Green Fingered Mums - Child friendly slug pellets?

charlotteb24

Noah & William's Mummy
Reaction score
As the title discribes! what can i use to keep the little monsters off my flowers? I have had them practically distory all of my hard work and i am gutted!! :growlmad:

Theres a few good ideas on here xx https://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-barriers/abrasive

Adhesive Copper Tape -Slugs are known to suffer the equivalent to a mild electric shock when coming in contact with copper, so they simply will not cross this kind of barrier. It is very important with this tape to make sure leaves don’t hang over the barrier as this gives the slugs a bridge to cross to the plant.

Oooh I'd heard of using copper wire, but hadn't heard of cooper adhesive tape :)

Thanks ladies I shall try some of that stuff before I plant anymore plants for the slugs to eat!

Crushed egg shells sprinkled round your plants stops them as they cant crawl over it as it hurts or jam jars with beer inside as they crawl in and get pissed and can't crawl out so you can just empty the jar everyday. I use a combination of both to keep the little blighters off my veg patch. You can use salt but it will destroy your soil so not good for borders or veg patches.

I've been having problems with slugs too :growlmad:

I saw a few homing in on my plants earlier actually, needless to say they didn't get very far, horrible things!

Quite like the idea of getting them pissed though, never heard that one before :haha:

I normally use salt so I'll try the jamjar and beer idea :)

x

most organic slug repellents are pet and child friendly :flower:

Most of the 'old wives tales' methods don't really work.

I have children and a dog and am needing to get rid of slugs in a friendly way. I don't know the name of it but organic pellets are child and animal friendly and work much better and more effectively than the old beer in jar etc. Plus you don't have to get rid of the dead slugs - if you do the jar thing you have to make sure you empty it pretty much every day.

https://www.capitalgardens.co.uk/gr...utm_medium=comparisonengine&utm_source=google

This stuff says it's safe for using where there are kids/pets x

Actually I'll be totally honest. I have an allotment and I have to admit, I've resorted to normal tesco pellets and good old finding and chucking. (The oap "mafia" down there have er... "suggested" its the only way to go lol).

Although the egg shells and copper thing do work to a certain extent, pellets are effective (and down the allotment I simply don't have enough eggs to cover that space).

Big pats on the back for wanting the best for your family :) but don't beat yourself up too much if the old wivey methods aren't effective enough/too much work for you - you're a busy mummy after all. The organic pellets sound good :) I shall be on to hubby to get those for the garden at home at least xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->