Had a gastric sleeve 6 months ago and 7 weeks pregnant

Becky123

Mum to Owen Rhys
Reaction score
Pregnancy was a bit of a surprise but am v v happy.
The thing is I had a gastric sleeve 6 months ago and feel like I am not getting enough nutrition in, I just can't physically eat the food and struggle to get much down at all.
Am really concerned this is going to affect the baby.
My GP has also stopped all my vitamins except for folic acid and am also seriously concerned about that as my calcium and a load of other were v v low. She wont restart any vitamins etc until I have seen the midwife!
Any advice would be greatfully recieved

Beck have you spoken to your Bariatric team about this? I had a gastric sleeve 18 months ago (june 10th 2013) and my team were not thrilled at the news I was TTC as I had several vit deficiencies and was still losing weight but they have accepted that I am pregnant, what else could they do?

Obvioualy it's not idea falling pregnant while your still losing at a rapid pace as you will be 6 months post op but hey ho I am sure you will be fine as long as you follow the support of your team. Maybe your GP could contact our local weight management/bariatric team and ask them for advice on how to support you? I would make sure that you are eating as high nutritional meals as possible and add more meals in if you can. I have had to go back to eating 4-6 times a day as the weight is dropping off me since I got pregnant and I have been told to focus on maintaining my weight which is proving easier said than done (lost 12lbs in the last month) I was advised to start eating full fat yogurts/milks etc. I am struggling to get food in a lot of the time despite feeling hungry (I get full very quickly or feel sick). I have days I can barely eat a thing and days where I'm starving. The days I'm starving I let myself eat whatever and however often I like as long as it's nutritional. My team want to see me every 3 months to run bloods, I am also to see a metabolic midwife and I am classed as high risk so will be under consultant care and get extra scans to check baby is growing ok. I am on forceval (vitamin), 5mg folic acid as I had a folate deficiency, B12 injections and a calcium/vit D supplement. There is no reason for your Gp to have taken you off your supplements. In fact they are more important now!! Personally I would at least go and buy pregnancy vitamins and start taking them. Think of ways of getting high nutrition in - home made soups have been a god send to me on days I could t stomach food or found I was struggling to get food in. Don't mean to sound like a downer but my midwife hadn't a clue what to do in my situation, I would t rely on her, get in touch with the people who done your sleeve and ask for advice! Was is private or Nhs? I am lucky that I was Nhs so I have a huge support network there.

Don't hesitate to contact me. I doubt there are many people in our situation, it's actually lovely for me to know I'm not alone ��

P.s. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Congratulations on your pregnancy and weight loss! That's awesome!

Can you at least take a prenatal while you wait to see the midwife? Vitamins are soooo important at this stage.

Congratulations!! I think Lisa covered the bases!

Yup, I think pp have pretty much covered it. I just wanted to reassure you baby will take what it needs and leave you laying in the dust. Think of it as more of a parsite right now that's draining you of nutrients. I had horrible morning sickness up until a few weeks ago and I couldn't hold a thing down. I mean I would puke until I saw bile, then puke some more. Baby is measuring ahead with a HB of 155. I promise baby will get everything it needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->