Growth Spurt? Help!

StayHopeful

Reaction score
My DS is 4 1/2 weeks old. At the beginning of the week, he'd seemed to settle into a little bit of a routine as far as eating every 2-3 hours and eating for 10-15 minutes, usually just one side per feeding so I'd alternate sides. But the past day or two, he's been wanting to eat every hour to hour and a half and nursing for 20-30 min. Is this a growth spurt? I know the usual times are 2-3 weeks and 6 weeks, but he was 3 weeks early so I don't know if that would throw off the schedule. He may have already gone through one, but if he did at 2 weeks I was so sleep deprived and still trying to figure things out so I honestly didn't notice if he was eating more than usual because I hadn't figured out yet what usual was. This frequent, longer feeding thing is exhausting though! And I started pumping a week and a half ago so I'm still getting used to it and the combination of the two is making me so sore! Both sides feel almost bruised. Anyone have any helpful thoughts? Is all of this normal? :wacko:

The first 6-8 weeks can be just one growth spurt after another and kind of blend together. Your supply won't really settle until 8+ weeks, so until then it'll be all about your LO trying to help by bringing in as much milk as he needs. Which often, unfortunately, comes in the form of very frequent feeds. Just stick with it and at some point it will calm down. I know that's pretty vague and not overly helpful, but in hindsight I promise it will seem like a very short time in your LO's life. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->