got myself a little project

EmmyReece

Mummy To Olivia
Reaction score
We've been in our new house just over a month now and at the moment the smallest bedroom is being used as storage.

While I work on losing the weight over the next few months before we start trying again, I thought I would try and get it ready for baby. So, clean the carpet, paint the walls and gloss the window sill, as well as get all of the boxes that are still in there unpacked and up in the attic out of sight.

I've been to b&q today and got 3 different shades of yellow paint and will pop them on the wall to see which one brightens up the room the most as it seems to be very dark at the moment and not get much natural light. But, I also think the fact that the walls have been left a horrible dark lilac/purple colour doesn't help the light situation much at all.

It's a nice room and a bit bigger than the middle room at our old house, so plenty of room for a baby. And it means that we can actually keep our middle sized bedroom for guests for the time being :happydance:

I'll take some pictures tonight of the before shot and hopefully update as I make progress. So excited to see it all coming together :D

Sounds exciting :happydance:

If the colour on the walls is dark might be worth you buying one those "one coat" white paints so that your yellow looks that extra bit special on the walls :thumbup:

That's a brilliant idea, thank you :D I think we've got a bit of white paint leftover from when we decorated the front room, so what I'll probably do is paint a large patch white above the window tonight while I start the clearing of boxes and then do the patches of yellow before bed tonight so that they're dry by the morning and I can see them in what little natural light we do have.

Ah thats handy having some white paint left over. You can never have to much white paint :winkwink:
I can't wait to see some pictures of what it will look like :happydance:

I'm just hoping that the lighter paint will help to brighten it up as knowing what I'm like I'll probably end up feeling stupidly guilty at a baby having a dark bedroom :dohh:

Sounds like a fun project!

Honestly...darker rooms are better for babies :) We just moved as well and my sons room at the old house was quite dark. He had 2 windows in the same corner and that was it. But what light he did have coming through would keep him up at naptime so we wound up with black out curtains and a blanket over the window. His room now is much brighter and I kind of wish we were back in the dark room lol.

In any case, have fun with your project!

For the ladies who already have children, do their rooms need to be totally silent?

I've just been sat in the room making progress on all of the boxes and realised that when the hot water/heating kicks in I can actually hear the boiler downstairs in the utility room slightly. I don't know if it's loud enough to keep a baby awake and don't want to decorate a room to be a nursery and then have to change our minds because of the boiler :dohh:

I use a white noise machine - my daughter hates total silence! And we also have a HUGE window n her room and had to spend a fortune on black out curtains - good luck!
By the way - in our home bedrooms are strictly for sleeping - so I never really cared if it was enough/ too little/ too much light because its not like she plays in there

For the ladies who already have children, do their rooms need to be totally silent?

I've just been sat in the room making progress on all of the boxes and realised that when the hot water/heating kicks in I can actually hear the boiler downstairs in the utility room slightly. I don't know if it's loud enough to keep a baby awake and don't want to decorate a room to be a nursery and then have to change our minds because of the boiler :dohh:

We have been through phases with ds, when he was tiny we used a white noise machine to get him to drop off. Mostly he goes into his bedroom in the dark (well as dark as we can get it n hes still up at crack of dawn) We lives on a main road, above a shop. At the weekends theres loads of noise outside his window (all the delivery drivers chatting n laughing) and he sleeps just fine.
We have had building work going on in house next door past 8 weeks so for daytime naps hes had to go for nap with a movie on (normally timmy time or thomas) as the drilling is so loud and banging is intermitant and distirubs him.

I would personally say the boiler would help, but thats my little one. Every baby is different. It will remind baby of womb if its soft droning noise which will be pretty perfect actually :thumbup:

Hubby reckons it isn't loud at all and he isn't concerned in the slightest so I can stick to my original plan of painting the smallest bedroom :happydance:

We already seem to have blinds on the window (not sure if they're blackout or not as we haven't pulled them down yet), so what I'll probably do is get the colour updated when we eventually need to :D

We didn't start of with a noise machine but when DS was a couple months old picked one up and has made a HUGE difference. The one we have was $20 off amazon and comes with 10 different sounds (though we've only ever used the white noise). He is 13 months old and we still use it...he really doesn't like sleeping in total silence.

I think the broiler noise will help and not hurt :)

I also can't wait to see pictures! Yellow is such a pretty color, and perfect for either gender! :happydance:

I think it depends on the baby. Once DD is out she is out! They shoot cannons/weapons here on post every day, and sometimes it wakes me up... but she just snoozes away. Even hubby's gaming outbursts don't wake her. :haha:

The baby would probably be used to the boiler making noise anyway after awhile. :)

:happydance: that's such a relief. I didn't really want to use the big room as a potential nursery as it's a perfect space for when we have family over for the meantime.

I think I've already chosen the paint colour (Dulux Endurance - Vanilla Sundae) as the other two just didn't seem to cover the white patches like I was hoping to. It's the yellow in this picture from homebase

https://homebase.scene7.com/is/image/homebase/169560_R_Z002?$TMB$&wid=420&hei=420

And now for pictures, the first one is what I started with when we got home and the second one is what it looks like now. You also get an idea of what we're dealing with lighting wise. Not particularly tidy (bare in mind we still had a bit to unpack), but it's a work in progress :D

Attachments

• CE7DE8C1-878E-45E7-925C-E8918B5AE197_zps7ismfjsv.jpg
    CE7DE8C1-878E-45E7-925C-E8918B5AE197_zps7ismfjsv.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 80732D3D-8B2A-441A-B936-CB7D145CE073_zpsko8syapa.jpg
    80732D3D-8B2A-441A-B936-CB7D145CE073_zpsko8syapa.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 16
Love the color! I don't think the lighting is bad in the room, and you can always add extra lights if needed. That's going to be a fantastic nursery! :)

It's going to get a coat of white as it does stand out so much better that way. Adding the extra steps should keep me a bit busier too :winkwink:

I've also realised that I have a couple of drawer sets that I can sand down and paint white, so that saves a bit of money in the long run as well :happydance:

That will look great and it will really be a wonderful nursery space! Have fun on the projects and looking forward to seeing the after photos!

It's going to get a coat of white as it does stand out so much better that way. Adding the extra steps should keep me a bit busier too :winkwink:

I've also realised that I have a couple of drawer sets that I can sand down and paint white, so that saves a bit of money in the long run as well :happydance:

Wow I just love it!! It's going to look great. Its such a nice size for a nursery too. I think the lighting will be just fine. Once summer comes along you want it as dark as possible or get woken at 4.30am :dohh: :haha:
I can't wait to see it all done and what a great idea to use some other drawers!!! We are planning to do the same for no.2 and I'm going to try and personalize once we know gender :winkwink:

Wow, what an amazing project you have!! I love the color and the room looks perfect for a nursery. Wish I could do a similar project now, love our apartment but we're considering downsizing before TTC to free up some extra moolah which means we'll probably be moving. I'm following this thread, can't wait to see updates! Fabulous!

Well, that's the bedroom pretty much empty apart from a few little bits which will be shifted later today :happydance:

The broken headboard needs to go to the tip next week when hubby can borrow my mum's car and the last few bits on the floor need to be put away in the bathroom and other bedrooms.

I'm pretty much decided on the Vanilla Sundae colour as it definitely looks the nicest in the room regardless of what sort of lighting there is. So the plan is to get a couple of tins of white paint, possibly just the cheaper b&q stuff for a base cost and then get the yellow paint on the walls.

The mural seems to have been painted thickly so I'm going to sand that down so that the wall on that end of the room is nice and smooth.

This will probably sound crazy but I also want a nice clean reed diffuser for the bedroom. Something like Yankee Candle's fluffy towels or something similar I think. I want the room to smell clean and cosy until we eventually have a baby and it smells of baby toiletries :rofl:

It's very much going to be a work in progress and I'm seriously excited to see it coming together :happydance:

Attachments

• E3E3AAEE-3DF8-4DCD-91DB-2EE092CA4A77_zpsuk9nkowv.jpg
    E3E3AAEE-3DF8-4DCD-91DB-2EE092CA4A77_zpsuk9nkowv.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012