Growing up milk Vs cows milk

shortie1990

Mummy to two under 2 :)
Reaction score
What are you going to be doing as your LO approaches 1? I'm assuming growing up milk has better nourishment in it? But what about cows milk isn't that good for teeth and bones? Also cheaper/more convenient?

The choice is yours reallt but we have kept Harrison on his comfort formula for now (half a tub left) then we have a tub of growing up milk before we attempt him on cows milk x

we are on cows milk. hv told me it as just eprsonal choice xxxx

I'm definately leaning more towards cows milk at the moment (more for the money side of things to be honest) but am still open if you know what i mean?
I'm sorry i cant be more help but i will be stalking your thread lol. xx

I just think formula is just so expensive! And it stinks! (well cow and gate does!)

We use both. Cow milk during the day & toddlers milk for bedtime. He's picky eater, this is why I give him toddlers milk. When he's off food, I give him toddlers milk only xx

My older girls all went onto cows milk fully at 11months.... all was fine! But my LO has to stay on her formula milk for as long as possible, but she does have cows milk as a drink with breakfast

I think it's more a personal choice :flow:

i agree with others, its a personal thing. we have nicole on cows milk fully since she was 7mths (hv and gp advice).

I`ll be trying Jess with cows milk in about 4 weeks time. Mainly because its cheaper and she has a good diet without needing the extra nutrients from the Growing Up Milk :flower:

Aidan was introduced to cows milk at 1 year old. My HV said that the growing up milk has no more nurtional value than cow's milk and it just a way to make more money:shrug: Not sure but Aidan had 3 bottles of cow's milk and cereal. Now he has milk in a cup with his breakfast and just before bed. x

i agree with others, its a personal thing. we have nicole on cows milk fully since she was 7mths (hv and gp advice).

oh right thats interesting, may I be really nosey and ask why? was she not getting on with formula?

I gave LO a bottle of whole milk on saturday as OH didnt tell me he'd used up all the formula! :dohh: and he seemed fine with it

I wondered about this too. We have decided to go with cows milk though. H gets enough nutrients from a balanced diet - i hope! So cows milk it is. I have been using it on cerial for a month or 2 and started adding in a oz or so into his bottle and hes not bothered. In fact im more concerned that he doesnt really drink milk any more, for the last 3 weeks or so he only has about 6-8oz a day. Just not intrested!

P.S my friend little boy was put on cows milk fully at 6months as 'they' said he was gainign too much weight and didnt need the extra calories of formula?!?

I wondered about this too. We have decided to go with cows milk though. H gets enough nutrients from a balanced diet - i hope! So cows milk it is. I have been using it on cerial for a month or 2 and started adding in a oz or so into his bottle and hes not bothered. In fact im more concerned that he doesnt really drink milk any more, for the last 3 weeks or so he only has about 6-8oz a day. Just not intrested!

P.S my friend little boy was put on cows milk fully at 6months as 'they' said he was gainign too much weight and didnt need the extra calories of formula?!?

I thought the reason they couldnt have cows milk before 1, was because they couldnt digest it properly, not the nurishment value?? or do they just make stuff up as they go along??

I have to stop BFing when LO is around 7 months and have contacted a lactation consultant. She's advices me that the best alternative is fresh cow milk (not powdered or reconstituted). So I'll be letting LO drink that.

I thought the reason they couldnt have cows milk before 1, was because they couldnt digest it properly, not the nurishment value?? or do they just make stuff up as they go along??

I thought that too. Im sure they do make stuff up as they go along :haha:

Im only giving Jess cows milk at 12 months bang on as we are going on holiday in 3 weeks so want to wait until after that, dont want to use cows milk abroad...otherwise, I would start to introduce it now :flower:

It's a way off for us, but I went to an HV led session on child nutrition when Izzy was about 8 weeks old and we were told that toddler/growing up milk is a bit of a con. Cows milk is abslutely adequate post 1 year, and the only reason that toddlers would need any of the extra nutrients in toddler/growing up milk is if they weren't being fed a balanced diet?

For that reason alone I will be moving straight to cows milk.:thumbup:

Yeah i did too, i thought it was daft to say he didnt need the calories??! wtf? Anyway i dont know them well enough to keep asking questions if you know what i mean so thats as far as my knowledge goes! x

can i just say that kids dont neeeeed follow on milk per sey. Its more a money making thing from the formula companies.
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"