Got doppler today...need help please

djgirl1976

Expecting our 1st
Reaction score
So yay:happydance: My doppler came in the mail today! Such quick delivery I am stunned!
Only problem is, I can't seem to find the heartbeat. I am not stressing, because I am not finding the whooshing either. Thinking I may be a little too low? I know I can't be too high. I am starting really low to avoid that.
Anyone have any ideas about where I should be putting the probe at this point in preg.?
I know it isn't up by the belly button yet, but just how far below might I want to look? I stayed around pubic bone for a bit and didn't really find anything.
Also, does using extra gel help? I didn't put a ton on there, but I didn't use it dry.
Any suggestions are greatly appreicated!

At this point the womb will be 1 to 2 inches below your belly button.

Move the wand *really* slowly and use lots of gel. I always find my pickle kinda by the pubic hair line or over in the right side. I guess its comfy that side lol.

Tilt the wand down so the cord is towards your face and the wand is pointing towards your hoo hoo.

If you find a wooosh woooshing sound, that's generally your placenta pulse. If you find something over 200 that will be your heartbeat. You can also find your leg pulse over by where your bikini line is and follow it up.

If you time for 15 seconds and times that by 4 it will give you the baby heart rate, its generally between 120-160.

Also when you have a wand in a spot .. try keeping it on that spot but move it kinda north south east and west if you get my point. I say that because freqrently If I'm in one spot and I face the face of the want to the left there will be no HB, but if I leave it in the same spot and move it to point down, there it is, galloping away!

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much! Yes, I think I was looking much too low, and the thing about pointing the wand, well, I read that in the directions but wasn't sure if I understood it correctly, so thank you for clarifying!
I had no idea you could find the pulse from your leg with these. Geez...one more thing for me to find that is not baba...:rofl:
So far I found my own heartbeat, tummy rumbling and feedback.:rofl:
I will give it a go again with a lot more gel. I thought that might be the right idea, but wanted to ask first before I drench myself in the stuff!
Thanks so much for the help and I will update you if I find the little nugget:happydance:

You're not that likely to find the HB yet, my MW struggled to find it when I was 15 wks. So don't be too worried if you can't find it.

heya
my only additional advice is to try what I call the "dividing line" - the line between where you are flat and your tummy starts curving up - that's where I have found it every time since about 15 weeks. and it's closer to the centre (i.e. draw down from your belly button) than you might think. Start in the middle and then go very slowly a couple of inches either side. But I can't say much more than the other ladies have said
Good luck!

yea I agree, mine is pretty much at the top of my pubic area, sometimes it disappears and I have to push it a little harder to get abit deeper. First time I heard it I was amazed, and I used WAY too much gel. But found it quickly. I use alot less gel now and it takes me abit longer, so maybe the gel has somethin to with it! x x x

I always find the hb. I sit up a bit so that uterus is pushed down, legs up on bed/ chair, it's better if the bladder is full, but not to the point that you feel uncomfortable. The hb is usually on the right 3-4 cm above the pubic bone but then goes across the wobm so I can hear it at any point really. I use very little gel as well, just a drop. Good luck xx

I find that I have a really hard time finding the HB by myself but DH is a pro at it. If you can get anyone else to do it, it would probably be alot easier to find as they can actually see if there is enough gel, etc. My baby is well above my belly button now but I still find her heartbeat right above my pubic bone. *shrugs* And I started using mine around 13 weeks with instant success at finding the HB. Good luck hun! :hugs:

I found putting it just above my pubic bone (not on obviously as the sound waves'll just get reflected back) and sort of angling the machine into my pelvis (if that makes sense) helped.

Lying down is better and yes use loads of gel to start with. Once you've found it it gets easier every time.

Good luck!

Aye, I lie down on the sofa when I do it so my back is flat.

I had a hellva time finding pickle the first time .. took me around 1/2 an hour total of trying. But now I kinda got the hang of it and know where to look I can find her every time with in seconds.

I excited to hear if you find it today :)

Aye, I lie down on the sofa when I do it so my back is flat.

I had a hellva time finding pickle the first time .. took me around 1/2 an hour total of trying. But now I kinda got the hang of it and know where to look I can find her every time with in seconds.

I excited to hear if you find it today :)
Yes, sweetie..I used your advice and BAM.:happydance: There it was. I was just poking around a bit too low. Found it somewhere around hip bone level, and fairly quickly. I have an LCD so it helped to confirm since the reading was 166. DH said, "no, that's you" and I said, "no that is baby", and showed him the pulse. In hindsight, had he realized I was lying down and not runnig a marathon, he probably would've picked up on it. We got to listen for around 30 seconds I would guess, before LO was tired of the racket and moved away.
So neat! Oh, and to answer your question, Chrisi, I bought a Hi Bebe 200, I think it is. The portable one with the LCD screen for heart rate. Totally worth the price I would say, since it was fairly easy to find once I was looking in the right area.
Thank you so much for all the help ladies! It was amazing getting to hear our LO! :yipee:

Oh, I should probably mention in case anyone else reads into this, that I have a fairly long torso. I am 5 foot 8 inches, but my upper body is a bit stretched out. I found it off to the right a little bit(not much) and about in the dead center from pubic area to belly button. maybe 3 in down, 3 in up, give or take 1/2 in.

Yay! I'm glad you found the HB :) My pickle gets bugged by it too and moves away.
The cats however are totally fascinated with the sound of the HB and sit tilting their heads at the speakers lol.

Yay! I'm glad you found the HB :) My pickle gets bugged by it too and moves away.
The cats however are totally fascinated with the sound of the HB and sit tilting their heads at the speakers lol.

Me too, it was awesome:)
That's funny, my cat could care less if anyone in the house is even breathing, as long as we fill up his dish! The dog, on the other hand, he hopped right onto the bed and stuck his nose in the middle of everything. He wanted us to check his belly, too. DH is a dork and decided to try it out. Needless to say, no baby in him:rofl:

i could have lay all night listening to it but oh wouldnt let me :( . suppose we dont want to run the battery down after 2 days!!!!! does it not get addictive though? how foten are you checking for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->