Green Tea

emgrae

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm about 6 wks pregnant with my first, and made the mistake of doing a lot of googling which has me freaked out about everything. I'm especially worried about green tea--I was drinking 2-3 cups a day until I read a couple days ago that it can inhibit the absorption of folic acid and contribute to neural tube defects. Now I'm totally worried that I completely screwed up. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be panicking? Thank you!!

I've read conflicting articles on this. Some say it's ok in moderation due to caffeine and others say it's not safe due to absorption of folic acid. I'd definitely ask a dr. I like green tea myself, but won't be drinking any unless the dr okays it.

I heard that it's a great source of folic acid, nothing about being harmful at all as long as it's strictly Green Tea and nothing else added. I wouldn't worry about it, just eat your leafy greens and a balanced diet (or prenatals) and it should all turn out okay! :)

I'm a green tea addict and was consuming multiple cups a day. I continued this habit in very early pregnancy, but then decided to limit the amount I drank based on what others told me (inhibiting folic acid absorption, restricting blood flow). My baby was born without any neural tube defects. I don't think you need to worry. Just limit it to a small cup a day and everything should be okay.

I drank loads until I was about 5/6 weeks pregnant and my little boy is absolutely fine. Just stick to decaf

Thank you all so much for these responses. I feel so much calmer now!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->