as they come to mind. Thanks for all the info!

I wanted to use the soothie brand because the base widens like the breast but my son will only take the avent brand that's similar to nuk but not quite as turned upward..lol idk how to explain it any better than that!!

I now pump 6 times a day..I have friends that pump up to 8!

Check with the hospital-2 of my friends at 2 different hospitals say the hospitals gave them the tubing and accessories. My hospital didn't but I also didn't ask!

I haven't had more than one drink but if I were going to I would pump beforehand and bottle feed him and dump out any milk I pumped within a reasonable amount of time. I can't stand the thought of pumping and dumping so I just stick to one drink at a time!

A class is a good place to start..a lot of the information I'm sure is available online but it lumps it all together!

Feel free to message me with any questions that come up!!

I don't think there's much I can add to that reply. I think the main other thing is don't expect it to be easy, especially at first. And expect to have a baby attached to the boob most of the time, but especially so during growth spurts. I remember being told that my baby should be nursing at least 20 minutes and go four hours between feeds and I thought I must not be producing enough milk (despite the contented baby gaining plenty of weight and having lots of wet and dirty nappies!)

Incidentally that is one bit of good advice I was given -when you start to worry how much they're getting just remember you can't see what goes in but you can see what comes out. It is, however, normal for a BF baby to go several days without a dirty nappy.

Get your partner on side, I imagine this is even more important with another child to entertain. There were so many times when I wanted to just give her a bottle of formula and get some sleep and hubby would remind me how much I wanted to succed with the bf and make me a nice cup of tea.

Have snacks and a water bottle handy all the time. It was hot last summer when my LO was born but even so the thirst was unreal - I was drinking 4-5L water a day and I still felt thirsty sometimes. I also found I was a bit apathetic with food but I was hungry so I snacked because I just couldn't face big meals, and besides my daughter always knew when I was about to eat and wanted to feed herself!

If you decide to pump don't be put off if you don't get much, it's not an indicator of how much baby is getting because the best pump in the world is not as good as a baby at emptying the breast.

Hope that helps.

I just found this site:

https://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html?m=1

I have only read a little bit so far, but it seems really informational!!

This is all great advice but I would like to just quickly add that BF doesn't *have* to be hard. I know that for some ladies it is difficult through absolutely no fault of their own, but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. I would just hate for you to approach it with a measure of anxiety or trepidation and let that make you worry during an already pretty stressful (yet wonderful!) time.

I hope this is coming over as I mean it, I don't mean any offence at all and the previous posters have all given some great advice. All I'm really saying is don't worry, but be prepared, knowledgeable and tackle any problems IF and when they arise rather than just expecting to have problems... does that make sense? You and your boobs are designed for this!

My top tips:

Make sure you have the tv remote within reach.
Have your mobile close by and the volume low so it doesn't make bubs jump.
Have a selection of pillows and cushions to prop you, your arm and LO if you need them. I used normal pillows rather than specific nursing ones.
Keep a clean cloth nearby for when the other nipple decides to leak, or of course have a bottle ready to catch the drips. Lots of people pump while nursing to take advantage of the natural letdown on both sides.
Be prepared to nurse for a loooong time in the early days. Don't be frustrated and just accept it and remember they get more efficient at nursing very quickly. You can always try using a carrier/wrap/sling if being stuck on the sofa for most of the day isn't a viable option.
Last but not least - always, always, always make time for a wee before you settle down to nurse! Bladder control just ain't what it used to be!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->