Got a letter from work

3011busyyear

Reaction score
So I went into work 2weeks ago and discussed with my boss about coming back. He described how he had adapted the role and that there was much more of a full time job now, I was a bit bored before!
I asked him if I could do two days from home and left it with him to ta ot through with the other boss. He's on holiday now until next week, btu I sent an email summarising our meeting and what I had requested.

Today I get a letter from hr saying my contract is due to end and that they aren't aware of any further funding to extend it. Erm he told me the week before that it would be extended for another year.
I don't know if this is just an automatic letter that has gone out at the 5months mark or if something has changed after I asked for flexible working :growlmad: I will go ape sh*t on them if that is the case. Grr at waiting until Monday to speak to them :growlmad:

We're you on a Permanant or Fixed Term contract?

I'm a HR Manager so might be able to help.

They absolutely cannot do this, they have already told you that it will be extended so they can't go back on their word now that you've asked for flexi.

You'll get thousands from them for unfair dismissal if they do!!!

Are you a member of a union? xx

Likewise, I too am in HR and just completed my Employment law module! A contract does not have to be in writing, and so if your boss implied that you woudl be coming back, adapted the role etc. you have a case. In addition regards flexible working, remember they only have to consider it, IF it woudl be to the detriment of the organiosation, or the role could not be done part time etc. they dont have to offer it. they do have to properly justify that, however, and not just say it.

You are legally entitled to return to the same role under the same terms and conditions. Hours etc...

If you are wanting to change your hours this might change this protection but they would still need to be exploring flexible hours with you. They would need to give you a strong business reason as to why they can't accomodate your flex working request. They should not just be ending your contract (especially if it is earlier that you expected without good reason) ie. Redundancies and the like...

It's a fixed term until mid oct, the whole project is funded until then, however they have enough funds from what he said to extent contracts until march 2012, then he's also working on a plan to fund for another year after that.
If the funding was not continued I would go on a redeployment list to basically get first dibs on other jobs in the organisation, which I basically what the letter is saying.
I think it's a mis communication on behalf of HR as my boss probably hasn't told them i went in to see them (he's very slow!) but I'll Call them up on Monday. I can't bare another fight, they told us last year that after a review of all roles (somehow carried out without speaking to me, my manager, my team or anyone else who actually knows what i do) my job is being downgraded and my salary will be reduced in 3years time, effectively £8k drop, nice eh?! This was all approved with the unions and an appeal was basically pointless!

3011.. U dont happen to work for a council do u? My oh's contract was meant to finish this march but they have extended it until oct.. He also was put on a list for any jobs that come up within the council that he can do.. And altho he knew the contract was being extended until oct he still got a letter stating the end of the contract.. Hth x

Pay and conditions review ugh, another council worker here!

I'm a council worker too and they're being knobs about me coming back.

New guy doing my job has got in with the drinking crowd with the bosses and is one of my colleagues boyfriend too so they want to keep him rather than me!! My boss even tried to offer me a job 75miles away from my old one. I do not think so!!!!!

xx

If it is a large organisation, such as a council as others have suggested, it is probably just the case that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It likely just hasn't occurred to your boss that he needs to talk to HR yet. I'm sure it is just an oversight.

You are legally entitled to return to the same role under the same terms and conditions. Hours etc...
Only if that job still exists. If the contract was due to end anyway, then the original term of the contract applies.

Cant offer advice really as i dont have a job to go back to at all :shrug: but hope it gets sorted for you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->