Group B strep INFO PLEASE!!!!!!!!

sarahdeanna

mam of 3, expecting no.4
Reaction score
hiya all, just found out i got group b strep, iv had two beautiful girls and have only now been found to have it and im crapping myself cos of th horror stories iv read about it and th risks to my baby, just wondering if anyone has info about it or has it and what happens as iv only just found out tonight and i dont c th midwife til friday :( really worried, thanks xxxxxxxxxx

I have strep b too, In the UK if you are a known positive then you will be offered antibiotics in a drip form at the start of yr labour. This means you will go into hospital as soon as you start as one cycle takes about 4hrs and they like to give you 2 cycles. I know that if yr waters break suddenly before you have had time to realise you are in labour it can increase the risks of cross infection to baby but dont get too hung up on google with horror stories, there are many happy endings which we never hear about. Antibiotics help reduced the risk of passing it to baby by a huge percentage. It just means that baby will have to be monitored closely after birth to make sure there is no signs of infection. I go a leaflet from my consultant about it all and it gives you percentages and facts n figures that help put it all in perspctive so dont panic it is very common (1 in 3) women have it but the great news is you know you have it and can therefore be treated for the birth of yr child.

Hi hun just to let you know that baby is in no immediate danger, I too test positive for Group B strep and infact went on to have wonderful homebirth last time round although we were on the ball taking babies temperature on a regular basis and looking out for symptons such as fast breathing etc. My doctor paid a home visit and did not seem hugely concerned.

I am hoping for another home birth this time and have been advised that most hospitals no longer give antibiotics as a precaution if Group B was found on a swab but if found in urine then will give them as the risk of passing it on is higher. There is a higher chance that your waters may break sooner as mine have in two labours. Wait and see what your midwife says but in the meantime take a quick look at homebirth.org there is quite alot of info on there and the options open to you. Please don't worry so many babies are born to Mums that carry group B strep and are born perfectly well and at least we know unlike some women that we carry it and can take the steps and be more vigilant after birth xx

thanks for the replies, nice to get some info and support about it, i worry wen im pregnant if it all goes to plan nevermind now iv been told this :( along as my baby gets here healthy i dont care :) xxxxxxxxx

I actually had to go to the doctor this morning to do my testing for Strep B. While I was there they gave me a spreadsheet with facts about Strep B so I'll share what info they provided for me.

1. Strep B (Streptococcus) is a bacteria which can be present in the lower intestinal tract and vagina of 1 out of every 3-5 women. It is NOT a sexually transmitted infection, and usually causes no illness in the adult, although it is associated with urinary tract infections.

2. 1-2 out of every 1000 newborn babies will develop an infection during the first few days of life and in most cases this is due to Group B Strep, which may be transmitted from the mother. This infection is treatable but can sometimes cause very serious illness or death.

3. In an effort to help prevent this infection your care provider will offer to preform a culture of the vagina and rectum during the ninth month of pregnancy to determine if you carry the bacteria. If the test is positive we will advise you to receive antibiotics during labor. If the test is negative the likelihood of Group B Strep being present during labor is very low. This method of treatment will help lower the risk of the newborn infections.

4. There may be other factors besides a positive culture that may indicate the need for antibiotics during labor. If you have had a previous child with a newborn infection make sure your care providers are aware.

5. Group B Strep is fairly common in pregnant women. Fortunately very few babies become infected. Through the use of antibiotics in selected individuals during labor the relative low risk of Group B Strep infection in newborns can be made even less.

Hope this helps a little I'm from the US and this was some info that was passed along to me from my OB. xx

I actually had to go to the doctor this morning to do my testing for Strep B. While I was there they gave me a spreadsheet with facts about Strep B so I'll share what info they provided for me.

1. Strep B (Streptococcus) is a bacteria which can be present in the lower intestinal tract and vagina of 1 out of every 3-5 women. It is NOT a sexually transmitted infection, and usually causes no illness in the adult, although it is associated with urinary tract infections.

2. 1-2 out of every 1000 newborn babies will develop an infection during the first few days of life and in most cases this is due to Group B Strep, which may be transmitted from the mother. This infection is treatable but can sometimes cause very serious illness or death.

3. In an effort to help prevent this infection your care provider will offer to preform a culture of the vagina and rectum during the ninth month of pregnancy to determine if you carry the bacteria. If the test is positive we will advise you to receive antibiotics during labor. If the test is negative the likelihood of Group B Strep being present during labor is very low. This method of treatment will help lower the risk of the newborn infections.

4. There may be other factors besides a positive culture that may indicate the need for antibiotics during labor. If you have had a previous child with a newborn infection make sure your care providers are aware.

5. Group B Strep is fairly common in pregnant women. Fortunately very few babies become infected. Through the use of antibiotics in selected individuals during labor the relative low risk of Group B Strep infection in newborns can be made even less.

Hope this helps a little I'm from the US and this was some info that was passed along to me from my OB. xx

thanks that really helped :) hopefully i will get more info when i c my midwife and consultant in th nxt few days :) thanks agen xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->