group b strep question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Ablaski17, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Ablaski17

Ablaski17 mommy to a little girl<3

Has anyone been positive with it? What happens in labour? Did they induce you or c section you? Was baby ok?

2. littledancer

littledancer Well-Known Member

I know that all pregnant moms in Canada have to have this around 34 weeks and that they repeat the test at the time of birth- I think they just have to take precautions if you're positive but I'm not sure about induction or C section etc. I'm interested to find out!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :)

3. Pinkfly

Pinkfly Mum of 2 boys & Pink bump

Hya Hun

I have been treated for this for both my sons, There was a big yellow sticker on the front of my notes so that when I wnt to have them they would know to treat for GBS.

I was given Intravenous Antibiotics (through a drip in my hand) throughout the labour cant remember the frequency but think they top it up every couple of hours..
    When my first son was born they kept us in for 2 days so they could keep an eye on him with my second had exactly the same (the IV antibiotics) and we were home again the next day ... xx

4. bekkie

bekkie Mommy Due Sept 20

they do this by pap test right? I have my 34 week appt tomorrow and no one has said anything to me about it being anything other than checking babys heart beat and the regular stuff

5. LoobyLou75

LoobyLou75 Mum of 3

I have to say this has worried me recently after talking to a lady who had it with her last bab It's not routinely offered in the UK and I would like to know how you could possibly know if you have this?

6. LouLou78

LouLou78 Mum to 3 gorgeous girls

Group B strep is not an indicator for a Caesarian Section or Induction. IV drugs in labour and observations after is what is recommended care in the UK.:)

7. claire99991

claire99991 Mum of 2....

i tested positive with my daughter they gave me 2 lots of IV antibiotics when i was in labour with her they took about 20 min to go thru on the drip and then it was disconnected till i needed the next lot at 4 hour intervels ill be treated for it this time as well just cos i tested positive the 1st time xx

8. cutie4evr01

cutie4evr01 Well-Known Member

They checked me at 36 weeks last week and I've got it - I'll be given penicillin through the IV when I get to the hospital, then they'll remove it so I can move about, then give more every 4 hours. (I'm in the US by the way)

From my own researching, without antibiotic, the chances of baby getting infected are 1 in 200, but with antibiotic, they are reduced to 1 in 4000-5000. It's very common and safe from what I can tell.