Greece

dizzyisacow

wife,mother & myself
Reaction score
has anyone been or plan on going to Greece?
my DH reaaaally wants to go on holiday over there to one of the big cities where he went to college but after reading how awful the whole country is right now im a bit scared :shrug:

it would be our first trip abroad together since we met, i told him i would much rather go somewhere else but its also cheap to go there.. :flower:

I love Greece, my hubby is half Greek so we have been a few times. We've been to Athens, where his grandma lives to visit her, but apart from that only been to islands so can't comment on anywhere else. It's suppose to be cheap to go there as well now due to the financial problems they're having. We've just booked a week in Corfu in September as it's cheap as chips!

My SIL lived on kos for 20+ years but had to sell her bar/restaurant last year and come back to the uk due to the financial problems. Shes been back a few times and says its heartbreaking what's happened there. When she was there at Easter she said people are so desperate they are stealing food just to feed their kids!

She still loves the place tho and will be going again for the summer holidays. She said there's still a lot of tourism but just be careful of thieves!

what exactly are you scared of? :shrug:

thieves, vandalism, chaos, being harrassed and or attacked.

:shrug:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...iness-German-travellers-report-hostility.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...litical-party-wins-votes-form-government.html

erm...not to insult the daily mail or anything...but that is sooooooooo OTT :haha::haha: and a typical example of how foreign press over exaggerates things. And of course Germany is trying to affect our tourism :haha:

While there are political issues here, and we're waiting to vote again...I honestly don't see how that would affect you or any other tourists unless you were planning to move here! Hell I live here and the only thing that affects me is how expensive everything is...but that's nothing new :haha:

If you were to stay in the CENTER of Athens then I'd say it's a bad idea since it's always been a dangerous are at night, and if there are riots that is where they're going to be... but anywhere else is fine. If you're going to a vacation spot then there's nothing to be afraid of and you probably won't run into many Greek people anyway since most people here can't afford the awesome vacations the tourists will be having due to the fact that we get charged more for hotels etc and we have more unemployed people than we do working people, so most of us will end up at our beach houses.

Where are you planning to go? :flower:

erm...not to insult the daily mail or anything...but that is sooooooooo OTT :haha::haha: and a typical example of how foreign press over exaggerates things. And of course Germany is trying to affect our tourism :haha:

While there are political issues here, and we're waiting to vote again...I honestly don't see how that would affect you or any other tourists unless you were planning to move here! Hell I live here and the only thing that affects me is how expensive everything is...but that's nothing new :haha:

If you were to stay in the CENTER of Athens then I'd say it's a bad idea since it's always been a dangerous are at night, and if there are riots that is where they're going to be... but anywhere else is fine. If you're going to a vacation spot then there's nothing to be afraid of and you probably won't run into many Greek people anyway since most people here can't afford the awesome vacations the tourists will be having due to the fact that we get charged more for hotels etc and we have more unemployed people than we do working people, so most of us will end up at our beach houses.

Where are you planning to go? :flower:

thanks!! :hugs: i feel better now.
my DH wants to go to Thessaloniki, and maybe travel to bulgaria with car i think.
i have been to Athens before and didnt really like it and i really dont like the islands because in August when i go they will be packed with people.
what are you doing in Greece? are you from there or?

Thessaloniki is even nicer than Athens :thumbup: people there are always dressed so nicely compared to us here :haha:

Bulgaria is quite close to travel by car from there, I've heard from friends that it's lovely but my OH doesn't like it much (he often flies over for business and stays in Sofia)

You're right! August is the worst month to visit islands...unless you plan on going to a huge one like Crete or book an all inclusive hotel which is expensive but so worth it!! When I worked and could only have my off days in August we'd go to an all inclusive hotel and it was great! we were the only Greeks there :haha::haha::haha:

I'm from here :flower: I grew up travelling the world because of my fathers job, but moved back when I was 18. I think it's great with all the sunshine and the fact that no matter what time of the night you go out, you'll always see people having fun! :flower::flower::flower:

Thessaloniki is even nicer than Athens :thumbup: people there are always dressed so nicely compared to us here :haha:

Bulgaria is quite close to travel by car from there, I've heard from friends that it's lovely but my OH doesn't like it much (he often flies over for business and stays in Sofia)

You're right! August is the worst month to visit islands...unless you plan on going to a huge one like Crete or book an all inclusive hotel which is expensive but so worth it!! When I worked and could only have my off days in August we'd go to an all inclusive hotel and it was great! we were the only Greeks there :haha::haha::haha:

I'm from here :flower: I grew up travelling the world because of my fathers job, but moved back when I was 18. I think it's great with all the sunshine and the fact that no matter what time of the night you go out, you'll always see people having fun! :flower::flower::flower:

:) im from cyprus where they pretend they are greek :haha:

Yeah deffo take everything the daily mail writes with a BUCKET of salt.

I hope you go and have a fab time x

Yeah deffo take everything the daily mail writes with a BUCKET of salt.

I hope you go and have a fab time x

:rofl::rofl:
i use daily mail as my daily update of the world no wonder im a bit paranoid!

:rofl: That would be enough to make anyone paranoid.

I've not been to Greece mainland, only some of the islands but I have heard the mainland is beautiful x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->