Group B Strep Test

theroselegacy

Reaction score
What week is this test required, and I was wondering if anyone has ever requested to do the test themselves? I've read about women doing it themselves but didn't know how common/normal that was?

I think a common time here ( I'm in the US) is about 36 wks. It's just a little swab with a q tip nothing bad.

( to answer the second part, my doctor did mine, but if you really want to, just ask your doc if you can just do it I guess)

Okay cool, yeah I might just ask to do it myself. I just don't feel like having anyone or anything "down there" until labor/delivery.

I hear ya girl! How many weeks are you now? All you would need is the little culture tube to put the swab in and send it off. I can't imagine it would be that big of a deal, it's not like you have to swab very deep, just a little bit inside...

I am 34 weeks :) And yes, I heard it was just a basic swab of that area, so like you said it shouldn't be a problem!

I was expecting the doctor to do it, and instead they handed me the swab on my way in to the bathroom and I did it along with my regular pee-in-a-cup routine before I even saw the doctor. It's pretty easy to do yourself. I can't expect they'd say no if you ask.

However, if they don't let you do it yourself, don't worry. It's not super invasive. The swab only has to go in about an inch or so to get a sample, and they just swipe from your hoochie to your bum. It's not that bad. They'll be giving you internal exams around that time too to see how dilated and effaced you are. Those are much more invasive. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->