Good sauces?

chezababy

New mummy to baby girl
Reaction score
If me and oh have anything with a sauce such as pasta I just buy a jar but I know you can't use jarred sauces for babies. So does anyone have some good easy recipes for sauces for my lo to have with pasta etc. She's 6 months.

Cheese Sauce - butter, flour, milk and cheese. Simple and delicious and goes with almost everything.

Bolognese if you have it too just watch the salt content - there are low salt stock cubes (usually in baby food section)

I do a kind of throw it all together sauce! It's basically whatever veg I have in the fridge, a tin of tomatoes, maybe a low salt stock cube too and herbs and pepper oh nod maybe a dash of Worcester sauce but not too much. So, the one I made recently I chopped/diced carrots, celery, courgette, peppers, onion and sautéed /fried them a bit before adding the tin of tomatoes and stock etc. I think I added a teaspoon of sugar aswell to take the edge off! I then let it all simmer for a bit until the veg is a bit softer but not too soft. Then blitz it with a hand blender and freeze until I want to use it. I had it last night as bolognase sauce with minced beef and pasta.

Sorry, that was long winded but its v straight forward to actually make!

I often just do a basic tomato sauce for with pasta - fry some onions and garlic in a little oil, add a tin of tomatoes, a bit of tomato puree, a dash of balsamic vinegar, some herbs and pepper (OH and I salt ours on the plate), cook to reduce it a bit. Sometimes I chop some courgettes or other veg and add that too. The kids prefer it blended to a smooth sauce when there is veg in there, as do I actually.

Quickest and easiest when I'm being lazy is to soften some onions then add a big dollop of soft cheese (like Philadelphia), stir to melt then add a little cream or milk and stir again. You can add herbs if you want, or start off with cheese with herbs in it. You can add some grated cheese too, just watch salt content with all the cheese.

I make bologneses etc but When I'm feeling really lazy....
Philadelphia
Philadelphia and tinned tuna
Philadelphia and tomato purée
Philadelphia and tinned sardines in tomato sauce.
I chuck a handful or 2 of frozen peas or mixed veg in with the pasta just before it's cooked.

Yeah the cheese sauce is a good one. For spag Bol I use tinned toms, Tom purée, mixed herbs and pepper. Nice to add a bit of red wine if not using for lo ;)

The best one I've found is from the River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook. It's just roasted veg (500 g butternut squash, 1 fennel bulb, 2 carrots, 2-3 cloves of garlic) blended up with 150-200 ml of veg or chicken stock, then topped with shredded cheese. It's SO GOOD!!! One of my favourite meals actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->