Grunting and crying newborn

Rosesrred

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m breastfeeding my 2 week old. He feeds every 3 hours during the day, sometimes more often and is pretty settled and content. Not overly keen on being put down but usually settles in Moses basket or sleepyhead.
However, over the past 3-4 nights he has been a nightmare from 10pm til about 5am! He grunts like crazy and screams and arches his back. Nothing will soothe him except latching on, sometimes he doesn’t even suck, just content with nipple in his mouth! I haven’t been able to sleep for 3 days now as he will only settle on my chest at night. It’s exhausting but I also hate thinking he’s in pain.
He is pretty good at getting wind up and we usually have 1-2 big burps after a feed.
I have noticed he isn’t doing as many poo nappies any more, maybe only 2 small ones a day.

Can anyone give me some advice? I’m exhausted and at my wits end!

Im in same sort of situation. Baby change into a tiny cute monster from 10-5am! Just wants nipple in her mouth hardly sucks but I'm getting to little sleep. She's exhausted by 5am and will sleep all day until I wake her up. It reduces me to tears but she's only 9 days old so got to have faith itll either get easier or become the norm lol!

It sounds pretty typical of fussy evening/ nighttime new born and cluster feeding. My first was like this from 4pm to the small hours and would happily stay on my boob! We resorted to a dummy for my sanity which she happily took. This baby gets fussy and lots of feeding 5-2am. It is exhausting but pretty normal, have you tried a dummy for your own peace of mind as it is draining!!

Totally normal! Not fun, but normal! Add in a growth spurt around 2- 3 weeks and it can be tough going. Just keep offering the boob. You can't go wrong with a bit of boob!

Does sound completely normal!
So long as there’s no vomiting feeds etc, unless your worried (obviously see your dr if you are) I’d just pass it off as normal newborn behaviour.

Remember “this too shall pass” :hugs:

Thanks everyone, my nipples are very sore as a result of the constant sucking and feeding, I think one is cracked but they also feel very bruised. Any tips on easing the pain? I was considering expressing all the feeds today to give my nipples a break?

Lansinoh cream. I’d try not to stop as they will heal and become tough from it plus at 2 weeks baby is still establishing feeding etc. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->