gossip in the workplace

Linda23

Reaction score
I work in the grooming salon of a pet store with about 12 other employees total between grooming and the sales floor. I haven't told anybody about my pregnancy at work yet as I'm only 6w6d and haven't had a scan yet. My problem is they are very unprofessional when it comes to rumor and gossip. Most are already going behind my back gossiping that I'm pregnant. This is not the first time yheyve started this particular rumor about me but its the first time they were right about anything. I didn't have morning sickness or anything to give me away just some bloating. They talk crap in front of me about how being pregnant, young, and unmarried is just a cry for attention. Also that if you are like that then you should be forced to go through natural childbirth without any meds to teach them to not spread there legs. I'm terrified to telm anyone now. Even my boss is no help cuz she's just as bad as the rest. Iam. young compared to a lot of my coworkers at 23 and I'm not married. I've been with OH for about 2 years and this baby was planned. Having seen so many failed marriages I don't see the huge deal in being married or not but my coworkers are the first to tell me how wrong and irresponsible it is. It's to the point where I hate going to work as the stress is ridiculous and unhealthy. I can't just switch jobs because I have saved up my vacation time here to use for my unpaid maternity leave. I have only told my mom and his dad so I don't want to tell work before my damilyt. Idk what to do but its making me miserable. Help :/

Wow. I'm so sorry, what a rude bunch of aholes! You sounds like you have it together perfectly well, they are the one that need to get their crap together and learn to mind their own business! I don't have any advice on what you should do I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that they need to put a sock in it. Sorry girl :hugs: I am non religious (Co workers don't know that) and i work at a catholic church, I am 22 pregnant and unmarried. Everyone is nice but I'm sure they talk about it.

Wow. I'm so sorry, what a rude bunch of aholes! You sounds like you have it together perfectly well, they are the one that need to get their crap together and learn to mind their own business! I don't have any advice on what you should do I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that they need to put a sock in it. Sorry girl :hugs: I am non religious (Co workers don't know that) and i work at a catholic church, I am 22 pregnant and unmarried. Everyone is nice but I'm sure they talk about it.

Thank you so much. I know I'm not the only one out there facing scrutiny but they are just taking the joy right out of this for me and I needed to vent. :hugs:

Absolutely! They are a bunch of Scrooges! So sorry dear, just try to ignore them... Easier said than done I know.

Seriously people at your job need to shut up! They would have a hay day with me! I'm 21 and not married and am 4 weeks and 2 days. Tell them it's none of their business. If they wanna talk to you it better be about work nothing else.

SHEESH! some people! everyone at my work was so supportive! ):
I'm only 18, and unmarried! I'm with you, many of marriages fail, so what's the point with rushing it, I mean its almost cheaper to not be married in the big scheme of things anyway!
Keep your head up, don't let them ruin this joyous time for you! They seem quite immature, age or marital status should not mean a damn thing, women should support women, period.
If they can't grow up, just know you already are more mature than they may ever be.

Do not let people steal your joy... it often comes from a place of jealousy unfortunately in these situations. Regardless of the reason, their judgment is misplaced. Maybe they should take a good look at themselves and why they are so critical of others? Esp since your baby WAS planned... geez. Who cares if you aren't married especially if you are in a committed long term relationship. Don't let them rain on your parade - that's within your power! :)

Thanks girls :) OH has been saying the same things as you. We used to work together so he knows them personally. I don't want to be someone that just gets married cuz of a baby. If we do get married I'd rather it be for love. I'm happy how things are now but have no clue how to announce my pregnancy to them without the "i told you so's" or the "someone forgot their birth control". I don't even want to tell my boss for safety reasons.

If that's how nasty they are, I wouldn't even bother announcing it. Let the belly speak for itself when you get one! Or wait to second tri and let your boss know, but no one else. Let them be gossipy old biddies. Don't let their unhappiness with their life ruin the happiness in yours.

Is there an HR rep with that particular company or is it a small business? If there is someone HIGHER with an open door policy that you can speak with I would express my concerns with them. If not, just don't tell your co-workers and plan your "vacation" accordingly. Screw them.
GL!

If that's how nasty they are, I wouldn't even bother announcing it. Let the belly speak for itself when you get one! Or wait to second tri and let your boss know, but no one else. Let them be gossipy old biddies. Don't let their unhappiness with their life ruin the happiness in yours.

That's a fantastic idea. Thank you

Ignore them. My first pregnancy i had all the gossip as i was in hospital with hyperemsis early on and had to tell boss. One of the other people i worked with then spread around i was pregnant when i was about 8 weeks, i got asked if accident when my lo was very much planned, i was 26 and married and there was still all the gossip lol. Just dont tell them. Marital status and age is not what makes you a good mum

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->