Going to London for the weekend...

MrsT&Ben

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm off to London for the weekend soon and was thinking of doing a bus tour. Is there a better company to use? Want to cram as much in as possible.
Other than afternoon tea on the first day I have no other plans. What is a must to do whilst in London?

We went at the end of May and we used Big Bus tours. We only went on it for Lucas because he'd begged for ages but honestly I wouldn't bother, particularly if you've no kids with you. It's SO expensive for what it is and they take forever to get around because of the traffic.
We were in London three or four days and the rest of the days we got around using the tube, it was so much better for seeing the sights etc and we got a lot more into our day that way.

Camden Lock was a highlight for us, also the Natural History and Science Museums :flower:

I agree actually. Make a list of things you want to see then try to plan it round using the tube or buses and often it's quicker to walk then use either of those. A tour bus will eat into your time and you only see a fleeting bit before your turn the corner, I would definitely skip it.

I would probably skip the bus tour too. You don't see much and kids would rather do things than sit on a bus and look out the window. The Science Museum is great. I would also maybe take a Thames river cruise. Boats are more fun than buses and you'll see more. Hyde Park and the Diana Memorial Playground.

I love London, sometimes go for work and also have friends down there so over the last few years I've spent a lot of time there. I love Covent garden area and also south bank. I've been on a river cruise on the Thames and that was pretty good, I was also a proper tourist and went on the London eye once :lol: was good just to say I've done it if you know what I mean! I've also done the theatre which was brill. I've also done the o2 cable cars which was quite cool and I don't remember it being too expensive either.
Hyde park is lovely if the weather is nice, there's also Richmond park which is a bit of a distance outside central but you can spot deers!
The shard has some amazing restaurants and bars with fantastic views as well.

If I think of anything else I'll update!

I've never done a bus tour but agree with the others, the tubes are great from getting you to A to B really quickly - you'll get about and see more of the city that way and on foot I think.

We lived in London for 3 years and did the bus tour once and I actually quite enjoyed it, I used to see the sights often but it was nice to properly look at them and listen. That said, I went with DS2 as a young baby in a carrier and my mum, my eldest didn't come, he would have loved the open double decker bus but I think he would have got bored eventually and disrupted the schpeil they do. But I enjoyed it, we often do it when we visit new cities, we just went for the red ones you see in other cities.

Never been on a bus tour but I enjoyed sitting in Leicester Square at night time, watching things go by and visiting China Town Market. I also loved the Natural History Museum, as an adult with no children in tow haha.

We did the open buses when we went to NYC and I felt I learnt more from that, however there's no way my children would want to sit and listen. I remember doing it in Windsor as a child and I was bored. I've only seen the red ones about though tbh. Although it might be no children?

I would look at things you Want to do and see if you can group them together so you walk.

If it is just you then I would want to do

1) either the Shard or London eye. If neither of those appeal then the cable cars are a good cheap alternative but I personally find them a bit out of the way.
2) Buckingham palace, horse guard parade, Downing Street and see the changing of the guards
3) Museums, there's so many to chose from in London so it depends on your interests. Ones I've particularly liked are the science museum, natural history and the British museum.
4) for a bit of shopping people always think Oxford street etc but I think you get those shops any where so I like Camden market or Portobello Market. They're unique and have a great vibe. Oh and both have yummy food there too.
5) if neither of those appeal then Covent Garden is lovely, again unique. We usually do the theatre either before or after (before if it's an evening show or after if it a matinee) Covent Garden then we have a spot of food there, look in the cool little shops, watch all the street acts and people watch). I love Covent Garden.

If there are children then I would def do the Princess Diana Memorial Garden (get there early though as it fills up and there's limited space) and the memories fountain (you can paddle in it).

Thank you for some fab ideas. I'm going child free. I'm so excited!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->